Franken at the FCC, when the Net Neutrality fell. His eyes open!!!

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
The FCC hasn't been about the public in decades now. Don't expect an organization that classifies verizon as small business in bidding for wireless to go against them in other areas.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Lulz, you net neutrality supporters are always good for a laugh.

If you force wireless to not have quality of service the restrictions of the physical layer mean service will suck for everybody.

Good job! You got what you wanted!

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
The only things I like in this thread are the TNG episode Darmok references.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Nice TNG reference. Just watched that episode a couple days ago.

Re: net neutrality -- prioritization does not contradict the idea of a "free and open Internet". Prioritization is designed for one thing and one thing only: to insure a good quality of service. No prioritization = shitty voice calls, shittly streaming video (or insanely long buffer times), etc. Without prioritization, real-time media services will effectively vanish. Anyone who doesn't believe that has never tried to implement a real-time service over lines that are not under their direct control...believe me, it doesn't work very well.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Lulz, you net neutrality supporters are always good for a laugh.

If you force wireless to not have quality of service the restrictions of the physical layer mean service will suck for everybody.

Good job! You got what you wanted!

waaaaaah!!!!

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Please, do elaborate.

Different applications have different requirements from a network. Some need high speed but don't care about latency or jitter or packet loss. Others need medium speed but are REALLY picky about latency and packet loss, but not so much jitter. Some are low bandwidth but can't tolerate high latency, jitter or packet loss at all.

I just described voice, video and data. You can figure out which one is which.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Different applications have different requirements from a network. Some need high speed but don't care about latency or jitter or packet loss. Others need medium speed but are REALLY picky about latency and packet loss, but not so much jitter. Some are low bandwidth but can't tolerate high latency, jitter or packet loss at all.

I just described voice, video and data. You can figure out which one is which.

:) Can't wait till it's tiered and costs 3x as much. But hey, who's counting...everyone makes just as much as you, right moneybags?

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Last edited:

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
:) Can't wait till it's tiered and costs 3x as much. But hey, who's counting...everyone makes just as much as you, right moneybags?

Are you kidding me? Bandwidth costs continue to go down in what is essentially one of the most competitive industries in the country.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Are you kidding me? Bandwidth costs continue to go down in what is essentially one of the most competitive industries in the country.

For now...for now...And no, I'm not kidding you. Businesses are out to make money, and they'll do it any way they can. You give them more control, and they'll use it to the furthest extent possible to make more money.