Frank Herbert's Dune

samgau

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
The first Dune series covers the first DUNE book, the children of Dune series covers the DUNE messiah, and Children of DUNE books. Both series are pretty good in my opinon.... :)

CastorTr0y

Jun 18, 2003
Yes, it was pretty good. And yes, there wes a sequel. I think they called it Children of Dune or something, but it also covered Messiah. Basically it's books 2 and 3 in like 6 hr mini-series.

Also, if you like it, I highly recommend the books, if you haven't read those already.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
While being very low budget and some of the costumes being ridiculous, I enjoyed the Dune mini-series a lot. Because of its length it could fit a lot from the book.

I enjoyed the sequel (Children of Dune) twice as much...it was really well done IMO and a nice way to fit books 2 and 3 into one mini-series.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: kami
While being very low budget and some of the costumes being ridiculous, I enjoyed the Dune mini-series a lot. Because of its length it could fit a lot from the book.

I enjoyed the sequel (Children of Dune) twice as much...it was really well done IMO and a nice way to fit books 2 and 3 into one mini-series.

It was passable, but the Lynch version captured the mystique and drama better. IMHO

b4u

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2002
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I would like you to check this links:

[1] www.amazon.co.uk -> Frank Herbert's Dune--TV series (2000)

[2] www.amazon.com -> Frank Herbert's Dune (TV Miniseries) (Director's Cut Special Edition)

I just bought the 1st one, and then I saw the second one. I do believe it's the same stuff, but the 2nd one has some more scenes (cutted from the original). Do you think I made a bad choice? I choosed the 1st one some time ago, when the 2nd one didn't exist, and now I just select-and-go ... I should have searched again!

And the diference in price! How could be such a huge difference?

Some one to clear my mind, or I'll have nightmares for the next 2 weeks ...

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It does add another 30 minutes, but its not terribly noticable. It is little bits and pieces and lines thrown in.

When I watched the director's cut a few months after seeing the original I had a lot of trouble noticing new scenes. The best reason for owning it (for me) was that the Director's Cut was anamorphic and the original (in Region 1 anyway) wasn't.

It's not as dramatic of a difference as say Fellowship of the Ring vs. Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition.

b4u

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2002
It's not as dramatic of a difference as say Fellowship of the Ring vs. Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition.

Well, at least I got that one right ... :)

I'll wait to see the product, and then return it before opening.

Meanwhile, I would like to make some more questions:

[1] "Widescreen anamorphic format" -> What is that?

[2] I live in Europe, so my region encoding should be Region 2. That is, if I buy a Region 1 DVD, I can't play it on a regular DVD player, unless the DVD player is a multi-region. Am I right about this? If I buy a multy-region DVD player I should play ANY DVD with no problems? (Within a couple of months, I'll enter the process of choosing a home theater (I love this name) to my living room, so DVD, AV, TVSet will all be choosen carefully :))

[3] Am I correct to assume there will be a "Director's Cut Special Edition" to the "Children Of Dune" DVD? How much time, in your opinion, should it take to hit the stores? (It seems this first DVD took 1 & 1/2 years to appear)

Thanks

Storm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 1999
Originally posted by: djheater

It was passable, but the Lynch version captured the mystique and drama better. IMHO

I agree one of these days someone will get Dune right.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: b4u

Well, at least I got that one right ... :)

I'll wait to see the product, and then return it before opening.

Meanwhile, I would like to make some more questions:

[1] "Widescreen anamorphic format" -> What is that?

[2] I live in Europe, so my region encoding should be Region 2. That is, if I buy a Region 1 DVD, I can't play it on a regular DVD player, unless the DVD player is a multi-region. Am I right about this? If I buy a multy-region DVD player I should play ANY DVD with no problems? (Within a couple of months, I'll enter the process of choosing a home theater (I love this name) to my living room, so DVD, AV, TVSet will all be choosen carefully :))

[3] Am I correct to assume there will be a "Director's Cut Special Edition" to the "Children Of Dune" DVD? How much time, in your opinion, should it take to hit the stores? (It seems this first DVD took 1 & 1/2 years to appear)

Thanks
Widescreen tends to be a 16:9 aspect ratio, which basically means that there are 16/9 times more vertical lines of resolution than horizontal lines.

b4u

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Howard
Widescreen tends to be a 16:9 aspect ratio, which basically means that there are 16/9 times more vertical lines of resolution than horizontal lines.

So is"Widescreen anamorphic format" the same as saying Widwscreen 16:9?

Because I can read the following lines:
Newly remastered 16x9 widescreen version
Widescreen anamorphic format

... ence the reason for me to think that anamorphic would be something diferent from 16:9.

What about this ones :)? Anyone can help?:

Originally posted by: b4u

Thanks

HomerSapien

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2000
You guys should read the series. Much better than the movies. Im currently halfway through the fifth book, Heretics of Dune. God Emperor was a good book and would be pretty sweet if they realeased that into a tv series.