France Seeks Big Role in Post-War Iraq

Leon

Platinum Member
Nov 14, 1999
Interesting article

While French contributed nothing to this war, they already thinking about profits from it. Let the dirty Americans do all the fightning, while they get more oil contracts, and not a single buck spent for war costs/reconstruction. Talk about an easy ride there....

Leon

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Makes sense; France is all about being pro-French and anti-USA. The entire country collectively needs an escargot enema.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Leon
Interesting article

While French contributed nothing to this war, they already thinking about profits from it. Let the dirty Americans do all the fightning, while they get more oil contracts, and not a single buck spent for war costs/reconstruction. Talk about an easy ride there....

Leon

They, along with the Russians, want their current oil contracts honored, too. I dont think that will happen...

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
What a bunch of weasels! I think we should keep them out of Iraq permanently. The criteria should be "have you done anytning to aid the liberation of Iraq?"

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
So let's see . . . do you think US companies would not INSIST the US governement use influence in the same manner as France and Russia? Two years ago it was bomb Palestine until the desert is covered in glass. Last year it was bomb the entire Middle East. Now we're bombing Iraq and the peanut gallery is complaining about who builds what . . . you guys are poo poo heads. We WANT the French, Russians, and anybody else with two nickels to help pay for rebuilding Iraq. Cheney's boys at Halliburton may like cost+ contracts awarded without competitive bidding but somebody has to pay that bill . . . at the moment we are on the hook for the entire bill.

If the French and Russians want oil contracts honored . . . why NOT? It's the honorable thing to do . . . plus they will have to invest billions in order for Iraq to produce enough oil to make the ventures worthwhile.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
I think the honorable thing to do is to allow the Iraqi people and their future government to choose who they want to develop their oil fields, whether it be a company from the USA, France, Russia, or another country. Saddam Hussien granted the oil contracts in an attempt to get France and Russia to advocate lifting sanctions. Its funny how the day after the Russian Foreign Minister praised Iraq's cooperation with the inspectors, Iraq reinstated a large contract it had cancelled with a Russian oil company. The cancellation came soon after Russia voted in favor of Res. 1441

Until the Iraqi's are allowed to vote and elect their own government, I dont think anyone should get contracts for the development of the oil fields. However, right now, we need to have people in Iraq to put out oil fires, fix pipelines, etc. So I support those things being taken care of now. But long term contracts for large amounts of oil, are, IMO, premature.

Trezza

Sep 18, 2002
cnn just reported that they [UN] expects the US to pay the bill. but i am sure france and russia will lend aid or will they.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
France will just have to join the queue like everyone else to see who the Iraqi's want to rebuild their country.

Andy

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Mookow
I think the honorable thing to do is to allow the Iraqi people and their future government to choose who they want to develop their oil fields, whether it be a company from the USA, France, Russia, or another country. Saddam Hussien granted the oil contracts in an attempt to get France and Russia to advocate lifting sanctions. Its funny how the day after the Russian Foreign Minister praised Iraq's cooperation with the inspectors, Iraq reinstated a large contract it had cancelled with a Russian oil company. The cancellation came soon after Russia voted in favor of Res. 1441

I did not know this. Can you post a link please?

Andy

Trezza

Sep 18, 2002
you know whats funny they wont fight for the Iraqis quality of life but are willing to get there hands in the rebuilding phase to line there pockets.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Fencer128
Originally posted by: Mookow

I did not know this. Can you post a link please?

Andy

It is true. I might try to find a link for it also. He basically blackmailed Russia into using their veto powers.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Fencer128
France will just have to join the queue like everyone else to see who the Iraqi's want to rebuild their country.

Andy

Yup, Iraq should decide.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
If the French and Russians want oil contracts honored . . . why NOT? It's the honorable thing to do . . . plus they will have to invest billions in order for Iraq to produce enough oil to make the ventures worthwhile.
Because those extremely lopsided contracts were negotiated by a dictator for his own political and economic gain and are thus illegitimate. The Iraqi people should have a say in those contracts.

I'm not opposed to partnering with the French and Russians, but given their utter obstructionism and refusal to join the coalition, leaving the United States to assume all the risks including intense criticism, access to Iraq's reconstruction should come at a premium.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Leon
Interesting article

Leon

War costs, sure, but these type of contracts *would* be considered reconstruction.

Let's take a second here: France opposes the war, it also has contracts with Iraq, I don't know if they have actually spent anything yet on the current contracts. If anyone should decide it should be the Iraqi's.

Are you implying that only Coalition members should be involved?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: tcsenter
Because those extremely lopsided contracts were negotiated by a dictator for his own political and economic gain and are thus illegitimate. The Iraqi people should have a say in those contracts.

I'm not opposed to partnering with the French and Russians, but given their utter obstructionism and refusal to join the coalition, leaving the United States to assume all the risks including intense criticism, access to Iraq's reconstruction should come at a premium.

I really don't understand that(bolded) statement. France didn't leave anything, the US has gone in under it's own volition. This wasn't a UN "approved" act that France backed out of, it is an unapproved act that the US took despite France's(and others) opposition. If all the contracts for reconstruction go to Coalition members, especially if they are chosen by some form of Coalition controlled government, the reconstruction will appear as a form of thievery.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: dahunan
What if the Iraqis vote to let the US and Britain consult/decide for them?

In that case, which I doubt would happen, the Coalition should make the choice wisely.

On the flipside: What if Iraqi's choose France/Russia?

arynn

Feb 16, 2001
The money currently earmarked for rebuilding Iraq is US money and therefore will go to US companies. (I imagine money will go to other coalition members as well.) These contracts only seem to be for things that need immediate attention, such as the oil well fires. The US doesn't have the authority to award any kind of long term contracts - I fully expect no long term contracts will be awarded until an Iraqi government is in place. (The US/UK et al may start to work on other things such as repairing pipelines etc. before the Iraqi government is in place.) The world community will hold the US to its statements that the invasion of Iraq was not for monetary gain.

However, France declaring that they want a large role in Post-War Iraq is ludicrous. The US/UK et al will go back to the UNSC (or whoever in the UN they would go to for such matters) to administer post-war Iraq. However, if France does not allow a resolution that legitimizes the military action they will likely be frozen out. (I fully expect them to cave on that - I don't think Chirac is that stupid.)

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
easy solution, let france and russia have all the burnt up oil wells.

its funny how all the enviro anti-war liberals get back stabbed by saddam as he torches all the oil wells to create and environmental disaster. he's their favorite dictator

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Screwel em..keep em out of the loop. Let em eat them slimey things crawling around in the back yard and wash it down with their crappy vino.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: dahunan
What if the Iraqis vote to let the US and Britain consult/decide for them?

In that case, which I doubt would happen, the Coalition should make the choice wisely.

On the flipside: What if Iraqi's choose France/Russia?

Personally, I doubt the majority of Iraqis really know much at all about economic freedom and capitalism.

When voting time comes it will surely be interesting.

Tony Blair is in America today to try to persuade Bush on this exact same subject.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: ReiAyanami
easy solution, let france and russia have all the burnt up oil wells.

its funny how all the enviro anti-war liberals get back stabbed by saddam as he torches all the oil wells to create and environmental disaster. he's their favorite dictator

rolleye.gif