France Proposes Ending Sanctions

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
link

It's the right step in the right direction for France. But I'm suspicious of their motives. If anyone here remembers France's shifting alliances during the Hapsburg empire will know what I'm talking about.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: ConclamoLudus
With all due respect was Chirac even born yet? I'm skeptic of him for more recent shiftings.

It's not the individual leaders, but the nature of the french: to shift alliances until they are the preemminent power. A month ago they were with the russians against Operation Iraqi Freedom. Now they want to side with us in lifting the sanctions, leaving the Russians out in the cold.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
It's appropriate to be suspicious of French motives but in this case, I think the French have no choice.

Bleep

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

Did anyone read the link?? it does not say "ending sanctions" it says "suspending sanctions" which is a complely different thing.

Bleep

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Bleep

Did anyone read the link?? it does not say "ending sanctions" it says "suspending sanctions" which is a complely different thing.

Bleep

No, I hadn't read it... thanks.

Ah, France is clearing their path of retreat for when they change their mind again. Not surprising.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Suspending/ending the sanctions has to be the biggest no brainer there ever was.

It's like saying I'm for giving someone who's bleeding a bandage.

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Squisher
Suspending/ending the sanctions has to be the biggest no brainer there ever was.

It's like saying I'm for giving someone who's bleeding a bandage.

Yea, but France only wants to give it temporarily... until they can make more money by taking it away instead.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Whatever. Like anyone is even going to obey santions even if they weren't lifted now that saddam is gone. Can you imagine any CEO saying, "Well golly, I can't sell anything in Iraq since the UN sanctions are still in effect!" There would be zero enforcement of the sanctions right now and going forward. It's not that suspending santions is bad but it's going to be done anyway whether it's be de facto or by law.