Fram Oil Filters????

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Howard
Originally posted by: flxnimprtmscl
K&N/Mobil 1 here. Been using this combo for years. It's a lot more expensive that Fram/some junk oil, but it's money well spent imo. I'd bypass the filter before I'd put a Fram on. If you're going to go with Fram you might as way save yourself the money and just run without a filter. Do you about as much good.
K&N air filter?

Personally, I'd stick with the stock or another paper air filter. Filters more out of the air, and the performance "decrease" is negligible anyway.

This is a thread about oil filters - why in god's name are you bringing up air filters?

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: weezergirl
hmm i have a fram AIR filter...is that bad as well????
that was the only kind they sold at kragen :(

ironically, i've read that fram air filters are decent. It's like an anti k&n (who has sh*tty air filters, but good oil filters).

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
First time replacing my own vehicle's oil/filter and I went with a FRAM :(

So what's the top 3 rated filters you'd consider putting in your cars? And where online would I be able to make a purchase?

All we have up in Canada is Canadian Tire and PartsSource

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Marlin1975

Most I have seen use a Generic Fram filter. But I think they are allowed to buy what they want if it is a truely independent Jiffy. You can also bring your own filter in. Or juts go to wal-mart and tell them to use a Tech2000 filter on your car with what ever oil you like.

Juts DON'T let them UPSALE the fram to you.

Ok, I'm gonna go against the crowd and say that frams aren't THAT bad. Yes, they suck, yes there are better quality filters out there, yes, i'd prefer not to use them, but it's not like if you use them, you will cause serious damage to your car.

I've cut open a supertech filter before and they're pretty bad. Dare I say worse than the honda OEM fram filters I've cut open. Now, this was fairly recently, so I don't know if ST filters have always been like this, or this is a product of recent cost cutting.

I will say though, I have not cut open an orange box fram yet. Even though some honda filters are fram, Honda may retain atleast some amount of quality requirements so that their OEM fram filters aren't abysmal.

I use either filtech honda OEM filters, pureone, or mobil 1 oil filters. I don't buy fram honda OEM filters myself, I refuse them when I go to the dealership. Either mobil 1 or castrol GTX engine oil.