Fram Oil Filters????

techfuzz

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
I saw in another thread about oil changes that a couple people don't recommend using Fram filters. What makes them crappier than say an OEM Honda filter?

techfuzz

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Staples in the filter, for one.

They break down too fast. I use K&N or Napa Gold filters.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Fram uses some very low quality parts, like cardboard for end caps, low quality or non exctiance drain back valves, etc......

And be careful using OEM honda filters now, they have Fram make a lot of them. So if it is a USA honda filter DON'T get it.

Some good filters are.....

Autozone = STP, Bosch, Mobil1, ACDelco
Advance = Purolator
Napa = Napa Gold

Also Wix, Tech2000(walmart), etc.....

Basicly anything NOT made by fram

Ogg

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2003
Roger please come back.............
We love you man :(

and we miss you too
:D:D:D:D:D

bernse

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
There was a website that did a really detailed comparison of most brands of oil filters. Fram came out absolutely rock bottom in almost every category. Basically, it said they sucked really badly. Based on that review, I've never bought another Fram oil filter again I usually use AC/Delco. Hopefully Fram doesn't make their filters for them! :)

I'll see if I can't dig it up.

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Fram filters is a low quality filter using the bare minimum filter media, which can let dirt damage to your engine.

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
I've also had bad luck with Champion filters. They seemed to break down even quicker than the Fram filters.

techfuzz

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
I figured that was why everyone said to stay away from them. I really have no idea what kind of Honda filter they put in my car. I let the dealership change my oil, they're using whatever they have in the shop. Anyone know what they use?

techfuzz

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
STP is the best. Well, not the best, but close to those $10 filters for a lot less. Barely more then fram. Its what I use.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: MogulMonster
I've also had bad luck with Champion filters. They seemed to break down even quicker than the Fram filters.

How so and what was the name on them and when were they made???

I use their filters, under the name of STP-Tech2000-Bosch-Mobil1, and have never had a problem using oils from Walmarts tech2000 all the way up to Mobil1 syn.

I have bought and used well 100's of them on my and my customers cars. Never had a problem with them, esp. compared the the problems that came up with fram.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: zaku
I suppose a dealer would use OEM parts

Define OEM parts today. Oem USE to mean the comapny made the product, like a ACdelco filter was made by GM. Now Oem just means that is what came on the car MAYBE. Most companies do not make most of their parts, esp oil filters. So what comes on the car and what is installed at the dealer are usually not the same today. That rings very true with Honda.

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Marlin1975

I use their filters, under the name of STP-Tech2000-Bosch-Mobil1, and have never had a problem using oils from Walmarts tech2000 all the way up to Mobil1 syn.

I have bought and used well 100's of them on my and my customers cars. Never had a problem with them, esp. compared the the problems that came up with fram.

I bought 1 for both of my cars, and they were both Champion labeled filters. Picked them up at Bumper to Bumper. Both of them split when I took them off, because the casing was so thin. I don't tighten my filters too far, in fact, they only get 1/2 turn past hand-tight. After that, I decided to stick with K&N or Napa Gold.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Ugh, okay n00bs it doesn't require Roger to tell you that Fram also doesn't have a drain-back Valve that prevents the oil filter from draining out after the motor is off.

ACDelco regular cheap filters even have this (and why I use em), So does Mobil 1 and IIRC K&N.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000

I bought 1 for both of my cars, and they were both Champion labeled filters. Picked them up at Bumper to Bumper. Both of them split when I took them off, because the casing was so thin. I don't tighten my filters too far, in fact, they only get 1/2 turn past hand-tight. After that, I decided to stick with K&N or Napa Gold.

What do you mean they split, the can itself??? The casing is there to hold oil and the pressure. I am only worried about it if it cracks or leaks when the car is running. I have also had NapaGold, frams, etc... crack/split when I took them off, that is nothing new.

I am more worried about the insides, not the case on the outside.

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
I'm curious as to who makes the filters for Jiffy Lube, or maybe they just buy from many differnt vendors....

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: aircooled
I'm curious as to who makes the filters for Jiffy Lube, or maybe they just buy from many differnt vendors....

Most I have seen use a Generic Fram filter. But I think they are allowed to buy what they want if it is a truely independent Jiffy. You can also bring your own filter in. Or juts go to wal-mart and tell them to use a Tech2000 filter on your car with what ever oil you like.

Juts DON'T let them UPSALE the fram to you.

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001

What do you mean they split, the can itself??? The casing is there to hold oil and the pressure. I am only worried about it if it cracks or leaks when the car is running. I have also had NapaGold, frams, etc... crack/split when I took them off, that is nothing new.

I am more worried about the insides, not the case on the outside.

Yeah, the outer casing split. I thought the inside filter looked pretty rough, too, but I haven't opened up too many filters. I never have had any other filters do this, so I saw it as a sign of poor quality. My only experience is on the cars I own and my mother-in-law's car, though.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
I wont repeat what others have said, but its true. Fram is cheap to say the least.
People who know use Wix. People who wanna save a buck buy Napa Gold or Silver, there rebadged Wix filters.
I use Napa's filters myself.

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
What about Fram Tough Guard? Are they the same?

When I used those, I never noticed any improvement in my oil or oil life.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Watch out. Apparently quality caught up to the price and STP are no longer made by Champion IIRC. For you Honda guys, ask for a S2000 filter at the dealer. They're still the larger style filter and are Japanese made. And yes, the filters sold for Accords/Civics/etc. are now made by FRAM. Avoid these like the plague.