Fractal Core 3000 and closed loop watercooling

Galatian

Dec 7, 2012
Hey,

I have an Fractal Core 3000 and I was wondering whether I could fit a closed loop watercooling solution in the top fan mounts. The top fan mounts support 120 and 140 mm fans, so I was thinking about either the Corsair H100i (240 mm Radiator) or the Kraken 60 (280 mm Radiator). I read that the H100i is not as good compared to the H80i. Does anybody fit either one in their Core 3000?

Thanks for your answers!

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
I don't have this case but a H100i would fit. The Kraken should too, but I am not sure if there will be any clearance issues? Pretty sure the H100i is a little better than a H80i, if not equal.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Looks kinda tight in the upper end of that case. If you already have the rig up and running you'd have a better idea tho.

To me when looking at photos the 120mm fan mounts are in the wrong place to use with a 240mm rad such as the H100i(without modding). Not sure if there is enough room for the Kraken at all.

Galatian

Dec 7, 2012
Looks kinda tight in the upper end of that case. If you already have the rig up and running you'd have a better idea tho.

To me when looking at photos the 120mm fan mounts are in the wrong place to use with a 240mm rad such as the H100i(without modding). Not sure if there is enough room for the Kraken at all.

Yes you are completly right: I forgot since those are dual 140/120 mm slots, you could not put a 240 mm radiator in, since there would be a gap between each 120 mm slots. So the only thing that would fit is a 280 mm radiator. I'll have to measure the gap between the fan and the motherboard then, but I'll doubt it will fit.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Yes you are completly right: I forgot since those are dual 140/120 mm slots, you could not put a 240 mm radiator in, since there would be a gap between each 120 mm slots. So the only thing that would fit is a 280 mm radiator. I'll have to measure the gap between the fan and the motherboard then, but I'll doubt it will fit.

If the Kraken looks like it's a no go forsure I think you could make the H100i work still. The 120mm mount towards the front of the case is fine as a starting point. It kinda looks like to me when viewing images that possibley the vent holes might line up with the second fans mounting holes. The first vent hole from the front 120mm hole kinda looks like the correct spacing to me. Guess you could take a look and see if you have any 120mm fans laying around. The H100i would need the 120mm fans butted together to mount it.

Just in case I lost you I did a quick snag a photo and edit. Maybe the holes in red will mount the 2nd fan?

Fractal.jpg

I doubt it would effect temps much if any at all if the second fan is 100% lined up with the vents.

Last edited:

Galatian

Dec 7, 2012
If the Kraken looks like it's a no go forsure I think you could make the H100i work still. The 120mm mount towards the front of the case is fine as a starting point. It kinda looks like to me when viewing images that possibley the vent holes might line up with the second fans mounting holes. The first vent hole from the front 120mm hole kinda looks like the correct spacing to me. Guess you could take a look and see if you have any 120mm fans laying around. The H100i would need the 120mm fans butted together to mount it.

Just in case I lost you I did a quick snag a photo and edit. Maybe the holes in red will mount the 2nd fan?

Fractal.jpg

I doubt it would effect temps much if any at all if the second fan is 100% lined up with the vents.

I measured it out, but it would connect to the ATX mainboard, so there is no chance putting that in.

I was thinking about getting rid of the harddrive cage and the front fan and putting the radiator there.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
What about installing the H100i with only 4 screws on the top? Looking at the picture above it should be feasible.