Fractal case fan rubbing on grill

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
My bottom fan grinds against the grill since it sits really close to the grill and this often makes the grill to make contact with the spinning fan.

I'm quite astonished this is happening since the reputation of Fractal seems to be very high. I've tried taking pliers and putting some force to pull the grill out, but the steel is very strong and doesn't budge. Have anyone else encountered this problem? I have the Fractal R2 XL.

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
Puth washers or other thin stuff under the fan to elevate it, rather than pulling down the grill. The fan is on a plastic frame isn't it? The frame is bolted to the floor of the case, and the floor is the metal grill, isn't it? Padding between frame and case floor then.

I had Gentle Typhoon as front fan in Define R3 and it did grind against filter. GT was bulkier than Fractal's 120 mm fan.

Last edited:

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Luckily the case came with rubber washers. I stuck those in between the fan and the case and all is good. I'm still astonished that a quality case maker would let this one fall between the cracks though.