FPS drops on new GTX 1080 please help, it is faulty?

Trender

Mar 4, 2017
With my old RX 480 I didn't had this problem. Then I sold it and bought a MSI gtx 1080 gaming x and boom all problems.I ran memtest for 10 hours. I ran furmark. I ran 3dmark. Everything without problems. But then I go to play Black Desert or Battlefield 1 64p and I have drops from 150 looking a hill to 105 up and down all the time. I once even saw 55 FPS. I've put Afterburned and all I see when having fps drops is just GPU Load drops, gpu core keeps high stable. Both gpu and cpu temps are under 70º. I reinstalled (formatted) windows 10 3 times and used DDU countless times. I'm really sad I'm wasting all my summer free time in trying to fix it instead of playing as I thought this is depressing. Please help, I'm thinking on RMA the card but benchmarks runs fine.
PC specs:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B350-F/ASRock X370 Killer SLI
Memory: HOF4CXLBS3600K17LD162K
Video Card(s): MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
Hard Disk(s): 1x Samsung EVO 850 250 GB, 1x Seagate 2 TB
Monitor: Samsung LC24F390FHU
Power Supply: EVGA G3 650W
Mouse: Logitech G520
Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro

Here its a video I recorded as some people told me its normal having fps drops but I don't think this is normal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RsXBsViZ0A (Look from 0:25 to 0:30)

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
Did you properly remove any & all Radeon drivers before installing nvidia card & drivers?

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
I have the same problem in black desert with my GTX 660 but the card has been problem free for 5 years now.

I'm inclined to think its shitty coding and not the card since it doesn't happen in other games.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
sooooooo.... you've only tried one game and you've decided the card is faulty? lol

if it runs other games without issue and benches fine then it's more likely an issue with the game and not the hardware. hw faults are typically MUCH easier to diagnose than choppy gameplay. normally I'd say that's what you sign up for with EA but that seems a bit too erratic.

are you using AA and Depth of Field?

Trender

Mar 4, 2017
sooooooo.... you've only tried one game and you've decided the card is faulty? lol

if it runs other games without issue and benches fine then it's more likely an issue with the game and not the hardware. hw faults are typically MUCH easier to diagnose than choppy gameplay. normally I'd say that's what you sign up for with EA but that seems a bit too erratic.

are you using AA and Depth of Field?
No it isn't only a game, Its just that I recorded only that vid because its the game I play the most and it ran smooth as baby ass on my rx 480 which doesnt now on the gtx 1080. In battlefield 1 I've been looking to a hill at 150 fps and it goes up and down to 105, and I've saw like 4 times drops to 55 fps (I dont play looking at the fps). Also idk about this but more game problems is on League of Legends have the same fps drops but maybe 1 in each game and its like an instant, same like that on Robocraft.

Also aside games when I set full screen games in GTA V or Battlefield 1 or FC Primal or idk even ghost recon wildlands, my screen turns very very dark like a glitch contrast, and the only solution is plugging and unpligging the hdmi cable.(Yes I've tried others HDMI cables and its the same).

Trender

Mar 4, 2017
I have the same problem in black desert with my GTX 660 but the card has been problem free for 5 years now.

I'm inclined to think its shitty coding and not the card since it doesn't happen in other games.
Well I know its shitty ass optimized game but ran fine on my old r9 280X and rx 480. And I saw several vids of black desert with gtx 1080 too withouth stuttering

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
I've only had 1 video card die and I blame myself for it - I bought a used from ebay video card. Within 3 months I was getting artifacts and then the entire screen skewed.. like as if I was playing on a children's water coloring book and someone threw water on it and the colors just dripped onto the other and skewed.

Never ever had that problem with a brand new card. (I've had 2 ATi DOA's though - from hercules and power color) but that's why i stick to nvidia and specifically evga now.

Trender

Mar 4, 2017
Try installing the game on an ssd if you can
Yeah I got the game on the SSD :( and BF1 on a HDD, but just tried BF1 in the ssd and its the same
only thing that's gonna do is have the game load faster... fps isn't determined by drive speed.

OP... what OS is this?
Its latest Windows 10, yes with creator update (I disabled game dvr and windows game mode)
I've only had 1 video card die and I blame myself for it - I bought a used from ebay video card. Within 3 months I was getting artifacts and then the entire screen skewed.. like as if I was playing on a children's water coloring book and someone threw water on it and the colors just dripped onto the other and skewed.

Never ever had that problem with a brand new card. (I've had 2 ATi DOA's though - from hercules and power color) but that's why i stick to nvidia and specifically evga now.
Well yeah its weird the GPU is bugged but Im getting really weird problems I didn't had before with the rx 480 and even less playing this bad with micro freezes :(

----------------------------

Hugh just unplugged the HDD and secure erased my SSD and installes Windows and games again... and then went to BF1 and its the same, was playing and got a micro freeze like always...

Also as INFO, Windows said "CF390 (my monitor) NVIDIA HD Audio blabla is causing problems, wants to disable all the enhacement effects?" and so I clicked yes but it really didn't changed anything, and I dont think this is normal, idk whats glitchy the monitor or the GPU (but how comes a monitor causing stuttering?)

Oct 13, 2014
plus.google.com
Yeah I got the game on the SSD :( and BF1 on a HDD, but just tried BF1 in the ssd and its the same

Its latest Windows 10, yes with creator update (I disabled game dvr and windows game mode)

Well yeah its weird the GPU is bugged but Im getting really weird problems I didn't had before with the rx 480 and even less playing this bad with micro freezes :(

----------------------------

Hugh just unplugged the HDD and secure erased my SSD and installes Windows and games again... and then went to BF1 and its the same, was playing and got a micro freeze like always...

Also as INFO, Windows said "CF390 (my monitor) NVIDIA HD Audio blabla is causing problems, wants to disable all the enhacement effects?" and so I clicked yes but it really didn't changed anything, and I dont think this is normal, idk whats glitchy the monitor or the GPU (but how comes a monitor causing stuttering?)
Ok, find the game.exe file >right click >properties >compatibility >disable full screen optimization