Foxnews Poll - Most Americans don't want Obama's Health Reform

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy

We all saw how well cash for clunkers has worked... I'm sure they'll do better with health care. :disgust:

If, by "worked," you expected instant, perfect economic salvation of the nation's economy and resolution of the mess the Bushwhackos gave us, your grasp on reality is... ummm... tenuous. Cash for clunkers was successful in boosting new car sales, getting polluting gas guzzlers off the road and helping to restore employment in the auto sales, service and supply businesses, and it helped merchants and service providers to those who were newly re-employed.

Unless you have a problem with those results, I guess that means you now support a single payer health care system. :cool:

Seriously, I am pretty sure Cash For Clunkers was an epic success. It was incredibly popular and everyone who jumped on it really made out. A bunch of businesses were able to make money and a ton of people who would have normally had to dink around with crappy cars with tons of problems now get to drive great brand new environmentally friendly cars.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: SirStev0
Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy

We all saw how well cash for clunkers has worked... I'm sure they'll do better with health care. :disgust:

If, by "worked," you expected instant, perfect economic salvation of the nation's economy and resolution of the mess the Bushwhackos gave us, your grasp on reality is... ummm... tenuous. Cash for clunkers was successful in boosting new car sales, getting polluting gas guzzlers off the road and helping to restore employment in the auto sales, service and supply businesses, and it helped merchants and service providers to those who were newly re-employed.

Unless you have a problem with those results, I guess that means you now support a single payer health care system. :cool:

Seriously, I am pretty sure Cash For Clunkers was an epic success. It was incredibly popular and everyone who jumped on it really made out. A bunch of businesses were able to make money and a ton of people who would have normally had to dink around with crappy cars with tons of problems now get to drive great brand new environmentally friendly cars.
What was the intention of Cash For Clunkers though.

Pros:
Stimulate new car sales? - Worked
Stimulate American manufacturing? - questionable - How many cars came in from overseas
Reduce emissions? - Worked

Cons:
Targeted to new dealers only - left used car dealers out of the picture
Reduced amount of used vehicles for those that can not afford new.
Removed vehicles that could have gone to charity

Questionable
Created artificial demand - did it rob sales from this fall and next year.

It was a good program, but not properly thought through on what the intentions were and how to use the government to further those aims.

The same can happen on the Health Reform. Put out the objectives in black and white.
Put out the rules in black and white - do not state that someone who is unknown will determine the rules at a later time. Doing so, reduces credibility and opens the door for manipulation by political (unaccountable for) pressure and lobbyist pressures.