Fox News sued for spreading misinformation to the public

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I didn't say there was anything wrong with the way it was worded. Just there is a huge difference between something being shown as fact and something that suggests something could be true.
No study ever establishes facts though, they only provide evidence.

For example the correct headline would be 'studies suggest smoking causes lung cancer'. They have never established this as fact.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Here’s the story except by Ars if you are biased against Vox.
https://arstechnica.com/science/202...measurable-effect-on-covid-cases-study-finds/

here’s a link to the pdf of the paper
https://bfi.uchicago.edu/wp-content/uploads/BFI_WP_202044.pdf

and the Abstract:

Abstract
We study the effects of news coverage of the novel coronavirus by the two most widely-viewed cable news shows in the United States — Hannity and Tucker Carlson Tonight, both on Fox News — on viewers’ behavior and downstream health outcomes. Carlson warned viewers about the threat posed by the coronavirus from early February, while Hannity originally dismissed the risks associated with the virus before gradually adjusting his position starting late February. We first validate these differences in content with independent coding of show transcripts. In line with the differences in content, we present novel survey evidence that Hannity’s viewers changed behavior in response to the virus later than other Fox News viewers, while Carlson’s viewers changed behavior earlier. We then turn to the effects on the pandemic itself, examining health outcomes across counties. First, we document that greater viewership of Hannity relative to Tucker Carlson Tonight is strongly associated with a greater number of COVID-19 cases and deaths in the early stages of the pandemic. The relationship is stable across an expansive set of robustness tests. To better identify the effect of differential viewership of the two shows, we employ a novel instrumental variable strategy exploiting variation in when shows are broadcast in relation to local sunset times. These estimates also show that greater exposure to Hannity relative to Tucker Carlson Tonight is associated with a greater number of county-level cases and deaths. Furthermore, the results suggest that in mid-March, after Hannity’s shift in tone, the diverging trajectories on COVID-19 cases begin to revert. We provide additional evidence consistent with misinformation being an important mechanism driving the effects in the data. While our findings cannot yet speak to long-term effects, they indicate that provision of misinformation in the early stages of a pandemic can have important consequences for how a disease ultimately affects the population.

Vox’s summary is broadly inline with Ars interpretation and the papers Abstract.

Reactions: pmv

Printed Circuit Bro

Jan 21, 2020
Here’s the story except by Ars if you are biased against Vox.
https://arstechnica.com/science/202...measurable-effect-on-covid-cases-study-finds/

here’s a link to the pdf of the paper
https://bfi.uchicago.edu/wp-content/uploads/BFI_WP_202044.pdf

and the Abstract:

Abstract
We study the effects of news coverage of the novel coronavirus by the two most widely-viewed cable news shows in the United States — Hannity and Tucker Carlson Tonight, both on Fox News — on viewers’ behavior and downstream health outcomes. Carlson warned viewers about the threat posed by the coronavirus from early February, while Hannity originally dismissed the risks associated with the virus before gradually adjusting his position starting late February. We first validate these differences in content with independent coding of show transcripts. In line with the differences in content, we present novel survey evidence that Hannity’s viewers changed behavior in response to the virus later than other Fox News viewers, while Carlson’s viewers changed behavior earlier. We then turn to the effects on the pandemic itself, examining health outcomes across counties. First, we document that greater viewership of Hannity relative to Tucker Carlson Tonight is strongly associated with a greater number of COVID-19 cases and deaths in the early stages of the pandemic. The relationship is stable across an expansive set of robustness tests. To better identify the effect of differential viewership of the two shows, we employ a novel instrumental variable strategy exploiting variation in when shows are broadcast in relation to local sunset times. These estimates also show that greater exposure to Hannity relative to Tucker Carlson Tonight is associated with a greater number of county-level cases and deaths. Furthermore, the results suggest that in mid-March, after Hannity’s shift in tone, the diverging trajectories on COVID-19 cases begin to revert. We provide additional evidence consistent with misinformation being an important mechanism driving the effects in the data. While our findings cannot yet speak to long-term effects, they indicate that provision of misinformation in the early stages of a pandemic can have important consequences for how a disease ultimately affects the population.

Vox’s summary is broadly inline with Ars interpretation and the papers Abstract.

Better to post that than to sully the conversation with any link that starts with vox.com :)

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
hmmm look at this

Gonna be a moment for me when i say well, there we go. By 3:41 the point was across the drugs clearly weren't tested long enough it seems to see their effectiveness. A couple people got lucky and i guess people jumped to conclusions.? I always hear oh we don't know enough about this virus. I was practicing social distancing before it was found out to be air born, yeah i looked crazy as cat shit backing off 6 feet from people usually not in a mask and sometimes even then if a few. Then it hit and well yeah. Trust your instincts on this one, not the news.

Yup giving false hope with this shit going around, yeah that won't pan out to well come up reelection.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I didn't say there was anything wrong with the way it was worded. Just there is a huge difference between something being shown as fact and something that suggests something could possibly be true.
whenever I see "study suggests" I immediately think of that John Oliver episode.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
A study has shown that definitely maybe something something something...

LOL

I don't need a study to show dumb people who believe Trump and Fox News are fucking idiots.

If you had common sense you'd realize companies make millions if not billions of dollars per year and yet 2 weeks after a coronavirus shutdown they need a corporate bailout from your tax dollars?!?!?

LOL! Caveat Emptor!

Reactions: dank69

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Foxes response to the Bleaching Incident :

Hannity: Top Democrats and their media allies refuse to give President Trump credit for anything

I think he is getting a lot of credit for the bleach break through..

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Foxes response to the Bleaching Incident :

Hannity: Top Democrats and their media allies refuse to give President Trump credit for anything

I think he is getting a lot of credit for the bleach break through..
I give Trump total credit for suggesting we inject Lysol to fight COVID-19

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
"It's mostly water. And we are mostly water. Therefore, we are bleach."
The bleach has to be prepared in a homeopathic way. Just add the least detectable amount of bleach to the water. People are just doing it wrong. /s

Mar 11, 2004
I give Trump total credit for suggesting we inject Lysol to fight COVID-19

Hey, give him some credit, he deliberately said not injecting. Which, sure, he seems to think that injection only happens via needle (which I'm guessing he's probably deathly afraid of and would start screaming bloody murder if someone suggested a needle), while saying "huh, what if we found a way to shove UV lights UNDER OUR SKIN, but totally not injecting" and same with disinfectants, we just put them in our lungs, but again NOT inject them, but we SOMEHOW INSERT THEM INSIDE US through some other means than injecting them.

But he was just being sarcastic. Which is what people totally want from the sitting President giving a press conference about a major public health crisis, is glib sarcasm about injecting disinfectants and UV light. Oh wait, he was just being sarcastic about being sarcastic.

Hell the only reason he hasn't floated that we need to reopen beauty salons so people can get cleaned by using tanning booths is because he probably doesn't know they put out UV.

Mar 11, 2004
How long before we start hearing about rape cases because guys drank a bunch of alcohol and were merely trying to disinfect women? Turmp defense. "Your honor, I diluted the alcohol, and needed to get it inside her without injection - needles are super dangerous they cause autism, AIDS, and overdoses! Also, semen is basically bleach, right, it makes things white!"