Fourteen Defining Characteristics Of Fascism

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Originally posted by: LegendKiller

Again, you utterly miss the point (big surprise). Any of these questions can apply to any country around the world, or all of them in fact. Why? Because it is based upon YOUR opinion of reality, skewed through the questions that may direct you to believe a certain way.

It's obvious your own skewing has occurred, in that you think that governments should be minimalist, thus you attack the two things that are antithesis to your beliefs, 9 and 13, again, big surprise. With Bush you go with popular conspiracy theories (media made Bush...etc), big surprise.

I won't answer the questionnaire because it is a bad one to begin with. You misunderstand the fundamental reasoning behind this type of questionnaire. People above even agree it is skewed.

Please troll somewhere else. Its clear there are more adept people here at joining in the conversation like adults than a child throwing temper tantrums because he doesn't agree. You are a troll pure and simple. Now go away, grown ups are having a discussion.

There is no conversation, just you waving your dick around and calling everyone who disagrees with your "fastest way to a conclusion" conclusion a troll.

You're a parody of yourself and that is all you ever will be because you don't have the intelligence to actually discuss anything, you take one wild point and run it into the ground and that's all you EVER do.

It's quite pathetic.

Well, I think you've hit a new height! I'll call you Mr. troll from now on! :laugh:

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: cubeless
snip

Your thoughts?

u r an idiot...

bo does 1 and 3 at a minimum, and get over the stolen election thing...

and give bo a little while to warm up...

So says the guy that types "u r" :laugh:

It's more intelligent than anything you've EVER written.

Go forth tinfoil hat man and pretend that you know your head from your arse.

Thanks for being a troll. Move along now :)

So, anybody who disagrees with you is a troll? Nice! Must be great living in your world.

I have asked you multiple times to contribute to this thread and you have refused. You continue to troll as usual. Time for the next step. ;)

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: cubeless
snip

Your thoughts?

u r an idiot...

bo does 1 and 3 at a minimum, and get over the stolen election thing...

and give bo a little while to warm up...

So says the guy that types "u r" :laugh:

It's more intelligent than anything you've EVER written.

Go forth tinfoil hat man and pretend that you know your head from your arse.

Thanks for being a troll. Move along now :)

So, anybody who disagrees with you is a troll? Nice! Must be great living in your world.

I have asked you multiple times to contribute to this thread and you have refused. You continue to troll as usual. Time for the next step. ;)

I have added significant conversation to this thread, as in a discussion of validity of questionnaires. The validity of this questionnaire is in question, since the questions are obviously skewed, considering the source and phrasing. I have a BS in Psychology and part of my education was in the formulation, creation, and administration of statistically valid questionnaires. Just because I question the validity of this questionnaire doesn't make me a "troll", it makes me doubtful and somebody who brings up good questions. Many people agree with me that questionnaires like this are skewed.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

I have added significant conversation to this thread, as in a discussion of validity of questionnaires. The validity of this questionnaire is in question, since the questions are obviously skewed, considering the source and phrasing. I have a BS in Psychology and part of my education was in the formulation, creation, and administration of statistically valid questionnaires. Just because I question the validity of this questionnaire doesn't make me a "troll", it makes me doubtful and somebody who brings up good questions. Many people agree with me that questionnaires like this are skewed.

The only thing you have added is troll troll troll. Like a kid looking for attention. Grow up already LK. As for the "anyone who disagrees is a troll comment", maybe you should read the thread and see where people have disagreed and they were not called a troll. But you won't nor can you admit this is true.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
there was also a interesting article on how to take over the US. it was pretty eye opening ..

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
The only reason why I put that there is because of the tone of Fox News Corp. during Bush's administration. Lots of buzz words and "terror terror terror".

A state run propaganda machine would be immensely more biased than any popular US news network. The ones voicing opinions that differ from the leader / make criticisms of his government would be removed / changed.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
The only reason why I put that there is because of the tone of Fox News Corp. during Bush's administration. Lots of buzz words and "terror terror terror".

A state run propaganda machine would be immensely more biased than any popular US news network. The ones voicing opinions that differ from the leader / make criticisms of his government would be removed / changed.

Oh I agree it wasn't like Nazi Germany, but it leaned in that direction. The "opinion based news" of Fox created a bunch of hysteria regarding terrorists in the farmers back yard which allowed public opinion to sway toward governments growth (Homeland Security, Patriot Act etc).

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh

Oh I agree it wasn't like Nazi Germany, but it leaned in that direction. The "opinion based news" of Fox created a bunch of hysteria regarding terrorists in the farmers back yard which allowed public opinion to sway toward governments growth (Homeland Security, Patriot Act etc).

Please, it didn't even get close to that. You make it seem like biased news sources is a new thing. News flash! They've been around since the revolutionary war! They reached a fever pitch during the civil war, the things said about Lincoln were pretty disgusting. Opinion based news is nothing new.

I agree with Schadenfroh, to reach the levels seen you'd have seen much more control over the media. Pre-WW2 Nazi germany was completely closed to dissenting opinions, we didn't get close to "leaning" that direction. If you had one you were with the Jews taking showers.

Again, your attempt to polarize is skewed by your desire to see at least some of those things to be true to show you are "right".

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

Please, it didn't even get close to that. You make it seem like biased news sources is a new thing. News flash! They've been around since the revolutionary war! They reached a fever pitch during the civil war, the things said about Lincoln were pretty disgusting. Opinion based news is nothing new.

I agree with Schadenfroh, to reach the levels seen you'd have seen much more control over the media. Pre-WW2 Nazi germany was completely closed to dissenting opinions, we didn't get close to "leaning" that direction. If you had one you were with the Jews taking showers.

Again, your attempt to polarize is skewed by your desire to see at least some of those things to be true to show you are "right".

First, thank you for joining the conversation :)

I didn't think biased news sources were new, only that they were very persuasive by using fear/emotions to get a targeted response during a critical time in U.S. history. Their trumpeting of terrorists around every corner, the color coded threat meter etc did create a "fear factor" and that government was the only way to be protected. The "patriotism" they portrayed was "agree with us or you are unpatriotic!". So people went along with it, I do not think things like the Patriot Act would ever have been passed would it not have been for the "massaging" of the general public.

"Leaning in that direction" to me meant the rhetoric, not actions.

Being right is not my contention. I would much rather have discussion and learn then to bicker back and forth over trivial things. Can we do that? I hope so.

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008

If you have nothing to add to this adult discussion go outside and play with the other kiddies.

There is no discussion going on in this thread. You are simply calling everyone who disagrees with your OP a troll. Everyone knows this.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: theflyingpig

If you have nothing to add to this adult discussion go outside and play with the other kiddies.

There is no discussion going on in this thread. You are simply calling everyone who disagrees with your OP a troll. Everyone knows this.

This is not true. Go read those who disagreed yet I reasoned with and DID NOT call a troll. Try again.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
lol, broad generalizations. My psych professors used to hand out these "description" questionnaires at the first class. Funny, but there were only 10 "unique" ones in every class and they were actually only unique in question order.

I bet if we found a questionnaire about insanity PSC and his fellow RPBs would pass with flying colors.

Another troll.....
<--- very accurate!!

Well, this is a troll thread.

I actually added some perspective, since this is a common psychology tactic.

Phrasing questions in questionnaires to get the desired response is a well known skewing effect in statistical studies. It's all about perception.

Not a troll thread at all or it would be locked. <----- not entirely accurate...................

It won't so get over it.

Secondly your perspective has nothing to do with the topic question "Do you see any of this in the U.S.?" You instead ignored that and went along trolling like you normally do. Now be an adult (if you can) and discuss the topic or move along.

Points of interests to me are points 9 and 13 for two reasons. One, Obama is the current president and two, he is allowing these exact things to take place. Now do you have an argument against that?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: OCguy
Its like the commercials for prescription drugs on the network nightly news broadcasts.

Do you ever get tired?

Do you ever get hungry?

Are you ever attracted to the opposite sex?

If so, you may be a facist! Ask your doctor about Fuxium.

The above is a fair assesement of this thread.......
So get over it PC Surgeon !!!

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
Its like the commercials for prescription drugs on the network nightly news broadcasts.

Do you ever get tired?

Do you ever get hungry?

One troll after another. Who let the kids out without supervision?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

Do you ever get tired?

Do you ever get hungry?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

Do you ever get tired?

Do you ever get hungry?

That is what I always think whenever you post...heheheee

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Here are the "fourteen points" of fascism:

<snip>

Your thoughts?

Sometimes I get a laugh out of flipping back and forth between Fox News & MSNBC. Recently Keith Olbermann had Howard Dean on and they were having a calm and polite discussion on how wrong it is to call any sitting President a fascist. You can disagree with the policies but should always have the decency to respect the office.

Flip over to Fox News and they are showing clips of Keith Olbermann on multiple occasions while Bush was in office yelling to the camera proclaiming him a fascist.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
See my moderator note in the OP before posting further.

Hayabusa Rider- Senior AnandTech Moderator.

CLite

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005
It's clear as LK has already pointed out that the list was designed with an agenda. This invalidates any discussion of the list. It's like if someone wanted to bash a particular group (say a political party) so they compile a list of indcators for "insanity", but phrase the questions to be ambigious but with some correlations to the targeted group.

I could compile a list of "retard" indicators and post how tin foil hat theorists match it. It would be exactly the same thing as the OP has done but targeted at another "group".