Info Found an old hardware price sheet from ?? (2001 ??) You won't believe it. The CPU prices especially !

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
So, first, looking here: https://www.inflationtool.com/us-dollar/2001-to-present-value

If something cost $100 then, it would be $147 today Now for the prices (I don't want to scan the image, in case thats not legal). These are from a local PC parts place that in its era was very inexpensive.

Video
ATI Radeon 7500 64 meg w/tv $147 or now $216
ASUS 8200 T5 Deluxe 64 meg $415 or $610 today

CDROM
ASUS 52x IDE $39 today $57.33

Motherboard

Abit KR7A raid socket A $186 or today... $372
ASUS P4T-E socket 478 $177 or today .... $354

CPU's
AMD K7 950 Tbird $70 or today, $103
AMD XP1900 $286 or today.... $420

Intel P4-2000 $527... or today $775 !!!!!

Memory
512 meg PC133 $69 or today...$101.

And you guys think the new AMD CPUs are expensive ?????

Hard drives
Maxtor 40 gig $91 or today ... $134

Monitor

19 inch CRT $334 today... $491
15 in LCD flat panel $450 ... today $662 !!

I estimated the year looking at the release date of the xp1900 Nov 2001.

Edit: found it, ad date 12/07/2001

If you want some other item let me know, but I don't have time to convert 200-300 prices.

Last edited:

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
People complain about a $300 6C/12T CPU in 2021 and with the missing 5700X the jump to 8C is very very large and dont reply with a "but Intel" because i dont care. This is supporting PC gaming as AMD said to you?

You need to stop trying to justify wharever AMD do at every step, they do good things and bad things at the same time.

You can't just disqualify the obvious answer because you "don't care". Why should only AMD price products a certain way that you like? Because you want them? Then pony up or shut up. Constantly bitching about pricing or cutting CU's isn't going to change anything. I wish I had $1 every time you brought it up. It would be a nice sum of free money.

And even worse is when you said that it's a fact that the pricing is bad. That's just like, your opinion, man. Those CPU's will fly off the shelves at those prices. If they price lower, the etailers will mark them up instead and make that money. I'd rather it go to AMD.

As for cheaper models? They seem to be on the way. 5600 for $220. You just have to wait a little longer. It has always cost money to be an early adopter.

Last edited:

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
No need to have a magazine, you can use the waybackmachine to browse newegg in 2001, altrought it would be limited due to date.

woow emu10k1 on first page i still have that card somewhere, ECS K7SEM i had one of those...

The wayback machine has nothing on what Computer Shopper magazine was back in the late 80's and early 90's (before Internet advertising really took off and finally killed it).

At its height, 400+ pages per month of articles and computer product advertisements for just about every computer company and product of mention on the planet. If it wasn't advertised for sale there by someone, it likely didn't exist at the time.

I still remember being like a kid in a candy store back then with each new issue.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
You can't just disqualify the obvious answer because you "don't care". Why should only AMD price products a certain way that you like? Because you want them? Then pony up or shut up. Constantly bitching about pricing or cutting CU's isn't going to change anything. I wish I had $1 every time you brought it up. It would be a nice sum of free money.

And even worse is when you said that it's a fact that the pricing is bad. That's just like, your opinion, man. Those CPU's will fly off the shelves at those prices. If they price lower, the etailers will mark them up instead and make that money. I'd rather it go to AMD.

As for cheaper models? They seem to be on the way. 5600 for $220. You just have to wait a little longer. It has always cost money to be an early adopter.

We are talking about what has been announced now and you are asking me to do a wild guess of what is to come, when is announced or at least the rumour is more certain we may talk.

And why i dont care about Intel? because while we argue "But Intel did it!", "But AMD did it!" they both increase prices. Simple as that, just because Intel did it it does not means its good, so i dont care. With that in mind, i only consider the 5600X price to be bad, what hapened with the other cpu is fine, even when i consider they are also saving the cooler money what is significant.

As for the rest i comment good things as well, the fact the people like to focus on something i dont like about a AMD product is not my fault. Some people seem to take things too personal, dont pin that on me.

Last edited:

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
We are talking about what has been announced now and you are asking me to do a wild guess of what is to come, when is announced or at least the rumour is more certain we may talk.

And why i dont care about Intel? because while we argue "But Intel did it!", "But AMD did it!" they both increase prices. Simple as that, just because Intel did it it does not means its good, so i dont care. With that in mind, i only consider the 5600X price to be bad, what hapened with the other skus is fine, even when i consider they are also saving the cooler money what is significant.

As for the rest i comment good things as well, the fact the people like to focus on something i dont like about a AMD product is not my fault.

Yea I don't like them ditching the boxed HSF either. I think they did that partly to make sure reviewers had to use an aftermarket solution to do reviews. They should probably include one up to eight-core models. After that you really need something better anyway.

Intel did it. AMD did it. NVIDIA really did it. It sucks, I know. But I don't feel so bad about throwing AMD an extra $50 for bringing progress and sanity (price wise) back to the CPU market. Hopefully they can do the same thing and bring NVIDIA down a notch. Big Navi being competitive with the 3080 would be a great start.

Last edited:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Opteron 165/ barton mobile chip in a desktop where great deals.
opteron 165 is the most expensive cpu i've ever bought building a system. and that was $278. i don't think any of the athlon XPs i bought was more (tbred athlon was a fry's chip/board special and those were all cheap), and none of the CPUs i've bought since was more.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
opteron 165 is the most expensive cpu i've ever bought building a system. and that was $278. i don't think any of the athlon XPs i bought was more (tbred athlon was a fry's chip/board special and those were all cheap), and none of the CPUs i've bought since was more.

i dont remember how much i paid but i feel like it was at least 100$ less then that. My chip undervolted and overclocked to 2.5ghz with a dfi lanparty board. Oh those where the days, black light cathode in the case to make the board light up neon. So cool. to bad they don't do that anymore :( RIP DFI.

Reactions: CP5670

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
lol i remember playing total annihilation over network, and tripping out when i saw a PC having more then 256MB of ram..
I was so jealous back then.

Were talking about times when having 1GB was considered EPIC... lol

What happened to the UV lights? They seem to be much less popular than RGB these days.

They bleached the inside of your PC.
After time you would notice things like your PATA / SATA cables and motherboard fade and get whiter.
Also most of them ran from cold cathodes which got phased out by LED's.

Last edited:

ksosx86

Sep 27, 2012
So, back in 2013 I paid around $555 for an IvyBridge-E chip (4930K?) that was six cores I think. The crazy thing is how you can get double if not triple the performance at half the cost (if not less) now.

Reactions: Thunder 57

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Latest and greatest consumer cpus pushing the highest performance are more expensive? Crazy.

I need to post some old computer shopper page images (mentioned earlier) along with even older computer magazine articles about cpu price trends back in the era from breaking the great 1 megahertz to 33 or 66 or 100... The fun top of the line cpu price trend seems to be about the same to me.

Digging out this old paper about puters might just cause some dust inhalation. I have been forced to throw out some of it by significant others, but I think I still have a stash.

ksosx86

Sep 27, 2012
I was trying to poke fun at the people complaining about the $50 price increase Zen 3 brings at launch. Surely there will be cheaper SKU's to come.
Was bound to happen at some point with Intel continuously bringing nothing to "significantly" counter (don't pounce fanboys) - AMD will begin to gradually be allowed to dictate prices. Although Zen and Zen+/Zen2 will enjoy some nice discounts from this including let's not forget their iterations of threadripper :D

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
Years ago, or was it decades? I bought a 10 megabyte hard drive for my Apple ][e. It was a great deal at $1500.

I think I got ya beat. In 1983, I bought a 5 MB external HD at Radio Shack for my TRS-80 Model 1. (I loved that computer!) It was marked down 50% to only $1,200. I divided it into 4 partitions of 1.25 MB each. One for docs, games, etc.

Or the transistor radio. In the 50's they were $50

In the late 50's there was a full page add in the Houston Post newspaper for a 6 transistor radio for $100. I wanted one SO bad!

And this is my take... back then Intel was JUST a little ahead, but AMD was way cheaper. Then Athlon 64 came out, and it was all over for me, AMD. Then Conroe came out, and again it was all over, Intel... Then Ryzen came out and it was back to AMD... Am I bipolar ? No, I just go for whats best at the time. I wish some people would recognize that.

My first Intel CPU was the the 286, I stayed with them until the Cyrix gave them some competition. Then AMD caught my attention. So, what I would buy depended on who had the best deal when considering both MB and CPU combo. Today I am still very happy with my i7-4790k and Asus A97-A/3.1 MB.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
This was discussed a few years back on here. Anyways, you're not also taking into account the Total Market Size for CPUs, in terms of Unit Sales Per Quarter / Year.

As the Market grows in terms of unit sales, the cost per CPU for the R&D expended on it, decreases as a percentage. Thus, their retail cost can also decrease, and still maintain similar gross margins.

It's the same reason that Nvidia card's prices are going up, the "total attach rate" (Total Unit Sales) of discrete GPUs is going down. (And the R&D still needs to be paid for.)

You're kind of right, though, adjusted for inflation, today's prices on CPUs are actually pretty fair. (thank God for competition.)
Yep, especially because we're talking about bleeding edge tech used, or always very close to it. Yes we can joke now about Intel's 14++++++++, but actually, that process is nothing short of a wonder, what it can do, despite its obvious multi-year disadvantage. Bleeding edge will never be dirt cheap, no matter the market size. Otherwise cars would cost 500 bucks a piece.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017

And why i dont care about Intel? because while we argue "But Intel did it!", "But AMD did it!" they both increase prices. Simple as that, just because Intel did it it does not means its good, so i dont care. With that in mind, i only consider the 5600X price to be bad, what hapened with the other cpu is fine, even when i consider they are also saving the cooler money what is significant.

As for the rest i comment good things as well, the fact the people like to focus on something i dont like about a AMD product is not my fault. Some people seem to take things too personal, dont pin that on me.
What wild guess? Can you freaking elaborate, what is to even guess there, nit to mention wild guessing?
The original leaks all pointed to a high-end only launch at first, so compared to that it's pretty fair, we got 1 from each tier but the entry level 4 cores, but that was also always like this.
Don't worry, a bunch of SKUs will follow, I don't know why are you pretending that you don't know.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I seem to recall when I bought my Ryzen 7 1800X it launched at $499.99 USD...

And that was a GREAT deal when it first came out.
So did I, and yes that was the price. I sold it. Ten the 2700x's, and now in those boxes have 3 3900x's.

Reactions: Drazick

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000

So will these new 5600's be a socket 4 drop-in?, possibly just a BIOS flash before installing one?. Already got a Ryzen 5 1600 but now that the new generation is coming around prices will be driven down across the board.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
So will these new 5600's be a socket 4 drop-in?, possibly just a BIOS flash before installing one?. Already got a Ryzen 5 1600 but now that the new generation is coming around prices will be driven down across the board.
Depends on the motherboard. Series 570 and maybe all 500 series will need an update, available before or during launch. Series 400 will get the bios update late this year or 2021. Series 300 no support.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Drazick

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Depends on the motherboard. Series 570 and maybe all 500 series will need an update, available before or during launch. Series 400 will get the bios update late this year or 2021. Series 300 no support.
So my Asrock B450 Pro would just need the BIOS update, correct?.