Fossil makes automatic watches now

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
see

I saw them at macys, what's funny is the little promo stand in the case passes it off as if it were some new technology.

Now i am trying to decide if i want a seiko automatic or one of these guys. The fossil one is quite a bit cheaper, but i don't know who makes the movement and how durable it is. I know the seiko ones are durable and supposedly go 10 years w/o service.

Speaking of all this, anyone have a good watch forum to point to?

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
As nice as automatic watches are, they're expensive. I guess I'll stick with my Citizen Eco-drive watches.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: neutralizer
As nice as automatic watches are, they're expensive. I guess I'll stick with my Citizen Eco-drive watches.

This one is only $95 retail. I don't think automatic watches are inherently super expensive, it's more a marketing thing.

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
Originally posted by: OS

This one is only $95 retail. I don't think automatic watches are inherently super expensive, it's more a marketing thing.

Oh snap, that's cheap. I didn't click the link and assumed it was expensive. Although, I still like the look of my Citizen watch.

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
ill stick with my $13 dollar spider-man watch, thank you.

but that fossil looks kinda good though.

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
Mmm... I should suggest this to my dad. I don't think he's comfortable wearing his ultra-expensive gold seiko automatic watch.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: ballmode
Kinetic?

I bet they use the same movement from a japan company

i'm pretty sure it's a mechanical automatic, i had the sales girl take it out for me to play with, the second hand has the nice sweeping movement when it winds up.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Mmm... I should suggest this to my dad. I don't think he's comfortable wearing his ultra-expensive gold seiko automatic watch.

yeah the main thing is i have this opinion that fossil is kind of a bastard watch brand, they're more of a fashion brand than one that has a history of making watches, like even citizen or seiko to start. But the price is very good and it has an 11 year warranty, so i might spring for it.

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001

yeah the main thing is i have this opinion that fossil is kind of a bastard watch brand, they're more of a fashion brand than one that has a history of making watches, like even citizen or seiko to start. But the price is very good and it has an 11 year warranty, so i might spring for it.

Well, it's still nice. Very good for a gift.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I got one of those Seiko kenetics like 10 years ago when they were super new and radical. Thing cost a fortune.

I'm betting it doesn't tick anymore, having been sitting in a box for 9 years somewhere. :D

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
Originally posted by: secretanchitman
ill stick with my $13 dollar spider-man watch, thank you.

but that fossil looks kinda good though.

do u get chicks with that watch?

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
lol, alright so i dug around, apparently the movement is a japanese Miyota, which is a subsidiary of Citizen. Like alluded to earlier, only a handful of companies make the actual movments.

here

and here

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
meh, it no longer kewl to wear a watch anyways

I will wear a watch to my grave. I need the feeling of weight on my wrist.

I like the watch except for one thing - why cut the ticks off around the bottom? I'd rather have a full watch face than see the movement.

If the made a watch just like mine (basic swiss army, leather band, date) with the automatic for about 100, I might spring for it, but not with only half a watch face.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
see

I saw them at macys, what's funny is the little promo stand in the case passes it off as if it were some new technology.

Now i am trying to decide if i want a seiko automatic or one of these guys. The fossil one is quite a bit cheaper, but i don't know who makes the movement and how durable it is. I know the seiko ones are durable and supposedly go 10 years w/o service.

Speaking of all this, anyone have a good watch forum to point to?

Well if it uses quartz to keep the time in the Fossil and it's way cheaper then I'd say go for it, I have a Seiko automatic that uses metals (Kinetic is quartz based) to keep the time instead of quartz and it's a great watch if you wear it every day but if you don't wear it for even one day then you'll have to reset the time day and date each time where as if it were quartz based it would go a good week (from my understanding) of not being worn and not losing any time.

Of course I only paid $50 for my watch so I can't really complain.

Slappy00

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2002
the best watches ever are the Timex Iron Man .. omg i have dropped, stepped-on, ran over with a van, had a dog chew on it, and the thing kept perfect time stil (jsut harder to read it with all the scuffs), the only thing i have ever changd was the band. For a more formal watch i have a Bulova thats pretty nice. The question is if this watch is going to be an "everyday" watch or not, and what you are planning to do with it (dont try to take it to do yardwork, fixing a car or playing sports... thats why ironman rules, goes anywhere and stilll doesnt look cheap, sorta like a Jeep Wrangler).

loic2003

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Slappy00
the best watches ever are the Timex Iron Man .. omg i have dropped, stepped-on, ran over with a van, had a dog chew on it, and the thing kept perfect time stil (jsut harder to read it with all the scuffs)
your hand/wrist must be a real mess...

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
The next watch I buy will either be a Citizen Nighthawk or a Rolex, depending on where I am financially at that time in my life. I'm happy at the moment with my automatic Bulova.

arcas

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2001
Citizen eco-drive FTW. My Calibre 8700 has a 1.5 year power reserve (my friend's automatic Omega has about 40 hours). Also, Citizen's perpetual calendar feature rocks.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: LordMorpheus
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
meh, it no longer kewl to wear a watch anyways

I will wear a watch to my grave. I need the feeling of weight on my wrist.

I like the watch except for one thing - why cut the ticks off around the bottom? I'd rather have a full watch face than see the movement.

If the made a watch just like mine (basic swiss army, leather band, date) with the automatic for about 100, I might spring for it, but not with only half a watch face.

they have several other styles, you just have to browse around the site.