Forza Horizon 3 Benchmark Thread

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Company distributes Windows updates to billions of computers even new entire OS installations are delivered online. Yet the store can't handle delivering games. I really think something about that store's design is only good for sub GB small little app downloads.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Company distributes Windows updates to billions of computers even new entire OS installations are delivered online. Yet the store can't handle delivering games. I really think something about that store's design is only good for sub GB small little app downloads.
Let's not forget that the Xbox console has been doing this since 2006 as well. The Windows Store was meant for mobile, like metro which all failed for desktop.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
Burnout Paradise was a more fun game for sure. But this game is pretty good for a modern take on open world racing. Certainly a million times better than The Crew or something.

Graphically Dirt Rally tears this apart.

I played neither (FH3 nor DIrt Rallye) so far, but after reading this, i had to look at some utube videos of Dirt (at maxed PC settings) and honestly i have hard time seeing how exactly does Dir tear Forza apart. I did not think it looked anything special and while Forza is IMO not looking as say DriveClub either, i thought it was the best looking car game so far on PC alongside latest NFS games.

On topic of Crew, i concur it was rather weak, the most annoying part to me being the weird physics / collision system - and i am no racing afficionado, who needs his super-realistic physical driving model, but it could at least pretend to be somewhat semi-realistic. On other hand, the map was the best i ever seen so far, the sheer size of it was amazing.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Let's not forget that the Xbox console has been doing this since 2006 as well. The Windows Store was meant for mobile, like metro which all failed for desktop.

Yeah it's really made for mobile. It's feels it 100%

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
I played neither (FH3 nor DIrt Rallye) so far, but after reading this, i had to look at some utube videos of Dirt (at maxed PC settings) and honestly i have hard time seeing how exactly does Dir tear Forza apart. I did not think it looked anything special and while Forza is IMO not looking as say DriveClub either, i thought it was the best looking car game so far on PC alongside latest NFS games.

On topic of Crew, i concur it was rather weak, the most annoying part to me being the weird physics / collision system - and i am no racing afficionado, who needs his super-realistic physical driving model, but it could at least pretend to be somewhat semi-realistic. On other hand, the map was the best i ever seen so far, the sheer size of it was amazing.

I really think DiRT Rally looks great in person. The textures are consistently good. It's a much smaller game though. It's not open world. I would easily give FH3 the graphics title for open world driving games.

SirDinadan

Jul 11, 2016
boostclock.com

As the release of Forza Horizon 4 is just around the corner I decided to have some fun with its predecessor.

I didn't want to go as high as the GTX 1080 with the Ryzen 5 2400G, but as it turned out RTSS FCAT frame time tool has a wired bug with AMD cards and FH3, so I dropped in the GTX 1080 as well.

To my surprise, the GTX 980 Ti and the GTX 1060 / 1080 has the very same performance (1080p, high, FXAA). Is the 2400G that weak or FH3 needs more cores / high-end CPU.

I didn't have the time to test other CPU, next time!

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012

As the release of Forza Horizon 4 is just around the corner I decided to have some fun with its predecessor.

I didn't want to go as high as the GTX 1080 with the Ryzen 5 2400G, but as it turned out RTSS FCAT frame time tool has a wired bug with AMD cards and FH3, so I dropped in the GTX 1080 as well.

To my surprise, the GTX 980 Ti and the GTX 1060 / 1080 has the very same performance (1080p, high, FXAA). Is the 2400G that weak or FH3 needs more cores / high-end CPU.

I didn't have the time to test other CPU, next time!

1080p60? Needs to go higher. My 1070 was a great match for 4k60 and my CPU was really struggling. I haven't tested on my high refresh rate monitor, but this game really loves cores and SMT. And fast RAM

Last edited:

SirDinadan

Jul 11, 2016
boostclock.com
1080p60? Needs to go higher. My 1070 was a great match for 4k60 and my CPU was really struggling. I haven't tested on my high refresh rate monitor, but this game really loves cores and SMT. And fast RAM
Yeah, my bad. Just checked DigitalFoundry's take on the game with mid-range dGPUs (GTX 970/1060, R9 390 and RX 480) and the game indeed needs > 4c/8t). At least the game is great for testing CPUs, too bad it is only on MS Store.