Forum Update & Fixes

jpishgar

VP, Global Community
Nov 24, 2014
www.futureplc.com
Hey there all!

We're running some updates to the forum software this evening in an effort to fix a handful of the outstanding issues that have been reported. If you spot any glitches or problems during this maintenance window, please bear with for the moment. There may be some outstanding issues with the themes, positioning of certain navigational items, or fonts in some places not displaying right during these updates. We expect the disruption in forum service to be minimal and forums should be available again soon.

In the interim, if you bump into any glaring problems, please let us know in the comments below.

Thank you for your patience, and again, apologies for the temporary inconvenience!

-JP

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Sidebars don't retract this evening.

Sticky threads hidden by default, can't expand to see.

Edit: FireFox

Last edited:

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Buzz60 news that used to show up on the right side bar now no longer shows up. Has AnandTech removed the Buzz60 news small video box that used to showup?

Blue line at the very top of the forum website.

Lots of CSS or JS web element placement issues, looks as if it is almost about to overlap with the ads on the page. See pictures bellow.

1568259344156.png
Trending threads box is almost touching the ad.

1568259376929.png
The nav buttons "Previous, Next, Jump to new, and Watch", are touching the ad.
1568259468221.png
Huge empty space on the right sidebar shows where the Buzz60 news video box and ads used to be.

EDIT: Ad shows when outside of editing or posting, but did not see Buzz60 news yet. (see below). Ad touches another ad.
1568260563170.png

Browser: Firefox
Special Dev about:config set manually: gfx.web-render.enabled(set to true)
Rendering GPU: Nvidia Quadro P1000 (Manually set via Nvidia Control Panel, default was Integrated Graphics (Intel UHD 630)).
Laptop Screen Resolution: 4k

Last edited:

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Update: Spoke too soon. If there is "share this page" box at the bottom of the right sidebar, and a ghost ad (another problem) also on the right sidebar, the ghost ad will over lap the top ad at certain scroll positions, but will not overlap if the scroll bar is all the way top. This can be seen by the ghost ad border. Also some ads touch the forum board at certain forum pages. Both issues can be seen in the image bellow.
1568260945923.png

Last edited:

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Yea I wish we could also collapse sidebars by default... also can't see whether or not the forum scales all the way across when they are hidden.

(Firefox 69.0 x64)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yea I wish we could also collapse sidebars by default... also can't see whether or not the forum scales all the way across when they are hidden.

(Firefox 69.0 x64)

well, it did work before yesterday, so hopefully. I also just wish it could be a permanent setting. Used to be able to fix that with reStyle or other script plugins, but those no longer work as far as I know?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Where is the quick access to advanced search?

Used to be if I wanted to find all the posts by a specific user in a topic, I'd click on the big "Search" bar at the top of the screen. It had advanced options for that and was really quick and easy to use. That functionality is now missing after the update.

Update: Fixed!

Last edited:

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
What happened to AT Shot of the Day in Digicams & Videos? It just disappeared. That was one of the best threads in that Forum.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Function to hide forum sections not working either... similar and/or related issue.

I'm not a web programmer but that seems like a style code bug.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
What happened to AT Shot of the Day in Digicams & Videos? It just disappeared. That was one of the best threads in that Forum.
Sticky threads are currently hidden and the down arrow to show them doesn't work. The thread is still there; you just can't get there from here. :p

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Hiding sticky threads? Makes no sense to me.
Anyway, I posted a note in D&V Forum which has a link to At Shot of the Day. Down arrow? Ha!

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Too many stickies on Mobile forum. Can barely see new posts on first page as it is all stickies. And really, none are useful, IMO.

jpishgar

VP, Global Community
Nov 24, 2014
www.futureplc.com
Hey there all! We're still rolling out a few more fixes today - the collapse sidebar should be good to go now - next up is still the outstanding issue with the stickies. Hang tight!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Sticky threads are currently hidden and the down arrow to show them doesn't work. The thread is still there; you just can't get there from there. :p

FTFY

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
We can put away the torches now... or at least extinguish them.

Well, they removed the laugh response, so I'm not going to be that hasty...

For example: Can Ironwing still edit the tags that I dump in his threads? I hope not!

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
No more post reaction options? Other than LIKE? We went from maybe 20, to 5 at last upgrade, and now ... 1.
Is that the new reality we must embrace?

Larger avatar images would be superb. They are literally thumbnails.

As Amol noted above: the blue line across the top everywhere seems to be el permanente.

Reactions: Ken g6

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
No more post reaction options? Other than LIKE? We went from maybe 20, to 5 at last upgrade, and now ... 1.

lame. either have both up and downvotes or no votes at all.

Too many stickies on Mobile forum. Can barely see new posts on first page as it is all stickies. And really, none are useful, IMO.
i don't think those are stickies, it's just that a billion of them were dumped at once, pushing threads down the page.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

After I got my wish that they made the reaction system exactly like Facebook I started thinking "how could we make this even better?" And then it hit me, so I started wishing they could make the reaction system exactly like Facebook was when it first launched.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Hey there all! We're still rolling out a few more fixes today - the collapse sidebar should be good to go now - next up is still the outstanding issue with the stickies. Hang tight!
When is the ad fixes that I posted about going to happen? When is the blue line fix happening? When will ghost ads stop appearing? Is Buzz60 removed from AnandTech for good? Is the green/gray/red bar removed for good? If any of them was removed, why were they removed?

Well, they removed the laugh response, so I'm not going to be that hasty...

For example: Can Ironwing still edit the tags that I dump in his threads? I hope not!

Just insert/upload an inline image of an emoji.