Question Forspoken: First game that renders the Radeon RX 580/590 obsolete?

Jul 27, 2020

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
How ironic that it's AMD sponsored game...
In the last couple of years, this has occurred with both i.e. sponsor a game and the others' hardware performs better comparatively than would be expected.

This game has been dubbed Forbroken for good cause. It is also about as popular as a moldy sandwich. Between ditching Polaris and not playing this game, I can already predict which owners will choose. ;)

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
There's always the conspiracy that AMD/NVidia sponsor them to cripple the performance on older hardware by using newer features in order to get people to upgrade.

I've still got a Polaris card, but I'm not playing more modern titles that much anyway. I hadn't even heard of this game up until now so it probably wouldn't have affected me anyway.

Spjut

Apr 9, 2011
Is there actually an error message or developer comment stating that it is because of missing feature level 12_1?
I have searched for it, but my impression is that the game just crashes and people just think it is because of missing specific 12_1 features and not a driver issue prompting the crash

I have read that it works on Linux but I want a qualified answer if that is proof or not...If the driver emulates the missing 12_1 features on these GPUs, or if the driver just works as expected

Anyway, one of the reasons I did think Maxwell would be capable for low end gaming longer than Polaris

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
In the last couple of years, this has occurred with both i.e. sponsor a game and the others' hardware performs better comparatively than would be expected.

This game has been dubbed Forbroken for good cause. It is also about as popular as a moldy sandwich. Between ditching Polaris and not playing this game, I can already predict which owners will choose. ;)
To be honest I think it looks rather bad or at least nothing special. I have no idea how it can run this bad (consoles including).

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Look at the bright side. The PC Polaris can still run many games, for example Dead Space remake that just came out. While these games are not even available on the Console Polaris. So if you have a PC Polaris, you are lucky.

Panino Manino

Jan 28, 2017
How ironic that it's AMD sponsored game...

Things like this makes me get mad at AMD, what a joke.
How can they still keep embarrassing themselves like this? Sponsored game doesn't run on their most popular cards... And this was supposed to be a showcase for FidelityFX. They give no supervision to make sure that it just doesn't end making a joke of their technologies like CACAO?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Things like this makes me get mad at AMD, what a joke.
How can they still keep embarrassing themselves like this? Sponsored game doesn't run on their most popular cards... And this was supposed to be a showcase for FidelityFX. They give no supervision to make sure that it just doesn't end making a joke of their technologies like CACAO?

Not sure how this is a joke, or AMDs fault.

The developer is the one that decided to not test cards that came out seven years ago. They do specifically state that the minimum system requirements as this:
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon™ RX 5500 XT 8GB / NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 6 GB VRAM

The game should be checking what GPU you have, and give an alert when you try to launch it, instead of just crashing though.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
Look at the bright side. The PC Polaris can still run many games, for example Dead Space remake that just came out. While these games are not even available on the Console Polaris. So if you have a PC Polaris, you are lucky.

don't think the console GPU (Xbox One X?) was the full implementation of the RX 480 "Polaris" architecture?
also the reason for no supporting is almost certainly the slow CPU and hard drive not GPU feature set.

RX 580 should be good enough for this game at least in lower resolution, so it's a shame, and I'm not sure exactly what the game needs that feature level 12 would lack, but apparently the game works on dxvk with the RX 580, probably not super fast, but at this point you are adding a lot of other potential reasons for poor performance.

Not sure how this is a joke, or AMDs fault.

The developer is the one that decided to not test cards that came out seven years ago. They do specifically state that the minimum system requirements as this:

The game should be checking what GPU you have, and give an alert when you try to launch it, instead of just crashing though.

min specs are messy, the game can in fact work on much older cards than the 1060, like the maxwell 2 line, or on slower GPUs that are less old like the RX 6400

Jul 27, 2020
It's either the developers being lazy or not motivated enough or they might patch in support for Polaris in a later update.

HOWEVER, if AMD knew about this and didn't specifically ask them to add support for Polaris, then it's not the developer's fault. AMD wants Polaris to die and this is their first shot at that wish.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
The real controversy will be when a DX12U only game arrives.

I'd also wonder about AVX2 only, although I'm not sure how likely console developers would use it over using the GPU.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
The real controversy will be when a DX12U only game arrives.

I'd also wonder about AVX2 only, although I'm not sure how likely console developers would use it over using the GPU.

Uncharted on PC initially required AVX2, but the community snapped at the devs and they took it back.

And they did the right thing, because it runs fine on my old sandy bridge.

Stupid jaguar port requiring avx2 on pc....meh

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Uncharted on PC initially required AVX2, but the community snapped at the devs and they took it back.

And they did the right thing, because it runs fine on my old sandy bridge.

Stupid jaguar port requiring avx2 on pc....meh

Huh, forgot about that one. And it was only a couple months ago that it was released. I had to look it up but it is a native PS5 game, even though it's just a minor remaster. Hence AVX2.

Haswell is almost 10 years old at this point.

Reactions: psolord

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Huh, forgot about that one. And it was only a couple months ago that it was released. I had to look it up but it is a native PS5 game, even though it's just a minor remaster. Hence AVX2.

Haswell is almost 10 years old at this point.

Oh that may explain why I wanted to pull my eyes out, when I looked for help in a couple of situations in the game, that I was stuck. I found ps4 videos on youtube, that's why! xD I was playing on my good system at the time of course (12400f+3060ti,ultra).

Anyhoo, I used my 3060ti on the 2700k for quite a while and it was mostly fine. I even played Elex II on that configuration, from start to finish and while the cpu cried inside the cities, during gameplay it was ok. And whoever played Elex II, knows what I'm talking about! Sandy bridge tech launched in January 2011.....:O Still rocking though, so why exclude them, since they can get the job done for 60fps gaming? Especially the hyperthreaded ones.

I have a video of Guardians of the Galaxy, runinng on 2500K+3060ti, on a specific location with a fight, that was also tested by Digital Foundry, and the 4/4 2500k, has equal frame drops, as the PS5 in performance mode! BUT with higher settings (+RT) AND it was also recording while playing. Yeah these cpus were epic and if it wasn't for the pci 2.0 bus, they would be even more epic.