Question Fornite on both OS and data drive.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
My nephew says his fortnite started running slow after a Windows update. I'm tried to troubleshoot yesterday but I'm not familiar with how Epic installs fortnite. I checked the integrity of the game which went well. His 128GB OS drive has 5GB of free space which is not good so I tried freeing up space by looking for large files. I discovered fortnite had about 60GB on the C: drive and about 86GB on the D: drive. Is this normal? I can't recall if he has Epic set up to install games on the D: drive or not but my concern is why does fortnite have a bunch of space on both drives? I wish I could recall the name of the file/folder on C:. I think the file/folder had something to do with dlc or things he paid for maybe.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
My nephew says his fortnite started running slow after a Windows update. I'm tried to troubleshoot yesterday but I'm not familiar with how Epic installs fortnite. I checked the integrity of the game which went well. His 128GB OS drive has 5GB of free space which is not good so I tried freeing up space by looking for large files. I discovered fortnite had about 60GB on the C: drive and about 86GB on the D: drive. Is this normal? I can't recall if he has Epic set up to install games on the D: drive or not but my concern is why does fortnite have a bunch of space on both drives? I wish I could recall the name of the file/folder on C:. I think the file/folder had something to do with dlc or things he paid for maybe.
There's a 0% chance that installing a windows update made his computer slower.

Having said that, odds are good it's installed twice. Very minimal possibility that it does some kind of idiotic 'patch caching' on the OS drive where I some the epic launcher is, but that's pushing it.

Download treesize free and figure out where the bad folders are.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
There's a 0% chance that installing a windows update made his computer slower.

Having said that, odds are good it's installed twice. Very minimal possibility that it does some kind of idiotic 'patch caching' on the OS drive where I some the epic launcher is, but that's pushing it.

Download treesize free and figure out where the bad folders are.
Thanks for your reply. I'm also thinking there is an installation on both drives. I wanted to dive deeper but they had other plans for me.

I'll install treesize when I visit again next week. hopefully it will point me in the right direction. Either way the installation needs to be on D: since the C: drive is near capacity.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
My nephew asked about the game again before I left tonight. It's still been running and loading slow. The 60GB fortnite file on C: I mentioned above was in C: progam files or program files (x86) / epic games / vault cache or something close to that. I went ahead and deleted the 60GB file and the game still started for him. He's still running a b/g wireless adapter so I may see if I can hook one of my AC routers and make it a wireless adapter somehow.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
@balloonshark , PM me a mail drop, and I'll get a 480GB SSD posted out to him or you or whomever. Hope that he doesn't mind "off brands". (I have some "Kodak" drives, made by "Emtec" apparently, and I might have one or two Team Group left, not sure. Also have a few Corsair "B stock"/"Refurb".) LMK if you're interested in a free SSD. (Those are the largest new SATA 2.5" SSDs that I have in-stock. I don't have any 1TB ones yet.)

Edit: I found a BNIB Team Group GX1 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD in my box, it's yours if you want it.

Edit: You'll have to clone the OS drive and then expand the partition, or re-install the OS onto the new SSD. I can walk you through cloning, if need be. (I've posted instructions before, how to use Macrium Reflect Free to do an image backup of an OS drive to a portable external HDD, and then use a Macrium boot USB to restore that image to the new drive. It's slightly lengthy, but it's not overly difficult, if you can navigate the menus.)

Edit: I'll toss in a USB2.0 AC wifi / BT dongle w/antenna too, cost me less than $10 from China on ebay. (Comfast brand.) I use those on my own systems, they work so well.

Last edited:

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
@balloonshark , PM me a mail drop, and I'll get a 480GB SSD posted out to him or you or whomever. Hope that he doesn't mind "off brands". (I have some "Kodak" drives, made by "Emtec" apparently, and I might have one or two Team Group left, not sure. Also have a few Corsair "B stock"/"Refurb".) LMK if you're interested in a free SSD. (Those are the largest new SATA 2.5" SSDs that I have in-stock. I don't have any 1TB ones yet.)

Edit: I found a BNIB Team Group GX1 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD in my box, it's yours if you want it.

Edit: You'll have to clone the OS drive and then expand the partition, or re-install the OS onto the new SSD. I can walk you through cloning, if need be. (I've posted instructions before, how to use Macrium Reflect Free to do an image backup of an OS drive to a portable external HDD, and then use a Macrium boot USB to restore that image to the new drive. It's slightly lengthy, but it's not overly difficult, if you can navigate the menus.)

Edit: I'll toss in a USB2.0 AC wifi / BT dongle w/antenna too, cost me less than $10 from China on ebay. (Comfast brand.) I use those on my own systems, they work so well.
Thanks for the offer Larry. It's very kind of you. I'm not entirely sure what the issue is though. He mentioned it right before I left last night so I didn't have much time to dig around. The game took a long time to load up and when it did the screen where he picked his character would show the characters or was taking forever.

The machine is getting old but it used to run fortnite decently. I bought the rig for him from the forums in 2016 and replaced the graphics card with a GTX 960 OC. I believe the HDD is a laptop drive that is most likely a slower drive. I tossed around the idea of finding a 4th gen i5 or i7 for that rig. People have been paying a premium for the i7s and I'm not sure if adding an i5 would be worth it.

Asus H81M-A motherboard
-1 x PCIe x 16, 2 x PCIe x 1
-2 x SATA III, 2 x SATA II
-2 x USB 3.0, 8 x USB 2.0
Intel Pentium G3420 Dual Core CPU Operating at 3.2 GHz
● 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM as 2 x 4
eVGA GTX 275 Video Card with 1792 MB GDDR3 Memory P/N 017-P3-1175-AR (Now a GTX 960 OC)
● 120 GB OCZ VertexSolid State drive 6 GB/sec
● 250 GB HDD as data drive
● LG 24x combo cd/dvd optical drive
● Windows 10 Professional 64 Installed, activated, updated

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The machine is getting old but it used to run fortnite decently. I bought the rig for him from the forums in 2016 and replaced the graphics card with a GTX 960 OC. I believe the HDD is a laptop drive that is most likely a slower drive. I tossed around the idea of finding a 4th gen i5 or i7 for that rig. People have been paying a premium for the i7s and I'm not sure if adding an i5 would be worth it.
i'm think that it's one of two things:
1) His existing storage sub-system is knackered; either the laptop HDD is getting old or worn and slowing down (in which case a BNIB 480GB SATA6G SSD would re-vitalize things a bit), or
2) Fortnite's software just has feature-creep (after all, it's a 99-player battle royale, right?), and really, these days, requires a bit better CPU (quad-core) and GPU (more VRAM) than he has.
or
3) his wifi dongle is failing, and he should wire up or get a decent one.

If the character-select screen is lagging, then it seems to me that 1 or 3 is more likely than 2.