FormulaBOINC

Page 41 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Later it was indicated that a GPU version exists, but is not being released because it would enable to complete the entire project in one week. o_O
Wow! That's no reason not to use it. That's a reason to end the project! No more POGS for me after this race, then.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
The step up in Sztaki ranking which GLeeM reported was actually in the year long category (marathon). They haven't included it as a sprint project this year.

A pro pos marathon, you are doing a lot of good work at Leiden Classical, where we are holding 25 marathon points currently.
Well, I'm glad that I left my computers on useful projects the last time I touched them about 6 months ago. I used to swap projects on a regular basis since I think it's funny to have credits in every possible project (a personal goal), but I've been so busy this year that I haven't even checked my stats since February. I only saw this thread since my name was flagged so the site sent me an email notification. :)

I'll just leave my computers doing what they are doing unless you need me to put some efforts into other projects. If so, just let me know.

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
Wow! That's no reason not to use it. That's a reason to end the project! No more POGS for me after this race, then.
I agree with Ken on this. Prolonging the projects status I assume for future funding makes since to them. But for us that have to pay our utility bills to run there project throttled back, kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth. In the end its a volunteer on our part, but it sounds like Pogs isn't worried about the science as much to release a gpu client that runs more effectively and would give the most research results...may have to only run this one when it helps the team.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I still wonder whether it's true, or whether I misunderstood something, looked twice if the respective post wasn't from an April 1 or something. Maybe the admin didn't literally mean "all of POGS" but only all what the server could generate at that time...?

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
I think you read it right the first time, sadly

"Edit: In regards to the GPU app, there is one that has been developed, however we don't have enough data for people to compute. If we opened up the GPU app, all of POGS would be completed within the week."

So yeah I think they are stringing us along. And that's sad to see when so many other projects could use the resources the DC community is wasting on it. It's a low scoring project for Number Crunchers and to say its for science now becomes a moot point.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Well that seems to have let all the wind of of the sails for this Sprint...

I'm putting all my CPU cores towards it, regardless.

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014

I'm putting all my CPU cores towards it, regardless.
Yeah it reminds of back in 2001 or 2002, there was a DNA/genome project that I crunched, some of the old timers here may remember it too, it was supposed to for humans, turned out to be chicken dna, and I think the project went belly up after that was leaked. All those wasted resources.

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
And I'm already two thirds of the way to Milestone 10M :(

Or I'll get to 10M and then they will release the GPU app!

Not all that different from crunching F@H in the beginning for 50 ppd and now you can get 5M ppd ;)

So tighten the ropes on those sails ...

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
This is quorum of 2 so its hard to say, especially if there are bunkers..Crunch on, Ill probably shut down based on the time to completion before the deadline on Sunday. Then Ill dump everything and focus on something else.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Funny thing is, I've been really busy with work and didn't even know the race had started. This is just work done by my machines that have Sztaki set up as a "backup" project and check in once in a while to see if they can get any tasks from it. :)
Good to see you drop in, old friend! :)

Re: POGS GPU app. Well, that chaps my a$$. :mad:

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
The GPU app reminds me of the time when some guy stopped in here and proposed a project to count the number of ways a game of bowling could go. His app was inefficient, so I started improving it. Within about a week I had a partially dynamic programming solution that solved the entire problem on a single core in less than a second!

Reactions: Rudy Toody

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
I left this discussion overnight and this morning things escalate very quickly. Thanks Stefan for doing further research about it.
Actually, I've read pogs archive for few days and I believe at some point they have a working opencl app but somehow it never shows up on their apps list until Stefan came along.
It really hard to swallow that the reason they never bring opencl app to the table is because it will accelerate their project too much, they won't have time (and possibly money) to process all of the results properly.

I don't think I will run pogs any longer after the sprint because I have pretty weak cpu and the credit it brings quiet low if we compare it with other projects.

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Late again..............what can I say, was at the Great Minnesota Get Together.....and being labor day weekend I'll probably be late every day.
That said, here is the marathon stats. Not going to probably get any points here as it is a low scoring project, but should put a little space on the ones below us.

theSkyNet POGS....................Marathon
1 Overclock.net ......................25 .............48,075,868
2 OcUK - Overclockers UK ....18 ..............43,756,408
3 US NAVY .............................15 ..............37,458,497
4 Ars Technica ........................12 ..............27,144,157
5 Sicituradastra. ......................10 ..............26,155,195
6 Crunching@EVGA .................8 ..............20,946,393
7 AMD Users .............................6 ..............13,885,175
8 TeAm AnandTech ..................4 ................8,696,034
9 meisterkuehler.de Team .........2 ...............7,860,494
10 XtremeSystems ....................1 ...............7,817,764

Kiska

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
I left this discussion overnight and this morning things escalate very quickly. Thanks Stefan for doing further research about it.
Actually, I've read pogs archive for few days and I believe at some point they have a working opencl app but somehow it never shows up on their apps list until Stefan came along.
It really hard to swallow that the reason they never bring opencl app to the table is because it will accelerate their project too much, they won't have time (and possibly money) to process all of the results properly.

I don't think I will run pogs any longer after the sprint because I have pretty weak cpu and the credit it brings quiet low if we compare it with other projects.

Pretty much, their whole server is run on an aws*. And the project is funded by the Australian government, which means they have to keep processing things to get funding from the government****.

*And the instance they chose is slow as all hell, a t2.2xlarge.... and because of that, if you exceed baseline*** cpu usage, it starts crewing into cpu credits** and when that runs out, it is capped to baseline until cpu credits has recovered.

**CPU credits is Amazon's way of shoving as many customers onto a node, and when they complain, they can just quote this policy. When you start your instance, it is given a set number of cpu credits, and it accrues as long as cpu usage is below baseline usage, when it exceeds that, cpu credits are consumed, at a rate of 1 credit per vcore at 100% utilisation for 1 minute.

***Baseline is different for each instance. Here is the list http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/t2-instances.html#t2-instances-cpu-credits

****Unless that has changed in the last year

yodap

Jan 13, 2014
Very informative, thanks Kiska.
Some of our mates love this project, I'll run it if the team needs my cores but otherwise not so much.

Anyhow we find ourselves chasing 2 teams to gain 1 spot.:confounded: Not so easy but hopefully we can lock down 4th soon.

Good luck holding them off.

Reactions: TennesseeTony

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Sheesh, we're getting pummeled on this Sprint.

I have some bunkers, but the one I released didn't score very well, and if that is the way the other bunkers go....uhm this won't be a pretty race for the TeAm.

As this project requires validation(aka wingman, quorum=2 ), that throws in a variable beyond our control. OcUK has been hitting POGS heavy long before this Sprint, so they have a super-strong advantage, already having so many tasks completed and awaiting validation.

OCN's daily output appears to have dropped when this Sprint began, so, gosh, what could that possibly mean? :D Keep an eye on the rearview mirror, I say. :)

(good to see ya yodap! Well done on giving us a spanking, for now. ;) )

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
Well I guess somebody released an effective bunker, as we're back in second place. :)

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Day one finds us in second place. We have been as low as third that I have seen. Looks like its gonna be a ruff one, but now that more work is being validated we are doing better.:wink::wink:.
OcUK seem to be overachieving this sprint, will they be able to keep up the pace? OC.net has Ars sneeking up from behind with the Germans not far behind them.:eek:
This will be one to keep an eye on.

theSkyNet POGS....................Sprint.........Day One
1 OcUK - Overclockers UK .............25 .........1,246,811
2 TeAm AnandTech ........................18 ............765,171

3 Crunching@EVGA .......................15 ............528,534
4 Overclock.net ...............................12 .............375,638
5 Ars Technica .................................10 ............236,869
6 meisterkuehler.de Team .................8 .............205,112
7 US NAVY ........................................6 ...............90,184
8 The Scottish Boinc Team ...............4 ................64,699
9 AMD Users .....................................2 ................32,666
10 team.se .........................................1 ................28,609

theSkyNet POGS....................Marathon
1 Overclock.net ............................25 ...............48,450,434
2 OcUK - Overclockers UK ..........18 ...............44,674,300
3 US NAVY ...................................15 ...............37,538,478
4 Ars Technica ..............................12 ...............27,386,524
5 Sicituradastra. ............................10 ................26,174,645
6 Crunching@EVGA .......................8 ................21,287,582
7 AMD Users ...................................6 ................13,913,252
8 TeAm AnandTech ........................4 ..................9,039,147
9 meisterkuehler.de Team ..............2 ..................8,001,881
10 XtremeSystems .........................1 ..................7,823,107

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Regarding the overall Marathon, may I direct your attention to League 1, so that you may observe the score of Gridcoin, which is in first place.

Now may I direct your attention to League 3, so that you may observe the score of our first place friends at [H].

I believe you will all agree, some Wow!'s and Congratulations [H]! are in order. :D

PS: Can they outscore the mighty Gridcoin before the season ends? We will have to watch, wait, and cheer them on to find out. ;)

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Well, that's impressive indeed.

They were arguably put into a wrong league this year, which makes it easy to win project sprints, but makes it difficult to remain motivated. But while I suspect that they are a bit bored from sprints by now, all signs are there that they are directing a lot of concerted effort at the project marathons.

I'm sure [H] have a very good chance to overtake Gridcoin's FB points. While Gridcoin got the full 25 points in many projects, they have few or none in some less popular ones.

BTW, interesting how WCG belongs to the "less popular" category in Gridcoin's participation.