FormulaBOINC

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
...oh, and respect to Overclock.net for speeding past SETI@NL like it's nothing, to Crunching@EVGA for getting awfully close to a medal, and to OcUK for beating the United States Navy. And congratulations to [H]ard|OCP for winning by a wide margin in League 3.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I think I remember seeing something about the top three teams moving up and the bottom three moving down, but now I can't find it. Just "The distribution of teams depends on the number of active members (RAC>100) on each project." Where was that?
Well............It's gone. Vanished. It used to be on the home page. RECENTLY.
It re-appeared after the SETI sprint, but is now overwritten by the announcement of the next sprint.
I.e. the blurb about 2018 leagues is only visible if there are ~2 weeks pause between sprints.

Here it is:
https://web.archive.org/web/20170530224953/http://formula-boinc.org/

Reactions: Ken g6

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
The next project gets announced in 24 hours, so if you haven't yet begun to reduce the queue size of whatever your are currently running, now is the time to think about doing that. :) BUNKERING starts tomorrow (in the USA) at 4pm EST, 3pm Central, 2pm Mountain, and 1pm Pacific. 20:00 UTC time. Actual racing starts 24 hours after that, of course. I am repeating this info, in the event we have any silent partners who may be keeping tabs and desiring to participate. (We'd love to hear from ya if that is the case. :) )

Reactions: Ken g6

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
You might also want to get Windows 10 updates out of the way before the race starts. One of my machines just got what I assume is the Creators Update.

But the weather's getting so hot I'm not sure how much racing I'll be doing.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Looks like DENIS might be down for the count, so it seems unlikely they will be selected for a sprint.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
The next project gets announced in 24 hours, so if you haven't yet begun to reduce the queue size of whatever your are currently running, now is the time to think about doing that. :) BUNKERING starts tomorrow (in the USA) at 4pm EST, 3pm Central, 2pm Mountain, and 1pm Pacific. 20:00 UTC time. Actual racing starts 24 hours after that, of course. I am repeating this info, in the event we have any silent partners who may be keeping tabs and desiring to participate. (We'd love to hear from ya if that is the case. :) )
Is there an advantage to reducing the queue size over simply aborting tasks that have not yet begun? I had understood that there was no real downside to aborting tasks, that would would be immediately available for others to crunch.

Kiska

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
Is there an advantage to reducing the queue size over simply aborting tasks that have not yet begun? I had understood that there was no real downside to aborting tasks, that would would be immediately available for others to crunch.

Aborting = Make project server not like your PC. Therefore it gets untrusted and you won't have as many in progress tasks.
i.e SETI reduces your buffer to 1 if you abort too many tasks

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
All's quiet as we wait the next 45min for the announcement. If I got my UTC conversion right, lol.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Aborting = Make project server not like your PC. Therefore it gets untrusted and you won't have as many in progress tasks.
i.e SETI reduces your buffer to 1 if you abort too many tasks
Well... Asteroids might not be liking me in about 46 minutes...

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
I'm not getting any. :( I'll try for Atlas work tomorrow - it doesn't bunker, so no reason to try tonight.

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
One hour later, got some on one machine. Just gonna let this one run and whatever happens happens. :(

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I don't know if I want to participate this time. For such a wonderful scientific organization, their BOINC implementation seems second-rate.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
As far as I can tell, LHC@home must have upgraded their internet uplink recently.
acousticcoupler.jpg

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
Someone posted how to do a proxy during the pentathlon. If you don't mind can you do it again so we can bunker Atlas. I can't search it right now on my phone. But will get the 2670 set up when I get home.

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
I still don't think you can bunker Atlas. It has to communicate with its server directly. So anything you do to block networking should prevent it from working. The idea I had posted in the pentathlon was for Cosmology.

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
I still don't think you can bunker Atlas. It has to communicate with its server directly. So anything you do to block networking should prevent it from working. The idea I had posted in the pentathlon was for Cosmology.
Ah that must have been it.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
I'm not bunkering, just running.

Before allowing LHC tasks, I ran CPU benchmarks, then I set my number of days worth of tasks to 0, which only gives one at a time per thread.

My hope was (and maybe I am misunderstanding the time-out issue) that if I got tasks that timed out in a few seconds, the server would perhaps pick up on the pattern before I was sent hundreds of tasks that would time-out, and adjust my next task(s). I did initially see a few time-outs on one box, but...for the moment...every box has been crunching their tasks for hours.

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Now I remember why it has taken me 12 years to get to 250K in LHC.
I just did 100+ (3 minute) WUs for 200 points, but it cost me ~40MB. If I did that for a few days my monthly bandwidth would be used up!!
I sent them up, and hope this batch is better.