FormulaBOINC

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I let it run its cycle several times. I am going to give it an hour and see what happens,

Yes, that's basically what I did as well. But will it emit a "Not requesting tasks: don't need (job cache full)" message on its own without manual update?

have to do some yardwork and cook on the grill before the sun gets too low.

Not an option for me, as I am sitting at the darker side of the pond. :)

Ill check back in a bit, I just want to suspend these 8 tasks it gave me before they complete since I need to leave the network on to fill up the cache when its available.

But If you suspend tasks such that it doesn't make further computing progress at this project anymore eventually, doesn't boincmgr desist from further downloads then?

project has no tasks in the event log is what im getting on all systems

I loaded up my last client less than an hour ago and it was alright. Perhaps because I'm on the continent and you are on an island. :p

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I am getting this:
4/26/2017 6:14:36 PM | World Community Grid | This computer has reached a limit on tasks in progress

But there's only a few things running. Redid the CPU benchmarks to no avail. Both my Haswell and Skylake quad are doing this... :(

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
I am letting it crunch without suspending at the moment, still 1:45:33 left until completion. So I just want to let them ride until almost 100%, then if no new tasks are available, I'll suspend and hang on till something changes. WCG may not be aware of the amount of work that's about to get completed.

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
PS,
don't use "Update" on a project too frequently, or the server might detach your client. I don't know how the server policy at WCG is in this regard. Hence I mentioned not to use "Update" while "Communication deferred" is showing in the projects tab.
Could you explain what "or the server might detach your client" means? And what project did that to you? Or where did you read that?

I often go click happy on the Update button! In my BOINC career I have probably clicked it 10,000 times o_O

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
@crashtech, are there queued-up tasks from other projects at ~0 % progress which you could abort? (At the risk of that other project running idle until you switch network activity back on.)

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Could you explain what "or the server might detach your client" means? And what project did that to you? Or where did you read that?

I often go click happy on the Update button! In my BOINC career I have probably clicked it 10,000 times o_O

One of my boxes was temporarily detached during the beginning of the 1st or 2nd Formula BOINC sprint; I don't remember which one. My assumption was this was due to my eager updating, but I could be mistaken.

(edit) The detached status was shown on the project web site in the tasks list of the computer: Status of these work units were aborted/ detached, while I expected them to be "in progress".

I believe to have read something along these lines somewhere, but where...?

4thKor

Apr 7, 2017
I had Leidin Classical detach me. And that's fine. Got one whole task from them.

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
Well I let MW run completely out of tasks and no new WCG work units downloaded to fill things up. Has the well went dry?

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
@crashtech, are there queued-up tasks from other projects at ~0 % progress which you could abort? (At the risk of that other project running idle until you switch network activity back on.)
No! I have decided that all quads and up will do only WCG for now, until baselines can be established. So there are like 6 WUs, 4 running and 2 waiting, I'm just going to have to leave network on until something can be figured out.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
@crashtech , @iwajabitw

I found that a few of my boxes did not already have WCG as a project, so I added it of course and those boxes had to UPLOAD results before WCG would send me a reasonable sized queue. I was seeing the message about having reached my task limit on those boxes as well.

As for being out of tasks, don't fret, it's a huge project and they are constantly producing new work. But yes, the surge in demand has certainly made tasks a bit scarce at the moment.

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
@crashtech , @iwajabitw

I found that a few of my boxes did not already have WCG as a project, so I added it of course and those boxes had to UPLOAD results before WCG would send me a reasonable sized queue. I was seeing the message about having reached my task limit on those boxes as well.

As for being out of tasks, don't fret, it's a huge project and they are constantly producing new work. But yes, the surge in demand has certainly made tasks a bit scarce at the moment.

That's a big possibility as this is the only system I have not ran WCG on. Guess ill let these call home and see what happens after that.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Well, I have somewhere between 136 and 469 tasks on each of my 6 boxes waiting. Partly because this one of my primary DC tasks I think. Anyway, bunkering now, lets see what happens.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
The funny thing is some machines have a huge amount, while these others are starving. I wish there was a way to move them, lol.

Edit: They just needed to complete a bit of work to be allowed into the fold! Yay, lotsa tasks now :D

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
The funny thing is some machines have a huge amount, while these others are starving. I wish there was a way to move them, lol.

Edit: They just needed to complete a bit of work to be allowed into the fold! Yay, lotsa tasks now :D

20min, and ill hopefully get the same.

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
Well, one of them got tasks, the Skylake still isn't feeling the love even having finished some work.
Well its like you said. I did get a bunch of tasks after they uploaded, even my selection change for Fight Childhood Cancer, downloaded, but I don't think its 12-20 hrs worth, so I guess Ill take what I get for this machine.

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
On my 280x Gpu machines they are running full cores plus the gpu with no problem. On my Nvidia machine they are using the allotted HT cores. I figure when Einstein runs out of work they will use all 6, 12 HT cores of my i7 5820.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
It's just taking time. Is WCG one of the projects where HT is okay? I think it is.
HT is good for most projects. OT, but new tests on PrimeGrid's forums show HT even helps LLR when song the new multi-core method.

Reactions: crashtech

ocukguest

Apr 15, 2017
looking at both teams I think its going to go between you guys and oc.net this time, but as always we can only do our best with the members we have :)

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
World Community Grid -- Marathon
1 IBM .........................25 .......1,876,403,058
2 XtremeSystems ......18 .........193,878,034
3 UserFriendly.org .....15 ...........57,248,188
4 France .....................12 ..........48,983,252
5 AMD Users ..............10 ..........32,748,843
6 Team Norway ............8 ..........27,258,589
7 Overclock.net ............6 ...........26,228,864
8 Hungary ....................4 ............23,608,234
9 TeAm AnandTech .....2 ............23,226,566

10 Crunching@EVGA ..1 ............22,597,077

Just a quick look at where we are in the Marathon standings before the sprint gets underway :)

For new people to this project.....the points given at WCG are 7 times more than what you will get for BOINC points. :(

Jondi

Apr 16, 2017
looking at both teams I think its going to go between you guys and oc.net this time, but as always we can only do our best with the members we have :)

Who knows? Maybe Tony will send some of his team members home early like last time :p