Formula1 2013 thread

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
Good race! Alonso just smoked them, they are going to be title contenders this year.

Well, that was a strategy-heavy race.
Kimi's bad start was very unlucky, he might have been able to duke it out with Alonso up front. Nice to see him on the podium again.
Great final laps by Vettel, but probably a bit too greedy at one moment, where he went wide.
Wonder what will happen with the DRS under yellow investigation. With a third of the grid under investigation, that's kind of weird.
Also, I wonder how Perez didn't get a penalty for running Kimi off the track.
Great race and quali by Ricciardo.

I thought it looked like just as much his fault as Perez. Just looked like hard racing to me. Unlike Webbers bomb run.

punjabiplaya

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2006
Wonder what will happen with the DRS under yellow investigation. With a third of the grid under investigation, that's kind of weird.

Penalties:

• Webber gets a 3 place grid penalty in Bahrain.
  • Gutierrez gets a 5 place grid penalty in Bahrain.
  • No penalty for Perez.
  • 8 drivers (Sebastian Vettel, Mark Webber, Kimi Raikkonen, Valtteri Bottas, Daniel Riccardo, Jenson Button, Romain Grosjean, Nico Hulkenberg and Max Chilton) have received no penalty over the charge of use of DRS under yellow flags.

tweakmonkey

Mar 11, 2013
tweak3d.net
I didn't watch it again (late night focus zzz) but thought Kimi made a big mistake trying to pass Perez on the outside. Seemed like Kimi's fault 100%, the road simply ran out and he had nowhere to go from what I saw...

And Weber, man did he screw up smashing into the back of that Torro Rosso. Going for a gap with no chance of making a pass. Then seeing him stay out at 30 MPH next to 100+ MPH cars, yikes. So dangerous, he's lucky nobody clobbered that wheel at 150 MPH.

That was a pretty exciting race. I was nervous at the end watching Hamilton trying to outrun a RB on fresh soft tires. So close! Loved seeing Alonso dominate and very very happy not to hear the German anthem on the podium or even see a Red Bull.

Last edited:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I didn't watch it again (late night focus zzz) but thought Kimi made a big mistake trying to pass Perez on the outside. Seemed like Kimi's fault 100%, the road simply ran out and he had nowhere to go from what I saw...

And Weber, man did he screw up smashing into the back of that Torro Rosso. Going for a gap with no chance of making a pass. Then seeing him stay out at 30 MPH next to 100+ MPH cars, yikes. So dangerous, he's lucky nobody clobbered that wheel at 150 MPH.

That was a pretty exciting race. I was nervous at the end watching Hamilton trying to outrun a RB on fresh soft tires. So close! Loved seeing Alonso dominate and very very happy not to hear the German anthem on the podium or even see a Red Bull.

I think Vettel's tires were going off and he just didn't have the grip to get past Hamilton. He seemed to be struggling with understeer pretty bad on the last few corners.

I enjoyed seeing Alonso take a well deserved win. He is one of the most consistent drivers and deserved that win.

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012

Well, the interpretation offered by the Sky commentators, was that by closing the inside (which he did) he shouldn't also close the outside - but went right over the white lines, with Raikönnen already next to him.
Of course you could say, that he took the inside not in a defensive maneuver, but as part of the racing line, and then defended by going to the outside. Still, Kimi was next to him, and he ran him off the road. So I certainly don't see how this could be Kimi's fault exclusively. He's got every right to put himself beside someone, and not expect getting run off the road.

Interesting how the Top 5 were the world champions (and 6 was Massa, who in his "first career" almost bagged one himself). I think this race bodes well for the season, as it shows that the cars are reasonably similar, that driver skill really makes a difference.

Or maybe every team is just optimizing the experience for their number one driver...

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
And here I thought that Bahrain GPs were always going to be rubbish. But this time, there was a lot of overtaking, and not even in just the DRS-zones.
Shame for Ferrari, with the broken wings...

And Webber doing another move, that earned him the ire of the stewards...

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Yep, that was a hell of a race. Sad to see what happened to Alonso, would have been even better seeing him and Vettel duke it out longer.

What the hell happened to Rosberg lol? Sitting duck the whole race.

punjabiplaya

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2006
Some really good battles all throughout the field. Great race up until the end. So used to seeing Webber lose places on the first lap, not the last lap, lol.

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
So, only a reprimand this time around for Webber, and no penalty. Didn't quite get the early season hattrick together ;)

Spain in another three weeks. Damnit, those breaks are killing me :D

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
Both Williams out in Q1 - ouch.
Seems like they've taken a good step back, compared to last season, especially in quali.

And Rosberg on pole again. The Mercedes is turning into a one-lap-wonder-machine.

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
They say it is different this time and their race sim times in FP look good.

Yes, supposedly they're mostly limited by thermals, and will run the tire reasonably in cool temperatures.
My point was, that during qualifying they've absolutely turned into a force to be reckoned with, neatly taking over, where McLaren left off last year. I had not intended to make it sound as though they could never be able to carry it over into the race.

Another interesting point, is that Grosjean outqualified Webber. And Massa set more or less the same time as Alonso. He's definitely feeling good in that F138.

Definitely looks like it can turn into a very exciting race, despite the track not being known for its overtaking opportunities. Anyone willing to put odds on Kimi taking another podium?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Hamilton replaces Kimi for best in-race radio quote: "I can't drive any slower."

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Did Massa Say Bacci Ciao! to the Ferrari Chairman? lol!

He basically said Cya kisses!