Former Westboro protester apologizes to mother of slain soldier

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Really no different than large portions of the Left base; just go look at HuffPo readership comments on the SEAL who got killed at the gun range recently...those folks and these people are really two peas same pod.

I think the most surprising thing is Westboro members weren't eliminated by either grieving family/friends and/or ex-military for their disgusting behaviour. At least it sounds like hopefully the group is disbanding.

Chuck

How do you get from some posts to "large portions" ? How do you know the posters are even posting their true opinions ?

Consider what you are doing. Using his death to make an political attack.

If by the left you mean Democrats, you're way off base. Deomcrats have always supported veterans, it isn't the Democrats that repeatedly make proposals to cut VA funding, or refer to the veterans that are part of the 47% as parasites.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
From http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout...pologizes-mother-slain-soldier-152326906.html -

I believe this is the second member of the Westboro Baptist Church to leave and publicly criticize it, and I always find it fascinating. From everything I've read the patriarch, Fred Phelps, rules with an iron fist, and the whole thing sounds more like a cult than anything else, in terms of the total psychological control the church seems to have over its members. I find everything they do distasteful, but in a way it's very American to have such a repugnant group occupy the public stage for so long.

According to his one son who left the fold years ago, Fred ruled his immediate family with an iron fist and a belt or two so it seems logical he would do the same with the extended family. Congrats to the granddaughter for stepping out of the darkness, hopefully her kin will follow.

Really no different than large portions of the Left base; just go look at HuffPo readership comments on the SEAL who got killed at the gun range recently...those folks and these people are really two peas same pod.

I think the most surprising thing is Westboro members weren't eliminated by either grieving family/friends and/or ex-military for their disgusting behaviour. At least it sounds like hopefully the group is disbanding.

Chuck

Actually a lot different. The amount of people from any group who post comments to news articles no matter what the site is a small subset of the group and not wholly representative of the individual members and their thought processes.

That you choose to view it the way you do does speak volumes, though not pleasing to the ear.

Last edited: