News Former Theranos CEO Eliazbeth Holmes sentenced to 11.5 years

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
A little over 11 years seems fair. Considering she defrauded investors of millions, and her fake tests could have killed people with bad results.

As for her being pregnant, the cynical view is this was a play at sympathy. The trial was delayed because of the first pregnancy, and as soon as she had the first kid, now she's pregnant with a second kid.

Reactions: hal2kilo

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
A little over 11 years seems fair. Considering she defrauded investors of millions, and her fake tests could have killed people with bad results.

As for her being pregnant, the cynical view is this was a play at sympathy. The trial was delayed because of the first pregnancy, and as soon as she had the first kid, now she's pregnant with a second kid.

I wonder how many kids she'd end up with after using up every chance to appeal her conviction.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000

Wag the kid???

“They don't put pretty people like me in jail” - Elizabeth Holmes today🔻

Last edited:
Reactions: hal2kilo

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999

It is cynical, and probably accurate.

Dec 10, 2005
It's a serious crime to con rich people out of their money. Should have just done it the legal way, eg looting wealth from the poors with say an MLM. Could have probably ended up secretary of education one day tbh.
Another good way outside of MLMs: start a business that just rakes a little from a lot of people and includes binding arbitration clauses in the contract (cough: AT&T Mobility LLC v. Concepcion).

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
AFAIK nothing about her trial and prosecution/punishment has anything to do with defrauding patients or the general public. If healthcare fraud/malpractice was actually a punishable crime for executives, there’d be a helluva lot more pharma bros, insurance executives, hospital boards/leaders, oxy pushing docs, people named Sackler etc. in jail.

But hell hath no fury like an institutional investor scorned. DAs and federal prosecutors go scorched earth on that shit.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
AFAIK nothing about her trial and prosecution/punishment has anything to do with defrauding patients or the general public. If healthcare fraud/malpractice was actually a punishable crime for executives, there’d be a helluva lot more pharma bros, insurance executives, hospital boards/leaders, oxy pushing docs, people named Sackler etc. in jail.

But hell hath no fury like an institutional investor scorned. DAs and federal prosecutors go scorched earth on that shit.

I'm not as knowledgeable on the charges, but I believe those charges were dropped for lack of proof or something. Not able to look at the moment. Someone else can probably give more info on it.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
What the hell?
During the 2020 election it was rumored how he had been bought and paid for.
I had no idea it would extend to such depths.....

Anyone paying attention to the topic of theranos knows how absolutely ludicrous his statement of support is.
“In the years since, I’ve always been struck by the way our conversations focused on her desires to make a positive impact on the world,” Booker wrote.
“I believe that Ms. Holmes has within her a sincere desire to help others, to be of meaningful service, and possesses the capacity to redeem herself,” he added, the New York Times reported.

Jul 27, 2020
And she desperately tried to keep the company afloat, doing whatever she could to lure in additional investors, like a very diligent Ponzi schemer. It could have worked if her device had reached fruition and the company value surpassed a trillion dollars or more.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
And she desperately tried to keep the company afloat, doing whatever she could to lure in additional investors, like a very diligent Ponzi schemer. It could have worked if her device had reached fruition and the company value surpassed a trillion dollars or more.
It could have but from what I’ve read it seems like the idea of the company was fundamentally unsound - it was probably never going to work.

I think it’s telling that to the best of my knowledge no other company has tried to follow in this work.