Former Sec of State Eagleburger says PALIN NOT READY.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Link

McCain supporter Eagleburger says Palin not ready for top job
By Associated Press
Friday, October 31, 2008 - Added 2h ago

WASHINGTON - A former secretary of state and supporter of Republican presidential nominee John McCain says that McCain?s running mate, Sarah Palin, isn?t up to the task of taking over the presidency in a crisis but could become "adequate" if not "a genius in the job."

Then again, added Lawrence Eagleburger, several other vice presidents were also not ready. And he said he was confident that Palin, Alaska?s governor, was tough enough if called to serve.

Eagleburger, who was secretary of state under President George H.W. Bush, has been cited frequently by McCain as one of several seasoned diplomats and former Cabinet members who back his presidential bid. McCain has pointed to them when asked about former Secretary of State Colin Powell?s decision to endorse Democrat Barack Obama.

Asked Thursday on National Public Radio if he thought Palin would be ready to take over in a crisis, Eagleburger said, "Of course not."

"I don?t think at the moment she is prepared to take over the brains of the presidency.
I can name for you any number of other vice presidents who were not particularly up to it, either," Eagleburger said.

"So the question I think is, can she learn and would she be tough enough under the circumstances if she were asked to become president? Heaven forbid that that ever takes place," he said. "Give her some time in the office and I think the answer would be, she will be adequate. I can?t say that she would be a genius in the job, but I think she would be enough to get us through a four-year ? well, I hope not. ... Get us through whatever period of time was necessary, and I devoutly hope that it would never be tested."

Asked to respond to Eagleburger?s remarks, McCain said he wasn?t troubled by them.

"Larry has never had a chance to meet Sarah," McCain told ABC?s "Good Morning America."

This is one of the former Sec's of State that McCain has been namedropping at all of the debates, how bad do you think this will hurt him with the election so close? I'm also curious to hear from all of the people who thought that Colin Powell's endorsement of Obama was "not significant". Do you think this is more or less significant than Powell's endorsement of Obama?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
He's just stating the obvious. McCain knows she isn't but he doesn't care as he picked her to help him get elected, not because she'd be adequate so in essence he put himself before the country.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
How much will it hurt McCain? You can find out using this easy Venn diagram:

1.) Draw a circle representing how many people are voting McCain.
2.) Draw a second circle representing how many people know who the fuck Larry Eagleberger is.
3.) Draw a circle representing how many people are persuaded to vote for McCain based on if Palin is qualified or not.

Yeap, looks like a good 8 or 9 people to me too.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: eskimospy

2.) Draw a second circle representing how many people know who the fuck Larry Eagleberger is.
3.) Draw a circle representing how many people are persuaded to vote for McCain based on if Palin is qualified or not.

sounds like a high estimate

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: eskimospy

All most people will hear is another Republican says Palin is unqualified. Hopefully by the 700 or 800th time it will sink in.
Who knows, maybe McCain will even realize it.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
what's there to be ready for? cutting ribbons and casting a vote in the senate every 2-3 years? though I'm sure Eagleburger must have an amazing insight into her capabilities having never actually met her.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
So what? I don't think Obama is any more qualified than Palin. ;) Only difference is, Palin's running for Vice President.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: loki8481
what's there to be ready for? cutting ribbons and casting a vote in the senate every 2-3 years?
Cute and smart reply, sweetie!

When you stop patting yourself on the back for your high levels of smartness, here's another question for you:

What do Andrew Johnson, Theodore Roosevelt, Harry Truman, Lyndon Johnson and Gerald Ford have most specifically in common?

Put your thinking cap on!

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
what's there to be ready for? cutting ribbons and casting a vote in the senate every 2-3 years? though I'm sure Eagleburger must have an amazing insight into her capabilities having never actually met her.

You must have amazing foresight. Can you give me some football predictions, I'd love to make some cash in Vegas.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Perknose
what's there to be ready for? cutting ribbons and casting a vote in the senate every 2-3 years?

When you stop patting yourself on the back for your high levels of smartness, here's another question for you:

What do Andrew Johnson, Theodore Roosevelt, Harry Truman, Lyndon Johnson and Gerald Ford have most specifically in common?

all of them were elected vice president, which Palin never will be?

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005

each had succeeded to the presidency. not by vote but by either death of the president or impeachment (as with President Ford's case)

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004

What do Aaron Burr, George Clinton, Elbridge Gerry, Daniel D. Tompkins, John C. Calhoun, Richard M. Johnson, John Tyler, George M. Dallas, William R. King, John C. Breckinridge, Hannibal Hamlin, Schuyler Colfax, Henry Wilson, William A. Wheeler, Thomas A. Hendricks, Levi P. Morton, Adlai E. Stevenson, Garret A. Hobart, Charles W. Fairbanks, James S. Sherman, Thomas R. Marshall, Charles G. Dawes, Charles Curtis, John N. Garner, Henry A. Wallace, Barkley, Alben W., Hubert M. Humphrey, Spiro T. Agnew, Nelson Rockefeller, Walter F. Mondale, Dan Quayle, Albert Gore, and Richard Cheney have most specifically in common?

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

all of them were elected vice president, which Palin never will be?

Awww, sorry, I guess the question was simply too difficult for you to fully comprehend, most notably the "most specifically in common" part.

For example, they are all male as well, something else Caribou Boobie might never be, but that's not the one correct answer either.

Looks like your fifteen minutes of cuteness are up, dear.

But, HEY, thanks for playing!

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
btw Eagleburger fits the bill of non-partisan:

Starting in 1969, he served in the Nixon administration as an assistant to National Security Advisor Henry Kissinger. He stayed in this appointment until 1971; thereafter he took on several positions, including advisor to the US Mission to North Atlantic Treaty Organization in Brussels, and, following Kissinger's appointment as Secretary of State, a number of additional posts in the State Department.

Following Nixon's resignation, he briefly left government service, but was soon appointed as ambassador to Yugoslavia by President Jimmy Carter, a post he held from 1977 to 1980.

In 1982, Reagan appointed him as Undersecretary of State for Political Affairs (the State Department's third-ranking position), a position he held for several years. In 1989, President George H.W. Bush appointed him Deputy Secretary of State (the Department's second-ranking position); he also served as the President's primary advisor for affairs relating to the quickly disintegrating Yugoslavia. On August 23, 1992, James A. Baker resigned as Secretary of State (to head up Bush's unsuccessful re-election campaign), and Eagleburger served as Acting Secretary of State until Bush gave him a recess appointment for the remainder of his administration.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: cubby1223

What do Aaron Burr, George Clinton, Elbridge Gerry, Daniel D. Tompkins, John C. Calhoun, Richard M. Johnson, John Tyler, George M. Dallas, William R. King, John C. Breckinridge, Hannibal Hamlin, Schuyler Colfax, Henry Wilson, William A. Wheeler, Thomas A. Hendricks, Levi P. Morton, Adlai E. Stevenson, Garret A. Hobart, Charles W. Fairbanks, James S. Sherman, Thomas R. Marshall, Charles G. Dawes, Charles Curtis, John N. Garner, Henry A. Wallace, Barkley, Alben W., Hubert M. Humphrey, Spiro T. Agnew, Nelson Rockefeller, Walter F. Mondale, Dan Quayle, Albert Gore, and Richard Cheney have most specifically in common?

^^^^^^ Look! The tard thinks he made a devasting point of some sort.

Don't hurt his feelings, folks, or he's liable to pee himself in shame and dull-witted frustration on his short bus ride home.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: rasczak

each had succeeded to the presidency. not by vote but by either death of the president or impeachment (as with President Ford's case)

Wait! Are you saying that there's potentially and importantly MORE to the office of Vice Presidency than cutting ribbons and casting a vote in the senate every 2-3 years?

DING DING DING!

We have a winner!!!! :laugh:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

Don't hurt his feelings, folks, or he's liable to pee himself in shame and dull-witted frustration on his short bus ride home.

are you on the rag or something? you're really being a righteous dickbag in this thread.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

are you on the rag or something? you're really being a righteous dickbag in this thread.

Vic warned you that always playing the devil's advocate could get you pegged as the devil. You might, once in a while, attempt to post something serious and sincere. Take it from a professional gad fly, expect a swat on a regular basis.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
So you need to meet someone to know if they're qualified? Sure, if you say so. How many of the people that you voted for, have you met?

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Originally posted by: cubby1223

^^^^^^ Look! The tard thinks he made a devasting point of some sort.

Nope.

I don't think I made any kind of devastating point. This is an internet forum, a cesspool where stupidity is king, and nothing ever changes anyone's opinions. :D

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Warning: Straight Talk Ahead!

:laugh:

McCain is getting owned on all fronts today.

In a week when every news cycle is precious, he's getting the butt end of every one.