Former Russian Spy and his daughter poisoned in Salisburygrad

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Sergei Skripal, a former Russian spy who is believed to be a contact of Christopher Steele, and his daughter Yulia were poisoned with a nerve agent this week, and a police officer has also fallen into critical condition after administering a first response. All 3 are currently in comas. This comes 1 year after Sergeis son died on a trip to St. Petersburg, with conflicting reports on his cause of death, and 2 years after Sergeis brother, Valery Skripal, a career VDV soldier, died after an illness which caused massive weightloss. Sergeis wife also died of cancer in 2012, although that may or may not be related. A current rumor is that Sergei and Yulia were poisoned after opening a present in a restaurant that Yulia had that was thought to be from friends. Apparently Sergei Skripal was actually not quite entirely retired, and is believed to have been in regular contact with both Christopher Steele and the Russian Embassy in London.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/07/world/europe/russia-spy-nerve-agent.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...revenge-for-treason-lie-behind-harm-to-ex-spy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5468291/Mysterious-deaths-Sergei-Skripals-wife-son.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5473953/Exclusive-pictures-Salisbury-Russian-spy-family.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-officer-spy-poison-nerve-agent-a8244926.html

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/57506...ipal-yulia-salisbury-latest-nerve-agent-gift/

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...d-at-pub-restaurant-or-railway-club-t80jfbjxm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...n-spy-sergei-skripal-close-consultant-linked/

Edit: The poisoning took place in Salisbury, not London. However it seems I am not able to change the title, so if a mod sees this, it would be nice if it was changed. Thankyou.

Done.

AT Moderator ElFenix

Last edited by a moderator:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I sure Trump will be quick to enact sanctions. After all didn't we do that when KJU killed his brother?

Oh that's right, what was I thinking.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
This is so fcked up ... Like something NK would do. Russia is a rouge state.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
Putin does not like traitors.

I don't blame him. In a sane world, or in a sane country, people like Paul Manafort and Michael Flynn would be poisoned into comas too. Instead, they are drinking starbucks watching morning Joe in their mansions while the country falls apart due to their actions. All because the US has a joke of a legal system and an even bigger joke of an intelligence apparatus.

Russia doesn't kid around.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

I don't blame him. In a sane world, or in a sane country, people like Paul Manafort and Michael Flynn would be poisoned into comas too. Instead, they are drinking starbucks watching morning Joe in their mansions while the country falls apart due to their actions. All because the US has a joke of a legal system and an even bigger joke of an intelligence apparatus.

Our current POTUS appears to be a traitor. If Mueller finds guilt care to recommend a few remedies? Maybe take clues from Italy?

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
Our current POTUS appears to be a traitor. If Mueller finds guilt care to recommend a few remedies? Maybe take clues from Italy?

The first step to holding him accountable is holding his traitorous cronies accountable. It's also much easier and more straightforward legally.

If Robert Mueller can't impose serious legal consequences (as in, long term prison or death) on somebody like Michael Flynn you can just forget about Trump facing any consequences for his actions. It will never happen.

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
Last edited:

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
Actually it's probably a bit unfair that everyone is pointing the almighty finger of blame at the russians. I am sure the average street thug in the UK has access to an exotic nerve agent as well as the expertise to deploy it without killing themselves.

Reactions: norseamd

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
I also wonder if the use of an exotic nerve agent is meant as a big fuck you to the british government from the russians. Surely there are far less dramatic ways to murder someone. I also wonder if it's the SVR showcasing some of their capabilities.

"We can kill people (unfortunately I assume all three of them are going to die) in the middle of a western democracy with a nerve agent and get away with it" Commence the raising of putins middle finger.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I also wonder if the use of an exotic nerve agent is meant as a big fuck you to the british government from the russians. Surely there are far less dramatic ways to murder someone. I also wonder if it's the SVR showcasing some of their capabilities.

"We can kill people (unfortunately I assume all three of them are going to die) in the middle of a western democracy with a nerve agent and get away with it" Commence the raising of putins middle finger.
Don't expect to hear anything from President Dummy. He'll treat this like terrorism committed by white people, with silence.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Looks like the SVR used a nerve agent.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-08/why-nerve-agents-are-used-in-assassinations/9526614

Don't worry though the russians are our friends and not a threat to anyones national security.

This is what happens when you fuck with vlad the impalers russia. He must be rolling around on the floor laughing his arse of when he thinks about how he is manipulating trump into doing his bidding.

I would be willing to bet that American spies have done some pretty fucked up shit that nobody is aware of. I have no illusions about the "clean hands" of our intelligence own agencies.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

I suspect it's more that Putin doesn't like anyone who threatens his personal wealth and power.

The Russian situation is just beyond depressing. On the one hand are those in the West who find Russia a convenient bogeyman on which to blame everything that isn't working in the Western system. Despite the fact that Russia is not remotely, anywhere near, as powerful as the old USSR was, somehow it's magically become all-powerful in its ability to manipulate us all. How come 'the West' has lost all self-confidence in the face of a much weaker opponent than the Soviets? They seem to be pushing at an open door these days.

On the other hand, Putin is indeed a gangster (say what you like about Soviet Communism, but hey, they had some _ideals_ beyond self enrichment), and possibly is the harbinger of a new gangster world order.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I mean this, like the polonium poisoning, are clearly meant to let everyone know the Russian government did it while still allowing them to pull the 'who, me?' routine.

Reactions: Meghan54 and urvile

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
I suspect it's more that Putin doesn't like anyone who threatens his personal wealth and power.

The Russian situation is just beyond depressing. On the one hand are those in the West who find Russia a convenient bogeyman on which to blame everything that isn't working in the Western system. Despite the fact that Russia is not remotely, anywhere near, as powerful as the old USSR was, somehow it's magically become all-powerful in its ability to manipulate us all. How come 'the West' has lost all self-confidence in the face of a much weaker opponent than the Soviets? They seem to be pushing at an open door these days.

On the other hand, Putin is indeed a gangster (say what you like about Soviet Communism, but hey, they had some _ideals_ beyond self enrichment), and possibly is the harbinger of a new gangster world order.

"The Russia Situation" is relatively unchanged for what, 300 years? It has always been this way. Since Peter the Great, who tortured his own son to death for being a traitor, Russia has been ruled by Tyrants.

Putin is just another Tryant/warlord to rule over Russia. He is not even close to the worst one. Sure, he is criminal, but it could be way worse.

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
If steele really was in contact with Sergei Skripal seems it puts a damper on the rights talking point that steele conspired with the russian government.

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
I would be willing to bet that American spies have done some pretty fucked up shit that nobody is aware of. I have no illusions about the "clean hands" of our intelligence own agencies.

True. All nation states need the capability to kill their enemies. The russians do it with a particularly blunt style though. Which in this case includes a gigantic middle finger to the british.

It is also a little disconcerting that the SVR/GRU/Spetsnaz can effectively mount operations in foreign countries. That involve killing people with nerve agents at will.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
"The Russia Situation" is relatively unchanged for what, 300 years? It has always been this way. Since Peter the Great, who tortured his own son to death for being a traitor, Russia has been ruled by Tyrants.

Putin is just another Tryant/warlord to rule over Russia. He is not even close to the worst one. Sure, he is criminal, but it could be way worse.

Firstly, I don't _entirely_ agree. There was a window of opportunity when things just possibly could have gone a bit differently, during the Gorbachev era. Seems to me the West completely wasted that chance, happily undermining whatever hope there was.

More to the point, by 'The Russia situation' I don't mean so much the internal state of Russia, as how it relates to the rest of the world and the degree of power that country seems to have to mess with everyone. Back in the old days if you met someone defending or cheering for the Kremlin, you knew what you were dealing with. A communist, whose allegiances were based on an ideology (though there was a distinction between full 'tankies' and Eurocoms and Trotskyists). These days, Putin-apologists and agents-of-influence pop up all over the map, both geographical and political, and I usually have trouble figuring out who they are and what they are up to.

Oh, and I fear Putinism (if not Putin) might be the future for many other countries. Turkey, Poland, Hungary, and of course the current occupant of the Whitehouse is like Putinism repeating itself as farce. China clearly took a look at where democracy got Russia and decided to go capitalist economically while sticking with the politics of actual-existing communism.

Everything's looking a bit 1930s to me.

Last edited:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
It is also a little disconcerting that the SVR/GRU/Spetsnaz can effectively mount operations in foreign countries. That involve killing people with nerve agents at will.

I can't imagine that it's that difficult when you have access to diplomatic bags to get things into the country and embassies to hide in.

Reactions: Meghan54

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Lots of Russian political elite keeps families, money, and assets, in the UK. Would be sad if anything happened to them.

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
I can't imagine that it's that difficult when you have access to diplomatic bags to get things into the country and embassies to hide in.

Yep. It's the fact that they won't get caught that's disconcerting. Especially when you consider the heightened level of security due to the current terrorist threat in the UK.

Using a nerve agent is so typically russian. Apparently this what they did when russians were taken hostage in lebanon during the 1980s.

"The Jerusalem Post said the Soviet secret police last year secured the release of three kidnaped Soviet diplomats in Beirut by castrating a relative of a radical Lebanese Shia Muslim leader, sending him the severed organs and then shooting the relative in the head."

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-01-07/news/mn-13892_1_soviets

So typically russian. :)