Former Marine brings pocket-knife to gunfight...

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: LoKe
That brings up an interesting point. You're more likely to get attention yelling "fire!" than anything else, whether it be robbery, rape, etc.

Thats because fire is just as much of a threat to the person who hears it as the person in trouble, where as robbery is only a threat to the victim and not the people listening. Also many people are reluctant to get invloved in a robbery out of fear for their own safety, for that reason they will often pass up on helping.

LukeMan

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2005
update the post.

New Update on the Ex-Marine Stick-Up

Early police reports said Martin was pregnant but the autopsy concluded otherwise, the medical examiner's office said.

Autry sighed with relief after learning the teenager was not pregnant. "That really makes me feel a whole lot better that she wasn't with child," he said. "I'm sorry to her family. "I just feel real bad at the situation."
also read this 1, has some images of a couple of the assailants

J0hnny

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2002
Originally posted by: LukeMan
update the post.

New Update on the Ex-Marine Stick-Up

Early police reports said Martin was pregnant but the autopsy concluded otherwise, the medical examiner's office said.

Autry sighed with relief after learning the teenager was not pregnant. "That really makes me feel a whole lot better that she wasn't with child," he said. "I'm sorry to her family. "I just feel real bad at the situation."
also read this 1, has some images of a couple of the assailants

Thanks for the update.

AJC requires a registration...

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Lesson for today's young punks and punks wannabees: if you want to rob someone, be prepare for the consequences.

newParadigm

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2003
Originally posted by: everman
You always hear the jokes about Maries kicking ass without as much as a pocket knife or bare hands. booyah...er no that's not it...

Youd be going for HooRa!!

P0pinjay

Feb 6, 2005
Hey guys,
This happened right outside my house here in Atl. The scary part was that a friend of mine had left the house 1 hour before this happened. It could just as easily have been him getting robbed. A few other behind the scenes things:

The marine dude was an acquaitance of my roomate's. He told us that the two guys with guns had trouble getting them out or off and that's when the girl jumped on him, hitting him in the face. I guess he had the knife out by that point and he said he just started stabbing her. By that point she screamed and he ran up to our neighbors house yelling Help! When that didn't draw much attention he switched to yelling Fire and started banging on the neighbor's door. That is when my roomate heard all the commotion and went out on the porch. He said he saw what he thought was a dark Lincoln sedan speed off to the left. He saw the guy banging on the door and told him he was calling 911. It took them AT LEAST 12 minutes to respond to the scene. It was probably more like 15 minutes. Not to mention he called 3 different times. My roomate has the phone records to prove it. By this point Autry was on the phone with his g/f telling her to come pick him up. She came and he got in the car and they drove about a block away. A few minutes later the first cop showed up. It's not like the area is lightly patrolled either. I see cops down there all the time. I know that the neighborhood is kind of a buffer zone between the good and bad parts of town, but damn, the robbers were only kids. It's not like they were hardened criminals, they just needed a good older brother to give them an a$$-whooping here and there.

Finalnight

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2003
Originally posted by: Queasy
Autry managed to kick the shotgun from the man's hands and stabbed the woman in the chest, fatally wounding her. In the melee, Autry also stabbed one of the male suspects.
[/quote]

God Street Fighter FTW!

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
While I have to admire the ass kicking, I'm not sure about the Marine's decision making skills. Getting in a life and death fight with more numerous and better armed attackers over the contents of your wallet is pretty stupid. While it may sound cool and macho, getting killed over the $37 in your wallet isn't really all that heroic. There is nothing wrong with fighting when you have to, but I'm not sure this situation qualified as "having to".

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Rainsford
While I have to admire the ass kicking, I'm not sure about the Marine's decision making skills. Getting in a life and death fight with more numerous and better armed attackers over the contents of your wallet is pretty stupid. While it may sound cool and macho, getting killed over the $37 in your wallet isn't really all that heroic. There is nothing wrong with fighting when you have to, but I'm not sure this situation qualified as "having to".

They are pointing a gun at you. Just because you give your wallet to them doesn't mean you are going to live. This was fight or flight. He chose to fight.

Me? I would have thrown my wallet up in the air and ran screaming like a little girl. But then again... I'm not a marine.

VanTheMan

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2000

If you read his statement, he does say that they cornered him after he tried running away from them.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004

Being that he's a waiter, he probably had a bit more then $37 in cash on hand. I know some waitstaff who earn upwards of $250 a shift (and not the kind of waitstaff who work in adults-only places, just normal resturants.)

As for the ass-kicking, mad props to the marine. Those kids look like your typical gang-banging thug N-words. Hopefully, they get put away for about 10 years, less criminal trash on the streets.

appleguru

Sep 27, 2005
That's kickass. Props to the marine for kicking ass when he had to.. and thank god for his good luck. And I don't give a fvck how old there were or if the girl was 2 weeks pregnant not.. Justice was served... i just hope the surviving robbers get what they deserve too.