Former federal prosecutor decries William Ayers link

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
I think the guy's letter is meaningless.

We are not connecting Obama to Ayers terrorist acts.

We are asking why Obama choose to associate himself with a know terrorist.

BTW the guy is an Obama supporter who gave Obama's campaign money. Sort of makes him a biased source.

Yeah, he's kind of like Gordon Liddy and Charles Keating. Oh wait, that's supposed to be different somehow...

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

BTW the guy is an Obama supporter who gave Obama's campaign money. Sort of makes him a biased source.

Please stop with the pansy-ass "question" approach to making a political point. You obviously are trying to make a specific point here, you're NOT just asking...so why don't you actually try to make the argument?

Of course you won't, none of you will, because it would sound completely retarded if you said it out loud...that's why you have to try to make your point by essentially asking vague questions while talking in a scary sounding voice, and hoping people come to the conclusion you want them to. Obama is a bad guy because some guy he doesn't know very well did bad things several decades ago? How does that NOT sound idiotic to you?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

Shouldn't that be "alleged terrorist?"
I haven't seen anything that shows that Ayers was actually CONVICTED of any terrorist acts...
His membership in the Weather Underground, while perhaps despicable, isn't by itself illegal, anymore so than being a member of the Alaska Freedom Party, the group who pushes for Alaskan secession from the USA...NOTHING illegal about membership...only in the acts committed. Has Ayers been CONVICTED of any terrorist crime? If so, please provide links. (I haven't followed the actions of the Weathermen in over 30 years...AFAIK, they've all become well-respected meteorologists...:p

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Shouldn't that be "alleged terrorist?"
I haven't seen anything that shows that Ayers was actually CONVICTED of any terrorist acts...
His membership in the Weather Underground, while perhaps despicable, isn't by itself illegal, anymore so than being a member of the Alaska Freedom Party, the group who pushes for Alaskan secession from the USA...NOTHING illegal about membership...only in the acts committed. Has Ayers been CONVICTED of any terrorist crime? If so, please provide links. (I haven't followed the actions of the Weathermen in over 30 years...AFAIK, they've all become well-respected meteorologists...:p
No need to bother with "alleged". Mr. Ayers has been quite forthcoming in admitting participation in the Weather Underground bombing campaign. You shouldn't have to work too hard to find his admissions yourself, if you want -
even W knows how to use "the Google".

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY

You people are hilarious in your continued apologism for BHO's many questionable associations.

Nope. It's pathetic, no nothing whiners like you who keep bleating the same lies, time and again, even after they're refuted. :thumbsdown:

Are you old enough to remember the people and events Mr. Ibershof is talking about? I am. The case against Ayres was dismissed because of misconduct by the executive branch, including wire taps and espionage techniques against American citizens?

Sound familar? :Q

It was the previously worst President in American history, Richard M. Nixon. He was as evil as W and a hell of a lot smarter, but your Traitor In Chief did far more damage. :(

You are welcome to your own uninformed opinion, but Mr. Ibershof knows far more than you about Ayres than you ever will. Who the holier than fsck are you to dispute his opinions without a shred of evidence, whatsoever to contradict what he wrote? :roll:

Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Originally posted by: Dari

Why don't you put some of your anger to good use and go blow the wind turbines.

:laugh:

:laugh:

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
lol, so the guy who's agency couldn't put an unrepentant terrorist in jail is whining about the link?
Ayer's has expressed regret for his past acts, and has led an exemplary life for the last several decades.

Please explain to us what a "repentant" terrorist would act like?

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005

Correction: Obama associated with a long-past ex-terrorist.

Are you saying that if someone commits bad acts, they should be shunned forever, regardless of their contrition, regardless of how many years have passed, and regardless of how exemplary their life has become?

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

I think...

That was your first lie.

... the guy's letter is meaningless.

That was your second lie.

That was your third lie.

That's a dumb question that you keep repeating, even though it's been thoroughly researched answered, or haven't you figured out how to use Teh Google yet? :p

At this point, unless you have hard evidence in your hands to the contrary, you're asking for non-existent evidence of non-existent events and relationships.

This is SO unlike you, PJ. I know you've got better lies, diversions and distractions than this stale turd. :laugh:

All $200 of it, and he's a Democrat. Go figure. :roll:

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007

and saying Barack "Hussein" Obama at every opportunity is not a poor attempt at psychologically connecting him to Saddam Hussein, Iraq, and Muslims.

Look up "priming" from some cognitive psychology texts.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: shira

Correction: Obama associated with a long-past ex-terrorist.

Are you saying that if someone commits bad acts, they should be shunned forever, regardless of their contrition, regardless of how many years have passed, and regardless of how exemplary their life has become?
Ayers served on a board that was formed by Annenberg a Reagan friend and a rather elite Republican back in the time.

Maybe your questions actually should be, why did Annenberg a republican and good friend of reagan, feel it was OK to have Ayers an unrepentent terrorist, on his education board?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
We just had a thread on why McCain choose to buddy up with a G. Gordon Liddy. Or a Keating, or a GWB, and a long list of religious right turds and a longer list of people who try to subvert the constitution.

Politics make for strange bedfellows, and we should try to separate the candidate from the circumstances. All of these are side issues, we are talking about the what the candidate is likely to do in the future, not what some set of people did a long long time ago. If all of us agreed 100% with each other, banded together, and killed those who did not agree with us, the human population of the planet earth would be capped at a maximum of one.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
[No need to bother with "alleged". Mr. Ayers has been quite forthcoming in admitting participation in the Weather Underground bombing campaign. You shouldn't have to work too hard to find his admissions yourself, if you want -
even W knows how to use "the Google".

Oh no...not teh google...

I am aware of who Ayers is...faintly...Regardless of his claims or "admissions," if there's no conviction, it's all "alleged."

IF he is as guilty of the crimes he's accused of committing, and apparently of admitting to, why hasn't the US Government prosecuted him?

Hell, they recently prosecuted another "Domestic Terrorist" from 30 or so years ago...don't remember her name...Sarah Jane Olson maybe?

I don't believe the guys hands are completely clean, but there's no PROOF of his guilt, no CONVICTION on any charges...

ohnoes

Oct 11, 2007

why did mccain sponsor an amendment with byrd?

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
lol, so the guy who's agency couldn't put an unrepentant terrorist in jail is whining about the link? Boo f'n hoo.

It doesn't matter a bit that Ayers has been praised by the liberal freaks in Chicago - he's still an unrepentant terrorist. Anyone with two functioning brain cells would know to not have such close associations with his type. But I guess if it's OK for the chicago liberal political machine....it must be ok with the rest of the nation...:roll:

You people are hilarious in your continued apologism for BHO's many questionable associations. Do you people not see how that could be cause for concern that a candidate has had to repeatedly denouce/renounce people once they were made known?

You voted for Bush twice.. shows that even good people make mistakes..

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Who here isn't surprised that:

1.) CAD showed up to foam about Ayers some more.
2.) It appears that CAD didn't read the guy's letter where he states that not putting Ayers in jail was due to misconduct by the AG's office, not his own.

He has become a loony joke :-(

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Originally posted by: BoomerD
I am aware of who Ayers is...faintly...Regardless of his claims or "admissions," if there's no conviction, it's all "alleged."
IF he is as guilty of the crimes he's accused of committing, and apparently of admitting to, why hasn't the US Government prosecuted him?
Hell, they recently prosecuted another "Domestic Terrorist" from 30 or so years ago...don't remember her name...Sarah Jane Olson maybe?
I don't believe the guys hands are completely clean, but there's no PROOF of his guilt, no CONVICTION on any charges...

Clue: William Ayers wrote a book: Fugitive Days: A Memoir. He admits he was part of the Weather Underground bombing campaign.

The reason he hasn't been prosecuted is that the Nixon administration so thoroughly corrupted the investigation with illegal actions that none of the evidence they developed could possibly be used against him, and all charges were dismissed.

He is not a convicted felon, but your insistence on the continued use of "alleged" is either incredibly naive, woefully ignorant, or entirely disingenuous.

SecPro

Jul 17, 2007

They don't now, nor will they ever, get it PJ. The Messiah has given them a half baked explanation and they have swallowed it. Ayers, Rezko, Wright, drug use, etc. are non issues because their messiah has told them so. If the roles were reversed . . . .

A perfect example. For years, especially during his first term, GWB was constantly referred to as a former cocaine user and drunk. He has admitted to both. The media, blogs, message boards, etc. made a huge issue of it (some still do). O-blah-blah has also admitted a pretty serious drug abuse problem in college. What's the reaction to that? Well he said it's OK so that's all his cult needs to know.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Nice set of distortions, PJ, again. The GOP's talking points on Ayers are getting truely boring to anyone who is not 101% GOP committed already.

I've personally known a few federal prosecutors in my time and all have been top notch intellects, very capable lawyers and dedicated US citizens. For a former prosecutor to weigh in on this issue is remarkable, and this one did so in a thoughtful, analytical way in order to set the factual record straight.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Look guys, if you have to sit on a board with a guy who did some bad shit 30 years ago in order to fight poverty, instead of having to associate with him you should just not fight poverty at all. If you and Hitler teamed up to cure cancer and AIDS all at the same time, it would still be a bad thing because you cured it with Hitler.