Former Enron CEO Jeffrey Skilling Released From Jail

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I'm surprised he spent that much time in jail. We rarely punish financial crime like that.

My feels say life in jail would be ok.

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Nov 8, 2012
Bankers never go to jail. Ask Lehman Bros about that.

I'm surprised he spent that much time in jail. We rarely punish financial crime like that.

My feels say life in jail would be ok.

Bernie Madoff was sentenced to 150 years - and I would argue that the Enron situation was far worse

On June 29, 2009, Judge Chin sentenced Madoff to the maximum sentence of 150 years in federal prison.[23][119] Madoff's lawyers initially asked the judge to impose a sentence of 7 years, and later requested that the sentence be 12 years, because of Madoff's advanced age of 71 and his limited life expectancy.[120][121]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Madoff#Plea,_sentencing,_and_prison_life

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
He should have served about 13 more years. He financially ruined many people for his own gain.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
After looking into it, it looks like they confiscated $45 million dollars out of $55 million. From white I can tell, he now has a net worth of about $2 million. While I'm okay with him being done after 13 years in prison, he shouldn't have been released as a millionaire.

Nov 8, 2012
After looking into it, it looks like they confiscated $45 million dollars out of $55 million. From white I can tell, he now has a net worth of about $2 million. While I'm okay with him being done after 13 years in prison, he shouldn't have been released as a millionaire.

Aren't there laws about what can and can't be touched? E.g. If you're in debt, they can never touch something like a qualified 401k since they are considered protected assets.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Aren't there laws about what can and can't be touched? E.g. If you're in debt, they can never touch something like a qualified 401k since they are considered protected assets.
There might be, and there are likely aspects of this issue I haven't considered, but for these types of situations, it seems like assets should be used to pay off all debts and the rest should be seized and used to make reparations to the victims.. The only exception I can think of would be if there are dependents, but his kids are all grown.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I think the engine room on your tug boat needs better ventilation.

I never said "punishing them is cruel". 13 years behind bars is an incredibly harsh punishment, but because of the society we live in, it can never be harsh enough. If we pulled out his fingernails people would complain that we didn't do his toenails too.
Fuck that, this guy deserved the needle more than the vast majority of people on death row. How many tens of thousands of people did this POS personally ruin the lives of? People who went from having a comfortable retirement to having nothing. How about people that died from heat stroke during his manufactured rolling blackouts.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Skilling and Lay were responding to the rewards and incentives of capitalism. By crucifying the two individual actors, you can comfortably ignore that the insanely pathological economic system we use produces scammers, grifters, cheaters, liars, etc. by the boatload.
A big reason for that is because we never effectively punish the scammers, grifters, cheaters, liars, etc.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Madoff was sentenced to that many years because he ripped off rich people. Now if he had only ripped off the plebs he would probably have only gotten a 6-month sentence.

Actually Jewish charities accounted for a large percentage of his victims and total assets stolen. Meaning the money wasn't earmarked for the rich.