Fork accident

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..so how many of you's guys paid to have that done along wit your ear rings..nose bolts and neck tat's?? I see a new trend comming.

SludgeFactory

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Mallarddrake44
looks like they would have to remove it without putting him to sleep which probably hurt extremely bad seeing as the fork is covering the mouth so he cant be tubbed and local anesthesia wouldnt really work well on the nose you wouldnt think...hmm
It works, but getting a shot of local in the nose hurts like hell. Although maybe not so much once you have 3 tines of a fork already jammed through it.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
As has already been said, the fork's already in there. Nothing's gonna hurt more than that. Hold the kid down, hold his nose with one hand and pull the fork out w/the other.

My son did a Superman off the couch when he was 4. He cracked the back of his head open on the brick fireplace mantle.

You can't suture (stitch) the scalp b/c the skin's too thin. They had to put staples (7 of them) in his head.

It was the hardest thing I ever had to do. Hold him down on the gurney while they irrigated the wound to prevent infection, then hold him down while they stapled his head closed.

No shots, no drugs, no nothing. The kid squealed like a stuck pig. :( I felt like total shit. But I knew it was for his own good.

He's now almost 12 years old and he remembers that night clear as a bell. He's never done anything like that since.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
You can't suture (stitch) the scalp b/c the skin's too thin.

Really? Maybe in the back of the head, or on a kid's head. I won't argue that the doctor told you stitched weren't an option, but since I've head 4 stitches in the top of my head, I might argue your statement that you can't suture the scalp.

Mine was from standing up underneath an I-beam that was ~1" shorter off the floor than I am tall.......I stood up, it rang my bell, and sat me right back down again! You ever see the cartoons, when the coyote (or whoever) gets whacked really hard on the head, and the stars & birdies go round his head? Yeah, that happens in real life too, if you hit your head hard enough!! I put my head up to my head, and when I pulled it down again, it was covered in blood. 4 stitches later, and I killed the pain for the rest of the night with my favorite liquid pain killer! :laugh:

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
He's Russian and he's wearing a Minnesota Twins shirt? Cool kid.

And I think that's gonna be a cool scar.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: marvdmartian

Really? Maybe in the back of the head, or on a kid's head. I won't argue that the doctor told you stitched weren't an option, but since I've head 4 stitches in the top of my head, I might argue your statement that you can't suture the scalp.

Mine was from standing up underneath an I-beam that was ~1" shorter off the floor than I am tall.......I stood up, it rang my bell, and sat me right back down again! You ever see the cartoons, when the coyote (or whoever) gets whacked really hard on the head, and the stars & birdies go round his head? Yeah, that happens in real life too, if you hit your head hard enough!! I put my head up to my head, and when I pulled it down again, it was covered in blood. 4 stitches later, and I killed the pain for the rest of the night with my favorite liquid pain killer! :laugh:

I concur. I fell backwards off a bed onto a tricycle when I was 4. I needed 3 stitches in the top/back of my head. I remember it clear as day. My dad went in with me, I lied down on my front and the doctor said I was going to feel three pricks. I just layed there and remember that it didn't hurt one bit. The doctor told my dad he was absolutely amazed that a 4 year old could take three stitches to the scalp without any freezing and not bat an eye.

My younger brother on the other hand split his lip open BAD when he was about 3. There was a huge chunk of lip hanging on his chin and a ton of blood all over him. He needed 10 stitches I think to repair that. It took my dad (6'5" 220 lbs), 2 nurses, an orderly and a whole ton of velcro straps to keep him still enough for the doctor to work.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: mugs
The second pic wac the opposite of what I was expecting after seeing the first pic. :Q

Me too... LOL..

:Q

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: silverpig
Originally posted by: marvdmartian

I concur. I fell backwards off a bed onto a tricycle when I was 4. I needed 3 stitches in the top/back of my head. I remember it clear as day. My dad went in with me, I lied down on my front and the doctor said I was going to feel three pricks. I just layed there and remember that it didn't hurt one bit. The doctor told my dad he was absolutely amazed that a 4 year old could take three stitches to the scalp without any freezing and not bat an eye.

My younger brother on the other hand split his lip open BAD when he was about 3. There was a huge chunk of lip hanging on his chin and a ton of blood all over him. He needed 10 stitches I think to repair that. It took my dad (6'5" 220 lbs), 2 nurses, an orderly and a whole ton of velcro straps to keep him still enough for the doctor to work.

Well in your brother's defense, there are MANY MANY more nerve endings in your lips/face than in your scalp.