Forgot Standoffs, mobo fried?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
How anyone "forgets" to use the stand offs is beyond me. I mean they're right there in the bag! Didn't you ever question why you had extra parts?

This is a relatively common phenomenon known as a "mistake". Also known as human error.

freeskier93

Apr 17, 2015
How anyone "forgets" to use the stand offs is beyond me. I mean they're right there in the bag! Didn't you ever question why you had extra parts?

Lots of newer cases have standoffs/risers stamped into the case sheet metal. Neither my NZXT S340 or cheap Thermaltake case use separate standoffs.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Lots of newer cases have standoffs/risers stamped into the case sheet metal. Neither my NZXT S340 or cheap Thermaltake case use separate standoffs.

I've even run into cases, with smaller stamped risers, that still needed standoffs on top of them.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
I'm old enough to remember when not only did you have to insert the standoffs in the right holes in the case (pre-ATX days), but if you didn't add the little paper washers to them as well before screwing the mobo down, you'd fry the thing. Never did it, but knew guys who had. The word went around quickly in our computer club, so soon it became common knowledge. Now I use Antec cases, all of which come with a bunch of extra stuff, standoffs included. Good luck to the OP.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Corsair 380T mobo tray:

w2f7f6.jpg

Pretty sure forgetting standoffs wasn't the issue.

tamm

Dec 13, 2013
I was intrigued with the particular case, and it seems all the reviews are stating "integrated standoffs" So either the review samples are different from retail, ops standoffs were leftoff, or standoffs are not a problem. Probs need an RMA for a DOA board

redzo

Nov 21, 2007
This is a relatively common phenomenon known as a "mistake". Also known as human error.
Here I am. My first rigg. "Forgot" to put the damn motherboard standoffs on. There was no "forgot", not exactly. Pardon me, but there was no mention of that freaking things(standoffs) in that freaking antique socket A's user's manual. That was it. As simple as that.
Eventually I've figured it out by starring at the the damn thing like watching Stanley Kubrick's Odyssey for a the most painful hours('68 movie included). 56k modem was the holly grail of internet. Nothing got fried in my case. It was plain luck and not ashamed to admit it.

Last edited:

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
Eventually you will get experience and you will be able to assemble pcs blindfolded. :)

Back it the days motherboards had no i/o and lots of dipswitches and jumpers to work with. And every board had dipswitches and jumpers to work with. And harddrrives had jumpers to work with.

But cases had a cool turbo button and mhz led readout. ��

The. The fun begins dealing with IRQs and memory allocation etc..