Forget John Romero - XBox360 and PS3 ARE *Doomed*

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: apoppin
well Spider Man 3 PC was released - 3 days ago - for $9.95 on sale ... regularly $19.95 ... and it is getting decent reviews
:Q

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/spiderman3

the *same* game for xbox360 is SIXTY dollars ... same store ... circuit city
:shocked:

you platform guys are getting *so screwed* by your game's prices :p

if there are any left, i am picking one up ... thank heavens i have a controller
:D

Thats because a game like Spiderman 3 would never sell well for more than $20 on the PC. Where alot of ppl(mostly kids parents) will give $60 for it for console. Its safe to say Xbox 360 is and will be ok for the next 3-4 years(rest of its lifespan). PS3 is still questionable though since it just came out 6 months ago and isn't doing so hot.

Nightmare225

Golden Member
May 20, 2006
Originally posted by: Sniper82
well Spider Man 3 PC was released - 3 days ago - for $9.95 on sale ... regularly $19.95 ... and it is getting decent reviews

if there are any left, i am picking one up ... thank heavens i have a controller

Thats because a game like Spiderman 3 would never sell well for more than $20 on the PC.

That has no affect on the fact that its 1/6th the price with multi controller support...

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
They arent changing the clockspeed or performance of either box... its revisions to reduce cost, and heat.

This has happened in every console since 8 bit nintendo. (probably before that too)

Nothing to see here.

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
OMGWTFBBQS the sky is falling!! MUst sell current xbox/ps3!!! Future versions will come with faster procs, will run cooler, will type essays for you, and will replace your pc!!

C'mon... be realistic people, none of the consoles are doomed. They may not do as well as expected, but they'll be around for a LONG time!

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

Thats because a game like Spiderman 3 would never sell well for more than $20 on the PC. Where alot of ppl(mostly kids parents) will give $60 for it for console. Its safe to say Xbox 360 is and will be ok for the next 3-4 years(rest of its lifespan). PS3 is still questionable though since it just came out 6 months ago and isn't doing so hot.
so only stupid people will buy the SpiderMan3 game ? ...
--is that what you are saying? :shocked:

the *same* game on PC costs SIX times more for the PS3 game. :p

hmmmmmmmmmmmm ... i AM beginning to see a pattern emerging

=======================

Originally posted by: ElFenix
... the article continues [if you can stand it ...]

quote:
Xbox
DigiTimes reports that the Xbox 360 will be equipped with the belated 65nm Xenos GPU later this year, with production of the new graphics chips scheduled for May.

For those of you undecided about the Elite, a newer, cooler, and cheaper Xbox 360 Elite should be here in the Autumn, and you should probably hold off until the new units are available. Though knowing which CPU/GPU combination is within your box prior to purchasing it may prove more difficult than your decision to buy one.

Xbox360-II ...
ummm... what? you don't seem to understand the console market. there are always multiple hardware revisions. they're about reducing costs, not adding performance. and nothing here suggests that the CPU/GPU combination will be anything other than a cost cutting measure. iirc, the PS2 went from having separate EE and GS to having them integrated in one chip. eventually MS will do the same (45 nm?) in order to make the box cheaper to make.

i'd call *newer and cooler* a real upgrade ;)

and what about that "PS4" ?

An Australian technology website has suggested that a revised Playstation 3 could be less than 18 months away, citing "a Sony insider" as its source. ...
According to the source, it will also include a software suite for managing streaming of content to TVs and hi-fis, and feature improved output.

and 45 games currently for the Wii and 44 more announced
*in contrast* :p

:laugh:

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006

and 45 games currently for the Wii and 44 more announced
*in contrast* :p

:laugh:

over half the 51 released Wii games scored under 70% on metacritic. only four are above 80%.

compared to the PS3 which has only 41 games, of those less than half of them are under 70%. but it has 14 over 80%

quality>quantity

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
sony pays for reviews, i believe ... just like MS Games' viral marketing... even spiderman3 scores well initially
... yet the forum gamers seem to hate it

and i think it's called *choice*
... nintendo is SELLING games

even GoW appears to be a very ordinary game ... if it were PC

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000

No I'm not saying they are. I really don't know where you got that from? It's cheap on PC because it would not sell good at all at $30+ price tag. They figure sell it for $20 and maybe not as many ppl will pirate it. PS3 and Xbox 360 its gonna be harder to pirate the game so they can charge what they want. Then rich little kids that get what they want can have mommy and daddy pick it up for them.

But yeah $60 is a crazy price for this game. I wouldn't give $9.99 let alone $60. Heck I wouldn't play it if someone gave it to me.

PC(Ouch):
http://pc.ign.com/articles/786/786343p3.html

IDK what the problem was with the PC version(bugs maybe?) but the PS3 and 360 got a 6.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
they only pay off the bad games ;)

No I'm not saying they are. I really don't know where you got that from? It's cheap on PC because it would not sell good at all at $30+ price tag. They figure sell it for $20 and maybe not as many ppl will pirate it. PS3 and Xbox 360 its gonna be harder to pirate the game so they can charge what they want. Then rich little kids that get what they want can have mommy and daddy pick it up for them.

But yeah $60 is a crazy price for this game. I wouldn't give $9.99 let alone $60. Heck I wouldn't play it if someone gave it to me.

PC(Ouch):

IDK what the problem was with the PC version(bugs maybe?) but the PS3 and 360 got a 6.

thanks, i wasn't sure

so then, the conclusion is that console gamers will pay $60 for the *same game* a PC gamer would thumb his nose at for half price ...

wait ... that supports the first argument
... about stupidity ... :confused:

or is it tolerance ?

the console gamer tolerates a double priced game because he cannot tolerate 'messing' with it on his PC ?

EDIT:

for the low score,

i think they tried to play the PC version with a KB + Mouse ...
Closing Comments
If you're desperate for a Spider-Man game, Spider-Man 3 will fill your need for webs -- but I urge you to get it on another platform because the PC version is a bust. On other platforms, I was lenient on the game because even though the missions were terrible, the web-swinging was fun. Sadly, that's not the case here. The swinging through the city on the PC is cumbersome and awkward. You'll never feel like you're Spider-Man if your wielding webs with your keyboard.

not gonna happen ... you *gotta* use a controller

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
they only pay off the bad games ;)

PC(Ouch):

thanks, i wasn't sure

so then, the conclusion is that console gamers will pay $60 for the *same game* a PC gamer would thumb his nose at for half price ...

wait ... that supports the first argument
... about stupidity ... :confused:

or is it tolerance ?

the console gamer tolerates a double priced game because he cannot tolerate 'messing' with it on his PC ?

EDIT:

for the low score,

i think they tried to play the PC version with a KB + Mouse ...
Closing Comments
If you're desperate for a Spider-Man game, Spider-Man 3 will fill your need for webs -- but I urge you to get it on another platform because the PC version is a bust. On other platforms, I was lenient on the game because even though the missions were terrible, the web-swinging was fun. Sadly, that's not the case here. The swinging through the city on the PC is cumbersome and awkward. You'll never feel like you're Spider-Man if your wielding webs with your keyboard.

not gonna happen ... you *gotta* use a controller

Most ppl that buy the console version IMO will likely be kids(or their parents) that don't fool with PC gaming much or at all and don't even check scores. Older ppl that just want to try it will likely get it for PC. But then there will be some older gamers who just don't game on PC and will not have any other choice but to buy it on the console. Regardless I'd say most sales will come from big Spiderman fans regardless of which platform its on.

Bob Love

May 9, 2007
There's one thing noone has taken into account so far on this post (I signed up to the forum especially to air my views on this subject and see what everyone has to say) and it is what I believe is the main contributor to consoles success. That is the nature of a pc games versus a console games multiplayer. It is pretty much the case that to a console gamer, playing games with friends involves sitting with them in a room, talking to them, socializing. to a pc gamer it involves using a headset and talking to someone on the other side of the world. now there is the option to do this on consoles too but for most, this takes second place to actually sitting in a room with a few beers and playing a good friend or three at a good game.

so whereas many of the pc owners views on this forum seem to be that if someone plays console games, not pc games, they obviously don't have a clue about hardware etc. this is in many (if not most) cases not the case at all. console gaming is just a different style of gaming with a larger focus on real life socializing and it is a style preferred by many gamers including myself. the focus of gaming should not be graphics, it should be innovation, and fun (i dont actually own a wii by the way, im a ps3 man). a good game will move you emotionally as well. graphics help to achieve very little when these aspects are seen as the main focus of whether a game is good.

all im saying is that even if graphically they do fall behind, graphics are most definately not everything in a gaming experience. it is the social aspect of console gaming, actually being in a room with friends, all looking at the same screen, that is integral to a console gamers experience. also, their is still the ability to play amazing looking games as well as incredible exclusive titles and youve always still got the option of playing single player too. now online play over consoles is all the rage, but i think when it comes down to it, a console gamer would rather kick it old school and hook up four controllers. i know i would.

nullpointerus

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2003
Originally posted by: Bob Love
There's one thing noone has taken into account so far on this post (I signed up to the forum especially to air my views on this subject and see what everyone has to say) and it is what I believe is the main contributor to consoles success. That is the nature of a pc games versus a console games multiplayer. It is pretty much the case that to a console gamer, playing games with friends involves sitting with them in a room, talking to them, socializing. to a pc gamer it involves using a headset and talking to someone on the other side of the world. now there is the option to do this on consoles too but for most, this takes second place to actually sitting in a room with a few beers and playing a good friend or three at a good game.

so whereas many of the pc owners views on this forum seem to be that if someone plays console games, not pc games, they obviously don't have a clue about hardware etc. this is in many (if not most) cases not the case at all. console gaming is just a different style of gaming with a larger focus on real life socializing and it is a style preferred by many gamers including myself. the focus of gaming should not be graphics, it should be innovation, and fun (i dont actually own a wii by the way, im a ps3 man). a good game will move you emotionally as well. graphics help to achieve very little when these aspects are seen as the main focus of whether a game is good.

all im saying is that even if graphically they do fall behind, graphics are most definately not everything in a gaming experience. it is the social aspect of console gaming, actually being in a room with friends, all looking at the same screen, that is integral to a console gamers experience. also, their is still the ability to play amazing looking games as well as incredible exclusive titles and youve always still got the option of playing single player too. now online play over consoles is all the rage, but i think when it comes down to it, a console gamer would rather kick it old school and hook up four controllers. i know i would.

Very good point IMO. :thumbsup:

FWIW, PC gamers do have LAN parties, but, yes, console gaming "culture" is decidedly different.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
What the hell is with the update to this thread? I guess the PS2 failed because they came out with the PS2 Slim that moved all the functionality to a single chip :roll:.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Bob Love

well, welcome to ATF ... and especially Video
:thumbsup:

actually, Matt2 has posted a very similar comment .... way back ... that console gaming is more "social" - by nature - than PC

please don't forget the "social" PC gamers that take their PC to LAN parties and enjoy *exactly* the same experience as console gamers ... having a 5 lb LCD instead of a 60LB CRT monster has streamlined this experience.

and *sorry* Aikouka, but there is no pleasing 'everyone' :p

the "update" was to get the focus OFF John Romero ... ;)
the PS3 evidently it getting a "makeover" - to make it more like the PC
:roll:

the Xbox360 is simply gonna run cooler ... anytime i get PC HW that runs cooler than my old HW, i consider that an 'upgrade'

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

the Xbox360 is simply gonna run cooler ... anytime i get PC HW that runs cooler than my old HW, i consider that an 'upgrade'

Tha's right... you better bold my name, cause I sure am a bold poster in this day and age!

The PS3 change sounds more like it's trying to make a model that competes more with the XBOX 360's highly integrated state. Which is weird, because Sony already talks about the PS3 being a media hub :p. The 360 change isn't really an upgrade to me.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Aikouka

Tha's right... you better bold my name, cause I sure am a bold poster in this day and age!

The PS3 change sounds more like it's trying to make a model that competes more with the XBOX 360's highly integrated state. Which is weird, because Sony already talks about the PS3 being a media hub :p. The 360 change isn't really an upgrade to me.

i tend to *bold* names ... anyway ... especially when i am answering you without quoting your post. ;)

yeah, i "get it" ... but IF i had to make a choice ... i would go for the "cooler" model ;)

and i think Sony is just *lost* with the PS3 ...

:p

and the THIRD part of my "updated" thread was that the Wii is a RUNAWAY success ...

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
http://uk.theinquirer.net/?article=39507

Unreal Tournament3 web site comes to life

. . . the ground has finally been set for arrival of mega-hit title for this year, Unreal Tournament III. This game is being finalised as we speak, and haiving ditched UT2k7 to become UT III, it looks even more impressive now.

We first saw UT2k7 back at E3 2006 with a gameplay demonstration showing some serious kick-ass action and the power of two GeForce boards in SLI left a lasting inqpression on everyone present.

With the launch of the official site, Epic also released couple of new screenshots, showing what FPS gamers will play later this year. So if you are wondering are high-end DirectX 10 GPUs worth the money, take a good look a these pictures

Check out the Pix ... no really ... check them out ...

... and tell me you can do this [easily] with Xbox360 or PS3

for those who *hate* theInq

http://www.unrealtournament3.com/

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Damn ... this IS interesting:

http://ncroal.talk.newsweek.com/default.asp?item=593154

Posted May 7, 2007 10:27:39 AM

this is "in part"

Outsourced: Midway Home Entertainment Chief Marketing Officer Steve Allison on What Developers Must Do to Make Games That Sell, Part I

According to our numbers, the actual success rate of new IP over the past four years is just seven percent. In other words, 93 percent of new IP fails in the marketplace. So while the 90-plus review scores and armfuls of awards create the perception that titles like Psychonauts, Shadow of the Colossus, Okami and other great pieces of work were big successes, the truth is that they were big financial disappointments and money losers.

So with a success rate of less than 10 percent for new IP, it is not the way we market and launch games that needs revisiting in the next generation. No, it is development that needs reflection, refinement and change. It is development that must evolve in all its various facets, from inception to execution. It is the conception and creation of new IP that must be redefined in this new generation so that we can all pull together to beat the 93 percent failure rate--even as we face significantly higher development costs--by reaching a common understanding that the potential success of any game is wholly dependent on three key factors, in the following order of importance: the true commercial power of the game's high level concept, the timing of the game's release, and finally the quality of the game's execution.

1. The Most Important Thing to Get Right is the Concept.

Games should have an elevator pitch that makes avid gamers and average mass market consumer who plays games say "I've got to get that" or "Bad ass!"

One very important truth is this: 16-35-year-old males in 2007 are not attracted to the things our PD [product development] guys naturally tend to come up with. Why? Because working at a publisher day in and day out, particularly in development, we all get trapped in the hardcore gamer's mindset. It's really important to understand that our customers on next generation home consoles--Playstation 3 and Xbox 360--are 90 percent male, and that's not going to change anytime soon. Therefore, the games that have the highest commercial potential are those that provide an outlet for them to live out their alpha male fantasies, to do the things they truly want to do but never could in real life.

a very interesting read

i didn't know 93% of all video games were "failures"

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001

and the THIRD part of my "updated" thread was that the Wii is a RUNAWAY success ...
The only question left about the Wii, is wether it is a sprinter, or a long distance runner. IMO it is going to prove to be a marathoner, because of the family friendly library, controller system, price point, and wide ranging appeal. The fact it is starting to penetrate the over 50yr old demographic is astonishing. I don't think even Nintendo saw that coming. They are likely hard at work identifying what this group wants, and efforting how to provide more of it for them though.

I have read some arguments against the Wii being a long-term succcess too, but likely, just as the PS2 continues to prove: price, a strong and diverse library, and the continued appearance of compelling new titles, are more important to the average consumer, than improved graphics, HD mulitmedia capabilities, and other more obscure functionality.

Concerning the 360, they are currently disseminating propaganda that it will obtain the goal of being profitable next year. With Halo 3, Gears of War 2, and a cost cutting die shrink (should save them a ton in warranty repair costs too :wink; ) that isn't unlikely.

PS3 definitely has its work cut though, and the analyst who is postulating the BR movie advantage FTW in next gen, well....I think he is a few fries short of a happy meal.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Xbox
DigiTimes reports that the Xbox 360 will be equipped with the belated 65nm Xenos GPU later this year, with production of the new graphics chips scheduled for May.

For those of you undecided about the Elite, a newer, cooler, and cheaper Xbox 360 Elite should be here in the Autumn
, and you should probably hold off until the new units are available. Though knowing which CPU/GPU combination is within your box prior to purchasing it may prove more difficult than your decision to buy one.

Xbox360-II ...
What the heck? Hey newsflash boy genius: smaller semiconductor feature sizes are invented and adopted. Why do you think it's possible to sell the current PS2 for so much less money than it originally came out for? The Xb0x360, PS3, and Wii will all eventually be made using 65nm and eventually 45nm.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: zephyrprime
Xbox

For those of you undecided about the Elite, a newer, cooler, and cheaper Xbox 360 Elite should be here in the Autumn
, and you should probably hold off until the new units are available. Though knowing which CPU/GPU combination is within your box prior to purchasing it may prove more difficult than your decision to buy one.

Xbox360-II ...
What the heck? Hey newsflash boy genius: smaller semiconductor feature sizes are invented and adopted. Why do you think it's possible to sell the current PS2 for so much less money than it originally came out for? The Xb0x360, PS3, and Wii will all eventually be made using 65nm and eventually 45nm.

you didn't read *any* part of this 'updated' thread - beyond the first post - did you?

nor did you bother with my answer - to the *other posters* who brought up this *exact same point* ... long ago ... i am not gonna repeat it :|

OK ... well for the ADD among us :p

*cooler* in "HW terms" IS an upgrade
- at least for PCers and those who who have trouble in Summer's Heat. :sun:

look up upgrade ;)

[hint: dictionary.com]

and you didn't *bother* to address the other bazillion points i made
:thumbsdown:

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
http://uk.theinquirer.net/?article=39531
see what is happening to the entry level version of Microsoft's Xbox 360 console.

Yes, it's the one with a wired controller and without a hard drive. Just like the entry-level PS3, sales aren't exactly flourishing and it isn't hard to imagine why.

Now, Dick's Smith Electronics chain is withdrawing the Core system from its shelves and not going to re-order a product, proclaiming that it is a end-of-life product. Is this limited to Australia only or is this a beginning of a tidal wave, remains to be seen.

Microsoft was always touting two SKUs (Stock Keeping Units) for its Xbox 360 line-up, so it is not excluded that fall line-up will feature revised Xbox 360 Premium and Elite systems only. As we have already disclosed, this summer console will undergo a major internal upgrade, with 65nm parts from Chartered and TSMC replacing old 90nm ones, cutting the price of building the console and massivly improving the thermal characteristics of the console.

Who knows, we might even end up with a silent and powerful console, unlike current ones, which feature loud fans and DVD drives

Loud fans and DVD drives

what say you Matt2 .. did the PS3 "gift" cloud theInq's "good judgement" about the xbox360?
:p

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
*more*

http://uk.theinquirer.net/?article=39554
Unreal Tournament 3 ... will be DX10 and tied to GraphZilla's TWIMTBP programme.

a number of Xbox 360 titles have shipped using the titular graphics engine, whilst UT3 itself has been stuck in game development hell.

Gears of War, the most high profile UE3 title, was developed and tweaked for the ATI Xenos architecture in the Xbox 360, but the creators of the engine, it seems, have been working closely with Nvidia for its first outing on the PC. This isn't really a big surprise - UT2004 was heavily branded with Nvidia logos.

So if you want the best out of Unreal Engine 3, it seems like you're going to need to be running Vista with an 8800.
--or HD-2900XT :p

The Visuals on the PC will be MUCH better ... shortly