Foreign actors with perfect American accents..

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: Compnewbie01
I was referring to Keanu Reeves btw.

According to Wikipedia, Keanu Reeves is a Canadian actor who was born in Lebanon to an American father and English mother.

<neo>woah...</neo>

whoa...i thought he was half asian

Shlong

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2002
Originally posted by: JS80

According to Wikipedia, Keanu Reeves is a Canadian actor who was born in Lebanon to an American father and English mother.

<neo>woah...</neo>

On Wikipedia it says his mother "Rose Lokalia Miguel, who was of Chinese and Hawaiian descent"

skrilla

Oct 22, 2004
Gary Oldman

I don't think Colin Farrell's ability to lose his accent is that great.

loic2003

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
to speak american, all you do is draw out the words, kinda slur them and make it way more nasal.

To pull off a decent british accent (note, there's some really nasty variants like that of chavs and scousers) you need to pronounce words closer to how they are written and really pronounce each letter instead of blurring it all together. The sound comes more from the chest rather than the nose.

you also have to learn to speall correctly, but that's a whole other thread ;)

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: aidanjm
Americans know there are other countries?

There are some Aussies who aren't wank?

(The answer is no, btw ;))

While we're on the topic of Wanks, I think their actors may do it best (outside of Canadians of course). Notable Wanks include Mel Gibson, Nicole Kidman, Hugh Jackman, and Russel Crowe.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: JS80

<neo>woah...</neo>

I've always thought 1/4...

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Syringer
I'm always amazed when I see a foreigner act in a show/movie with no distinct accent at all, e.g. Hugh Laurie in House, Keira Knightley, and Jason Statham are prime examples.

Who else pulls off this role well?

ROTFLMAO! You think that Keira Knightly and Jason Stratham don't have accents? The only legit one on your list is Laurie.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: loic2003
to speak american, all you do is draw out the words, kinda slur them and make it way more nasal.

To pull off a decent british accent (note, there's some really nasty variants like that of chavs and scousers) you need to pronounce words closer to how they are written and really pronounce each letter instead of blurring it all together. The sound comes more from the chest rather than the nose.

Because there is only one American accent..... :roll:

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: oogabooga
Originally posted by: Strk
Brian Cox
Ian McKellen
Alan Cumming <--- he is awesome with all sorts of accents. A German friend of mine was amazed at how accurate his accent was as Nightcrawler.
Kenneth Branagh
Colin Farrell <--- his movies tend to suck, but he can do an accent! ;)

I don't think Mel Gibson really counts. He has pretty much gotten rid of his Aussie accent (I don't think I've ever even heard it).

the episode with Colin Farrell guest staring in Scrubs had a joke about his accents. He speaks a flawless hick accent, then just speaks regularly the rest of the episode.

regardless of his acting 'talent' - he can sure pull off an american accent.

Yup, I saw an interview he did for Miami Vice and I was amazed. I had no idea he had the slightest bit of accent until I saw that.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
one that surprised me was adamas son apollo in bsg. he's ausi or something.

another odd one is the arab dude on lost, he's brit lol:)

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002

Yeah, I guess that would be true if we were all from rural Louisiana.
But since we're not, you're a frickin idiot.

The difference between british and american accents has nothing to do with enunciation. It's a difference in intonation and the way certain syllables are stressed.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
Originally posted by: BlueWeasel
Originally posted by: Kevin1211
most of the cast from Band Of Brothers are british actors...

Not really, but the English guy that played Richard Winters had an excellent American accent.

Martin was played by a british guy
Liebgott was played by a Scottish guy
Roe was played by a British guy (he had what I thought was a great creole accent too)
Blithe was played by a British guy
Shifty Power was played by a guy from South Africa
Popeye was played by a British guy
Penkala was played by a British guy

But other than those major characters ;)

Yeah, I had no idea any of those guys were british until I saw them in interviews.

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Triumph
Originally posted by: lyssword
bah like 90% of ppl u guys just mentioned have english as their native language. How about some1 who is not english-born?

Mila Kunis from Family Guy and That 70's Show was born and raised in the Ukraine. Considering how different that language is than English, I'd say she did a tremendous job losing her accent.

Yes thats a very good example :) I was born in Ukraine as well and I'm impressed with how well she speaks U.S english.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Triumph
Originally posted by: lyssword
bah like 90% of ppl u guys just mentioned have english as their native language. How about some1 who is not english-born?

Mila Kunis from Family Guy and That 70's Show was born and raised in the Ukraine. Considering how different that language is than English, I'd say she did a tremendous job losing her accent.

Wow...she pulls off the teen angst accent incredibly well.

YoYoBabyYo

Jul 1, 2003
Originally posted by: fire400
Faye Wong and Jolin Tsai. In addition to them being singers, I'd say they're English is way better mines...

Fluent or not, but they came from a different country and became more than the average citizen:

I give Arnold S., gov. of California props and deep respect. Many critized his motives as an actor and said his language skills were terrible. But look where he is today, movie star and high standing political figure in the arena of ambitious leaders, a body builder, and much more that a lot of people would dream of becoming.

Bruce Lee, he is a legend. Came from China and helped shape the way martial arts was done in this country, in film, as exercise and for anyone who wanted to put their mind to something, an art that brought attention throughout the nation.

I was looking for a particular Jolin MV, and I came across a clip where she gave a small english lesson. To my surprise, she was pretty good!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP5McjJ17nE

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001

Several British accents seem to blur or even ignore entire letters in words... kind of like a Boston accent (not sounding like one, but ignoring/sluring letters)