Sep 28, 2000
Forecast: Sex and Marriage With Robots by 2050

Forecast: Sex and Marriage With Robots by 2050

Monday, October 15, 2007

By Charles Q. Choi

* Print
* Digg This!
* del.icio.us

Humans could marry robots within the century. And consummate those vows.

"My forecast is that around 2050, the state of Massachusetts will be the first jurisdiction to legalize marriages with robots," artificial intelligence researcher David Levy at the University of Maastricht in the Netherlands told LiveScience.

Levy recently completed his Ph.D. work on the subject of human-robot relationships, covering many of the privileges and practices that generally come with marriage as well as outside of it.

At first, sex with robots might be considered geeky, "but once you have a story like 'I had sex with a robot, and it was great!' appear someplace like Cosmo magazine, I'd expect many people to jump on the bandwagon," Levy said.

Pygmalion to Roomba

The idea of romance between humanity and our artistic and/or mechanical creations dates back to ancient times, with the Greek myth of the sculptor Pygmalion falling in love with the ivory statue he made named Galatea, to which the goddess Venus eventually granted life.
Related

Stories
o Japanese Robot Gives Facial Massages
o Spy Flies All the Buzz at Washington, N.Y. Political Events
o Japanese Building Robots to Help Elderly
o Study: Roomba Owners Get Deeply Attached to Robots
o Next Wave of Consumer Robots Debuts at New York Expo

This notion persists in modern times. Not only has science fiction explored this idea, but 40 years ago, scientists noticed that students at times became unusually attracted to ELIZA, a computer program designed to ask questions and mimic a psychotherapist.

"There's a trend of robots becoming more human-like in appearance and coming more in contact with humans," Levy said. "At first robots were used impersonally, in factories where they helped build automobiles, for instance. Then they were used in offices to deliver mail, or to show visitors around museums, or in homes as vacuum cleaners, such as with the Roomba. Now you have robot toys, like Sony's Aibo robot dog, or Tickle Me Elmos, or digital pets like Tamagotchis."

In his thesis, "Intimate Relationships with Artificial Partners," Levy conjectures that robots will become so human-like in appearance, function and personality that many people will fall in love with them, have sex with them and even marry them.

"It may sound a little weird, but it isn't," Levy said. "Love and sex with robots are inevitable."

Sex in 5 years

Levy argues that psychologists have identified roughly a dozen basic reasons why people fall in love, "and almost all of them could apply to human-robot relationships. For instance, one thing that prompts people to fall in love are similarities in personality and knowledge, and all of this is programmable. Another reason people are more likely to fall in love is if they know the other person likes them, and that's programmable too."

In 2006, Henrik Christensen, founder of the European Robotics Research Network, predicted that people will be having sex with robots within five years, and Levy thinks that's quite likely.

There are companies that already sell realistic sex dolls, "and it's just a matter of adding some electronics to them to add some vibration," he said, or endowing the robots with a few audio responses. "That's fairly primitive in terms of robotics, but the technology is already there."

As software becomes more advanced and the relationship between humans and robots becomes more personal, marriage could result.

"One hundred years ago, interracial marriage and same-sex marriages were illegal in the United States. Interracial marriage has been legal now for 50 years, and same-sex marriage is legal in some parts of the states," Levy said. "There has been this trend in marriage where each partner gets to make their own choice of who they want to be with."

"The question is not if this will happen, but when," Levy said. "I am convinced the answer is much earlier than you think."

When and where it'll happen

Levy predicts Massachusetts will be the first jurisdiction to legalize human-robot marriage.

"Massachusetts is more liberal than most other jurisdictions in the United States and has been at the forefront of same-sex marriage," Levy said. "There's also a lot of high-tech research there at places like MIT."

Although roboticist Ronald Arkin at the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta does not think human-robot marriages will be legal anywhere by 2050, "anything's possible. And just because it's not legal doesn't mean people won't try it," he told LiveScience.

"Humans are very unusual creatures," Arkin said. "If you ask me if every human will want to marry a robot, my answer is probably not. But will there be a subset of people? There are people ready right now to marry sex toys."

The main benefit of human-robot marriage could be to make people who otherwise could not get married happier, "people who find it hard to form relationships, because they are extremely shy, or have psychological problems, or are just plain ugly or have unpleasant personalities," Levy said. "Of course, such people who completely give up the idea of forming relationships with other people are going to be few and far between, but they will be out there."

Ethical questions

The possibility of sex with robots could prove a mixed bag for humanity. For instance, robot sex could provide an outlet for criminal sexual urges.

"If you have pedophiles and you let them use a robotic child, will that reduce the incidence of them abusing real children, or will it increase it?" Arkin asked. "I don't think anyone has the answers for that yet ? that's where future research needs to be done."

Keeping a robot for sex could reduce human prostitution and the problems that come with it.

However, "in a marriage or other relationship, one partner could be jealous or consider it infidelity if the other used a robot," Levy said. "But who knows, maybe some other relationships could welcome a robot. Instead of a woman saying, 'Darling, not tonight, I have a headache,' you could get 'Darling, I have a headache, why not use your robot?'"

Arkin noted that "if we allow robots to become a part of everyday life and bond with them, we'll have to ask questions about what's going to happen to our social fabric. How will they change humanity and civilization? I don't have any answers, but I think it's something we need to study. There's a real potential for intimacy here, where humans become psychologically and emotionally attached to these devices in ways we wouldn't to a vibrator."

Levy is currently writing a paper on the ethical treatment of robots. When it comes to sex and love with robots, "the ethical issues on how to treat them are something we'll have to consider very seriously, and they're very complicated issues," Levy said.

Levy successfully defended his thesis Oct. 11.

ZebuluniteV

Aug 23, 2007
To quote Jerry Seinfeld (after listening to Kramer and Newman talk about their Rickshaw idea, and Kramer's suggestion that they use the homeless to pull it): "Now that's the first sensible idea I've heard all day"

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
Sexually transmitted computer virus? trojan horse?

Can you press ctrl/alt/del is she gets too wild?

Look for the backdoor!
Better hope she doesn't take a core dump!

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Watch out for that blue screen of death! I hear it's real nasty!

:)

I'm all for it! I envision the new massage chairs to offer this service. I think put in voice chips and vibrators in blow up sex dolls is pretty cheesy.

btw, the link don't work for me.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: GuitarDaddy
Sexually transmitted computer virus? trojan horse?

Can you press ctrl/alt/del is she gets too wild?

Look for the backdoor!
Better hope she doesn't take a core dump!

lmao, you're on fiah here!

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Everybody will be able to have a relationship with the most beautiful person in the world and from early childhood. And if you want a change, no problem. Sperm and eggs can be ordered by mail if anybody would still want to have a kid. But it will be important that their programming require termination of those who abuse.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Well, I do have a semi-perfectly good human wife. But I will concede the concept of woman could use some innovation. However, I think there is some woman sitting behind some computer screen reading this and seething just waiting to say the concept of man could use a lot of improvement.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
The last few paragraphs raise some very interesting questions.

ew915

Jun 19, 2001
this would be the end of mankind, who would want a crazy b*tch who loves to play games when you can get a computer who just lays there and not give you lip.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Originally posted by: ew915
this would be the end of mankind, who would want a crazy b*tch who loves to play games when you can get a computer who just lays there and not give you lip.

Nah I don't think it would. It does mention that eggs/sperm would be stored for use if someone wanted a baby. And if robots became mainstream I could see the government paying people to have kids. Plus, if they did that, they could have some sort of screening process and eventually weed out all white trash :D (plus other trash)

/wishful thinking

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: ew915

Careful, you only reveal what is true of yourself when you project onto others. I know what you really want is someone you could treat with the deepest of love and respect because you want to show her what it means to be human.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
I am very doubtful that there will be human like robots that work intelligently and well by 2050. I would think more like 2150 or 2100 at the very earliest, certainly at the very end of my lifetime or after.

rpanic

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2006
Originally posted by: jandrews
I am very doubtful that there will be human like robots that work intelligently and well by 2050. I would think more like 2150 or 2100 at the very earliest, certainly at the very end of my lifetime or after.

That might be all that I can get when I am in my old wrinkly hundred year old, certainly better than a hundred old lady. :)

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: blackangst1
I hope there is a robot that is 3 feet tall with a flat head.

Why, so people can say, "What a quaint couple, I wonder which one is the robot."?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: blackangst1
I hope there is a robot that is 3 feet tall with a flat head.

Why, so people can say, "What a quaint couple, I wonder which one is the robot."?

nevermind. Over your head I guess (no pun intended)

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Everybody will be able to have a relationship with the most beautiful person in the world and from early childhood. And if you want a change, no problem. Sperm and eggs can be ordered by mail if anybody would still want to have a kid. But it will be important that their programming require termination of those who abuse.

That is what I was thinking, too. Hot-babe robots for every geeky guy.

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
I first read about this in The Age of Spiritual Machines, by Ray Kurzweil. He predicts humans will eventually shed biological matter in exchange for machinery while still maintaining thoughts and emotions - similar to that movie Bicentennial Man.

I think he predicted a longer time line...somewhere between 2075-2100. This would be a bit different than robots though...sort of modding your body with mechanical parts until you're no longer biologically based.

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
The only reason this is getting attention is because it's so totally rediculous. I can understand if some freak wants to have sex with a flashlight or god knows what else, and so it seems a a robot would be the natural progression of things. However I don't see this being widely embraced, I mean how would you explain it to someone if they were to visit your place and your nasty-as-hell FUVCKBOT was just chilling on the couch watching doctor phil? Granted I think anyone that were to go along this route would have by that point completely abandoned any hope of living what could be considered a worthwhile existance, but at the same time they'd have to be pretty wealthy to afford th contraption as well; at least until the things are mass produced due to popular demand. Afterall, you can't deflate a FVCKBOT. Perhaps they'll design it like an exercise machine to where you can neatly fold it up and shove under your bed?

Now marriage, otoh, is where things really start to get stupid; stupidity to level that has yet to be realized by the pinacle of human stupidity. Do people marry dildos, inflatable dolls, fleshlights, or any other freak-on-a-leash gadget? I suppose they must be considering those guys who have to import their wives from foreign countries, because at least the robot won't leave their sorry asses once it gets a green card.

God, humnity fails...

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Well, ideally they'd be almost completely lifelike, and you wouldn't even be able to tell it was a human. Obviously at first it will be way easy to tell a robot from a human, but I'm sure someday we'll make bots that are on par with the ones in the AI movie.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
This forecast is braindead and definitely wildy inaccurate. I don't even need to read anything beyond the heading.