Question Force GPU Boost

PHYLO

Jul 22, 2019
So I've recently upgraded from a GTX 1070 to an RTX 2060 SUPER. Everything is great, I'm even hitting 2010mhz boost clocks in demanding games.

My only issue is when I play CSGO, my 2060S doesn't boost up AT ALL from its idle clock speed of 1470mhz. I play on low settings (for competitive reasons), 1280x1024 with everything on low except for effects and shadow details. But this wasn't an issue for my 1070. My 1070 would boost itself and provide me with 300-600 fps. I'm assuming that my 2060S doesn't deem CSGO demanding enough to boost its clock speed up from its idle clock speed? It's odd because the first 10 minutes of playing CSGO with the 2060S at my settings provided me 500-800 fps (overkill for most, but that sweet frametime and minimum input lag is noticeable for me), but soon after the 2060S clocked itself back down to idle the clock speed, providing 250-300 fps, and won't budge after client and computer reboots).

I have the latest chipset, bios, and drivers installed. I'm using AMD Ryzen Balanced power mode and I've set the power management in Nvidia Control Panel to "Prefer Maximum Performance". Is there a work around to force my 2060S to boost its clock speed when playing, or do I need to increase my video settings in CSGO to force my 2060S to boost?

Build Specs:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/phyLo/saved/Mw9whM

Last edited:

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
Use MSI Afterburner, open voltage-frequency curve by clicking bars icon to left to "Core clock" or pressing Ctrl + F. Click on the point on which frequency starts to plateau. Lock GPU to that point's frequency and voltage by pressing L. Finally, close the curve window, and press Apply.

Last edited:

PontiacGTX

Oct 16, 2013
Use MSI Afterburner, open voltage-frequency curve by clicking bars icon to left to "Core clock" or pressing Ctrl + F. Click on the point on which frequency starts to plateau. Lock GPU to that point's frequency and voltage by pressing L. Finally, close the curve window, and press Apply.
wait is there a voltage frequency curve? in which version

PHYLO

Jul 22, 2019

Oh snap, that seems very promising. Thank you for the detailed directions! I'll give it a shot after work today. :)