For TMOUS: Galaxy Nexus vs. HTC One S (Update: Bought the Nexus)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Where do you all think is the best place to buy a Galaxy Nexus? From which seller? Is there a specific model to look for (yakju)?

Buy it from any legit seller with the lowest price. I bought mine from Negri Electronics but that's only because they had the lowest price back in December 2011. I wouldn't count on any warranty no matter what the seller promises you.

I wouldn't worry too much about "yakju" build. You can flash any build to "yakju" in 10 minutes. Mine wasn't originally "yakju". It is now.

There are couple of carrier sim locked GNex, the biggest being Docomo. I would avoid Docomo GNex. You can easily tell it's Docomo because it'll say Docomo on the back of the GNex. Docomo GNex are sim locked. Sellers will unlock and then sell Docomo GNex as unlocked "yakju" but the problem is it will have generic IMEI number instead of the factory unique due to the software method of unlock. That means no Google Wallet or anything that requires unique IMEI.

So basically, avoid Docomo GNex and you'll be fine.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
When I was on T-Mobile this was true and from what I read recently it still is: if you have an Android phone like a Nexus One or Galaxy Nexus(or others) with mobile hot spot built into the OS then T-Mobile lets you use it for free.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
So the sites I am looking to buy from are Newegg, Amazon, and MobileCityOnline.

I have bought from all three before. I have bought an unlocked GSM phone from MCO, several in fact.

Any preferences?

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007

I have bought from all three before. I have bought an unlocked GSM phone from MCO, several in fact.

Any preferences?

I just checked NewEgg, no restocking fee, 30 day returns. And it's $450 right now (shows $470, but then goes to $450 when I open it).

I just decided to buy it. I had one before, but it had a purple screen (seems like a defect with the really early batch of phones). Going to give this another try. And I still have a case for it, so I don't have to buy that now either. :)

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I just checked NewEgg, no restocking fee, 30 day returns. And it's $450 right now (shows $470, but then goes to $450 when I open it).

I just decided to buy it. I had one before, but it had a purple screen (seems like a defect with the really early batch of phones). Going to give this another try. And I still have a case for it, so I don't have to buy that now either. :)

But I don't think NE is selling the "yakju" version...

Or does this not matter since it can be flashed...

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
But I don't think NE is selling the "yakju" version...

Or does this not matter since it can be flashed...

There is an all in one unlock, root, flash tool that's pretty easy to use. While I'm unlocking it's, it's a very simple matter of flashing yakju on.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003

Any preferences?

i bought mine in-store from MCO in nyc, no issues.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
What is the word on the HTC One X?
Seems like a device many would want with its bigger screen.
Does it cost more?
How much shorter battery life can we expect from it?

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
What is the word on the HTC One X?
Seems like a device many would want with its bigger screen.
Does it cost more?
How much shorter battery life can we expect from it?

Won't be able to use the One X on T-Mobile USA. It's coming to AT&T May 6th and happens to have the same $200 contract price as the One S on T-Mobile does. But I would imagine the off contract price the One X would be more expensive.

I wish the One X used an S4 processor, I think a dual core A15 (or pseudo A15) is more ideal than a quad core A9. But the Tegra 3 is pretty great too, so not a big deal. And I like the bigger screen and higher DPI. Also like the case.

Argh, why can't T-Mobile get high end phones anymore? :(

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
crap, the black one comes out in June? They have the other one on their site now: http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/Phones/cell-phone-detail.aspx?cell-phone=HTC-One-S-Gradient-Blue

I have several months left on my contract, but i called TMo and asked if they can give me the full discount on the HTC One S. When they said no, I told them that I've been a loyal TMo customer since the VStream days (~13 yrs now) and would just switch over to AT&T for the One X. They sent to to customer care and told me to call back next week for the full discount.

i assume i can change the back cover to black later? if that's the case, i may just get this next week.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Re: Galaxy Nexus.

I guess I just need to decide whether to buy from Amazon* or NewEgg...

*Sold by BLUTEKUSA and Fulfilled by Amazon.

They cost the same...$450.

Eyeless Blond

Dec 22, 2005
Re: Galaxy Nexus.

I guess I just need to decide whether to buy from Amazon* or NewEgg...

*Sold by BLUTEKUSA and Fulfilled by Amazon.

They cost the same...$450.

Amazon doesn't charge tax in CA so it was a no-brainer for me. You can also buy an extended warranty on Amazon (through Squaretrade).

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
you can buy through Negri Electronics, they honor international warranties.

Good luck cashing that warranty through Negri. I bought from Negri but only because they were the cheapest at the time. I don't expect them to honor the warranty if something happens to my phone. I've read mixed bag of stories regarding warranty claims through Negri. Just look at their simple return policy on their site. Very anti-customer and one of the worst I've seen from an internet retailer.

Negri has the phone for $614. Only a moron would buy it from Negri now when other sellers are selling it for <$450. You can buy the phone for $450 from Amazon resellers and be covered under Amazon A-Z guarantee and purchase additional 2yr SquareTrade warranty for cheaper than just the phone at Negri.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
i think there might be an additional smartphone deductible on that as well.

I think the deductible is $50 and the 2yr warranty is $125. But that covers additional damage as well. Personally, I think all paid extended warranties are ripoff and will never buy one. I self-insure everything I can. Think about how much Apple makes from the poor souls who buy AppleCare. That's just pure profit for Apple. Same with majority of all other extended warranties.

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
Argh, I'm so mad at NewEgg right now. I got my Galaxy Nexus. But instead of getting a brand new phone they shipped me a open boxed used phone. The Samsung seal was cut, the protective stickers pealed off, even the back cover wasn't all the way on.

And to make things worse, this has the same very purplish screen that I returned my last Galaxy Nexus over. ARGH. If I had hair, I'd pull it out.

PS. The phone has a February 2012 manufacture date. Kinda surprise Samsung is still having issues with purple screens. Not sure if I want to replace this or get a refund. Two bad phones in a row isn't making me feel optimistic.

Last edited:

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
That's lame. However Newegg is insanely good about customer service. Talk to them and they'll make it right.