For those who have an MP3 player w/ less capacity than their collection

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
for example, you have 20GB of mp3's on your computer, but have a 1-6GB mp3 player.

is the 1-6GB an secondary player (i.e. you have a 20GB player, too)?

do you just fill up the 1-6GB player with current favs? is it a workout player?

i've always thought an mp3 player should hold your entire collection, or just around 256-512MB for workouts and carrying around. i never understood having a player that's bigger than 256-512, but smaller than your entire collection. isn't it time consuming deciding which 5-25% of your music to carry around? thoughts?

Aug 26, 2004
well...i have about 30 gigs of music...but probably only listen to 10 tops

so it would work out for me

hevnsnt

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
To be honest, I have a large collection & I have them "rated" in itunes.. That way I can fill my player with music that I really like

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
I used to have a 15gb iPod to hold my entire collection, but i realized i would only listen to maybe 1/100 of all the songs on there... Sold that one and went for physical size rather than hard drive size...

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: hevnsnt
To be honest, I have a large collection & I have them "rated" in itunes.. That way I can fill my player with music that I really like

interesting. how big if your entire collection vs. mp3 player capacity? how often do you update the player?

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
i have a 20gig iaudio x5, currently i have about 13 gigs of music. 20 should be good enough on the go though. i'm planning to get a 256 or 512 flash player for working out

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004
20 gig player and I don't quite have that many MP3s. although my player can display pics and movies as well.

LinuxIdiot

Golden Member
May 20, 2002
I have a 30 gig Zen that I filled up with most of my collection, however I rarely listen to 80% of the songs so recently I gave the 30 gig to my mom and bought a nano and even that holds more than what i typically listen to :)

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I've got roughly 30GB of music and I have a 20GB Dell player and a 128mb flash player.

Currently, the Dell player has 50% of free space. While I immediately backup CDs when I get them, I just don't care about having access to ALL of my music. I probably update the player on average, once or twice per week and delete stuff that I'm not listening to current. I'm the kind of music listener who mainly sticks to favorites and rarely will listen to the entire album.

The 128mb flash player is for the gym only, and it probably gets updated 2-3 times per week because of the repetitivity from lack of space.

hevnsnt

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
Originally posted by: iamme
Originally posted by: hevnsnt

interesting. how big if your entire collection vs. mp3 player capacity? how often do you update the player?

Well I have a about a 25gb collection, and I have the following players:

60gb Ipod: I normally don't carry this around with me, but it is nice for long trips. This of course has my full collection.

1gb Ipod Shuffle: Just contains my ***** & **** rated songs. I take this with me pretty much everywhere. I bought it just for working out, but it has taken the place of my ipod. However I think I am going to be replacing it with a nano here shortly.

DnetMHZ

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2001
I have a full 20 gig Ipod and I maybe listen to 10% of what is on there, and I haven't added or removed a single song in probably 6 months.

Full collection probably 35-40 gigs

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
I have an 80 gig MP3 collection and a 256 meg MP3 player.
I get tired of songs when I'm running/working out so I swap songs all the time. I'm too rough on my players to have one with a hard drive.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
no one makes an mp3 anywhere near large enough to handle my collection.

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
i have a 256mb mp3 player which i use everyday for work commute and working out. I usually just add my current favorites. I have about 10 gigs on my comp and there's no way that i need to carry all that cause i know i'll probably just end up listening to only some of them. i think i might pick up a player with about a gig or two

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I have a 1.5 gig player and at least 40 gig of MP3's.
The 1.5 gig spot fit perfectly for me, because it lets me have an entire audio book on it for those long drives, plus a couple of albums (or mixes) for listening to when I don't feel like listening to my book.
For example, right now I have the entire book Atlas Shrugged unabridged on it, taking up just over a gig, with enough room leftover for every Aerosmith album.
I would not be happy with much less space because then I would not be able to fit the entire book on it, and I see little reason to pay more for more space, I can already listen to just music longer then the battery will last, and I have 30 some odd hours of Audio book on it.

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Yes, I have a 512mb MuVo TX FM that I use for running and mountain biking. My 30GB Zen NX was my first MP3 player, and it holds my entire collection.

ggnl

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
I do perfectly fine with a 1GB player, but I only use it for workouts. Before I go work out, I just decide what album(s) I want to listen to and load them up. It takes 5 minutes to do.

HermDogg

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2004
Originally posted by: SMOGZINN
I have a 1.5 gig player and at least 40 gig of MP3's.
The 1.5 gig spot fit perfectly for me, because it lets me have an entire audio book on it for those long drives, plus a couple of albums (or mixes) for listening to when I don't feel like listening to my book.
For example, right now I have the entire book Atlas Shrugged unabridged on it, taking up just over a gig, with enough room leftover for every Aerosmith album.
I would not be happy with much less space because then I would not be able to fit the entire book on it, and I see little reason to pay more for more space, I can already listen to just music longer then the battery will last, and I have 30 some odd hours of Audio book on it.

.... Why? How could you posibly hate yourself enough to LISTEN to Ayn Rand's insane babbling?

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Originally posted by: HermDogg
.... Why? How could you posibly hate yourself enough to LISTEN to Ayn Rand's insane babbling?

My first read (listen in this case) of it. How could I hate myself enough to remain ignorant when there are books to read? I can not pass judgement on a book until I have read it, and contemplated it's message. I am doing this now.

chimmytime

Jul 26, 2002
Some days you want to listen to Britney, some days you don't.

Aint it a pain to have to scroll through a hundred artist to find the one you want?

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I have Rio Forge Sport. I mainly use it for workouts, but sometimes in my car too. I just drag and drop whatever I'm in the mood to listen to; only takes 2-3 minutes for me to choose, transfer, and start listening :)