For those that have a foam or latex mattress, what foundation do you have?

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm considering trying a Tuft & Needle mattress. I contacted T&N to ask about what type of foundation to use with the mattress. Their response was to use a slatted foundation with slats no more than 2" apart. I went to several mattress stores over the weekend, but they all claimed to not have a foundation for sale that had slats 2" or less apart. Several recommended using bunkie boards. I'd rather find something with more height and more quality.

My understanding is that the foundations sold with foam and latex mattresses probably match what I need. When asking about those at the mattress stores, I was told they would only sell them as a bundle.

So, any information and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Let me just say this, go with a Latex, they rule. Then also get Latex pillows and enjoy sleep nirvana.

Feb 24, 2001
I have a full latex mattress that probably weighs in some 100+ lbs. I have a wood foundation made by the manufacturer with slats that close.

Does T&N not sell foundations?

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Thanks everyone!

Nace and Laguna: thanks for the suggestion. However, I just bought a new bedroom set (ordered just before I learned about Tuft & Needle's mattresses). The bed has slats on the bottom but they are about 5" apart and the side rails rise 9.5" from the slats. I'd like to find a foundation that sits in the bed and both provides closer slats and adds some height.

Bruno: no, Tuft & Needle does not sell foundations. They market the mattresses for floor use and futon use. I'm attempting to use it with a sleigh bed.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Why not just make your own? My old queen bed set had a really crappy support system in it. Basically the entire load of the mattress, box spring, and people was placed on a 2" wide strip of composite lumber that was glued and screwed to the side rails. I decided to reinforce it with a bunch of "T" braces (see center brace in below pic), which I made in about an hour from a some 2x4's and and 5 1/4" PT decking. You can't see the supports, so I went for strength vs. appearance. If you want to adjust the height, just glue and screw a 1"x2" to each of the side rails at whatever height you want. Or just cut the center of the T brace longer and add some shims to the ends to compensate.

Hell - if you want to make it even easier and have access to a table saw, just rip some 3/4" plywood to size and toenail some supports in at the corners and middle.

Center%252520Support_thumb%25255B1%25255D.jpg%3Fimgmax%3D800

Last edited:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Order a second set of slats for the bed you already bought. The bed we bought had a "double slats" option which we bought.

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Why not just make your own? My old queen bed set had a really crappy support system in it. Basically the entire load of the mattress, box spring, and people was placed on 2" wide strip of composite lumber that was glued and screwed to the side rails. I decided to reinforce it with a bunch of "T" braces (see center brace in below pic), which I made in about an hour from a some 2x4's and and 5 1/4" PT decking. You can't see the support, so I went for strength vs. appearance.

Center%252520Support_thumb%25255B1%25255D.jpg%3Fimgmax%3D800

That is an option I've been considering. I priced some supplies at Lowe's a few days ago. However, I don't have much experience woodworking and I don't have much for power tools, so I'd rather purchase something pre-made if it exists and doesn't cost a small fortune.

I found an online retailer that sells a foundation that matches my description. It's over $800 shipped.

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Order a second set of slats for the bed you already bought. The bed we bought had a "double slats" option which we bought.

Thanks. Does not appear to be an option on this set. I could make additional slats and add them, but that does not add the height desired.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Ikea has bed frames of all types.

We used to have a water bed, dropped the foam mattress into the same bed with a solid plywood base. We are thinking though of going to something with a touch more flex, but its hard to guess with a bed what level of firmness will result in the best nights sleep.

nace186

Platinum Member
Sep 16, 2006
Do you have an image of what your bed set look like?

I wonder if putting plywood on top of the slats would help solve your issue.

Last edited:

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Ikea has bed frames of all types.

We used to have a water bed, dropped the foam mattress into the same bed with a solid plywood base. We are thinking though of going to something with a touch more flex, but its hard to guess with a bed what level of firmness will result in the best nights sleep.
That's what we have too. We thought we had the right firmness of mattress but it was a bit much. We added a 3" gel foam topper and ooh.
That plywood suggestion would work, at least it is worth a try if you already have a frame.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
We've used this platform on a Queen 12 inch foam bed since Oct 2012 and I've been very happy with it. It gives storage space under the bed and breaks down and folds easily so it will be simple to move anywhere without fear of getting a box spring or platform up stairs. The bonus is that you can put a skirt on the bed & it will look like a traditional bed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&amp;psc=1

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Congrats on your new bed purchase, I wish we had purchased latex instead of memory form.

Which did you buy?

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Congrats on your new bed purchase, I wish we had purchased latex instead of memory form.

Which did you buy?

Hi Ross!

I'm looking at buying a foam mattress. If I get the right support set up, I can switch to a latex mattress later if I end up not liking the foam. The foam mattress has a 30 day return policy.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
I own a latex, that I ended up putting a memory foam topper on top of.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Do you have an image of what your bed set look like?

I wonder if putting plywood on top of the slats would help solve your issue.

Plywood over the slats would definitely solve his issue, but would not provide a height increase. The point is to distribute the weight of the mattress over more surface area so that it does not "squish" though the spaces between the slats.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
That is an option I've been considering. I priced some supplies at Lowe's a few days ago. However, I don't have much experience woodworking and I don't have much for power tools, so I'd rather purchase something pre-made if it exists and doesn't cost a small fortune.

Fair enough. All you really need as far as tools is a circular saw (or a chop/miter saw) and a hammer (and optionally a power drill). You could rent those things from any hardware store, or ask someone to borrow their tools for a day or so (if that is an option . . . everyone in the northeast seems to have an entire carpentry shop in their garage).

All you need to do is cut the 2"x2" to length. Glue and screw them to the sides of your existing bed frame (make sure to use a strong glue and screws that are long enough to go into the bed frame but not too long as to protrude out the other side). Then cut the 5 1/4 decking to length (inside width of the bed frame). Cut 2x4" center supports to length, position them at the center of the 5 1/4 inch decking and nail the two pieces together through the face of the decking (or screw them together using deck screws and the power drill). Then all you need to do is arrange the new supports on the 2"x2" side rails and voila! problem solved.

I'm willing to bet you could buy all the lumber and hardware needed for ~$100-150 bucks. Maybe less. A good deal less if you decide to simply use some 3/4" plywood instead of supports.

Last edited:

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Hi Ross!

I'm looking at buying a foam mattress. If I get the right support set up, I can switch to a latex mattress later if I end up not liking the foam. The foam mattress has a 30 day return policy.

We love our memory foam which is top notch, purchased from CostCo, manufactured and delivered locally. However heat retention sucks and you live in the SW right?

If possible heat retention doesn't bother you, it's hard to beat memory foam.

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
We love our memory foam which is top notch, purchased from CostCo, manufactured and delivered locally. However heat retention sucks and you live in the SW right?

If possible heat retention doesn't bother you, it's hard to beat memory foam.

Heat retention would bother me. The mattress I am buying supposedly does well to stay cool. We'll see.

I ended up purchasing a low profile foundation with slats 2.5 to 3" apart from US Box Spring. We'll see how it works out. :)

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Lots of mattress places have a wide variety of firmness and brands in the show rooms and you can "try" them out, but what feels great for 15 min or half an hour may not be firm enough to feel good sleeping on night after night where the extra support of a firmer mattress can be better.

We were having a hard time making up our minds, looking hard at a well reviewed mattress (best info place www.sleeplikethedead.com 135,000 first hand reviews for every bed and brand), but during an email exchange over a feature we weren't sure about the price went up, and Amazon put another we considered on sale with free shipping and at that time no tax, bought it.

http://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Innovati...pr_product_top

12" with a built in 3" memory foam layer. We are thinking about trying some kind of "topper" but its kind of thick as it is.

Note ... many foam mattresses don't say anything in the large print, but the fine print of the warranty they all want a water proof cover. Non breathing plastic sounded like it would suck, but we haven't really noticed anything bad.

Nohr

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2001
www.flickr.com
I've been using this bed frame with a queen-size latex mattress from Foam Factory. I went with a firm 6" core with a soft 3" topper. You just get the two foam slabs in the mail and slap them in the cloth cover, they don't glue them or anything like that. Ended up a bit over $1100 for everything. My only complaint was that the bed ended up being slightly firmer than I was expecting, but it's not a big deal.