For those living with a Significant Other....

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dracos

Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Lola
Originally posted by: ggnl
You'll be spenging a lot more time with her. She'll probably expect you to keep her entertained when you're just sitting at home, so be prepared to give up a lot of free time.

i hope not. she should be able to do stuff without having him keep her busy.
That is a very untrue statement.

I beg to differ it seems sometimes I can't go to the bathroom without my other half needing to know my exact latitude and longitude in the house.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Dracos
I beg to differ it seems sometimes I can't go to the bathroom without my other half needing to know my exact latitude and longitude in the house.
My dog is like that. If I don't lock the door, he pokes hid head inside to make sure everything is going on alright...

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Mwilding
I had to learn to fit all of my clothes into one dresser drawer.

See, I also get the floor of the closet for my shirts and pants. :p

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
I have made quite a few but nothing that I really cared about. For me it was geting an Apt with 2beds 2baths that was key. That way we split everything up. I keep all my clothes and crap in the spare room and she does what she wants in the master. I always hated getting dressed in the morning in a dark room and felt bad making too much noise. So, now I just get up go to the other bathroom and shower then go to the spare bedroom to get dressed.

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
The concessions I've made? Well, probably the first one was to spend a lot more time cleaning ... two of us + dog is much messier than just myself. She works two jobs (which still are less hours than my 1), but I have to do the majority of the cooking and cleaning up. Do I care? Some days, but most days I just love being with her in our soon-to-be-brilliantly restored home.

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: DivideBYZero
All my hobbies were seen as obsessive:

- Car
- Mountain Bike
- Games/Computers

Anything I did without her was on 'short notice'(despite requsit notice) and out of order.

I am now divorced and free. :p

Aren't you the same guy who got pissed cause some guy was checking out your girlfriend/wife/whatever?

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: meltdown75
Originally posted by: iwearnosox
Originally posted by: exilera
Originally posted by: Hyperblaze
What are sacrifices and compromises you've had to do when you two ended up moving in together?

You should NEVER have to sacrifice anything when you're with someone. If they want you to give up something you enjoy, your relationship will eventually hit a wall. Compromise is key, however. Sacrifice and compromise are very, very different things.

QFT to the maximum capacity of QFTability

His pointy is valid and true. You should staple your upper lip to the top of your desk at this point to compensate for your stupidity.

QFT = Quoted for Truth

Whoa - QFT doesn't mean "quit fvcking talking"?

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
None. Why would anyone need to compromise when they move in together. If you do, it's time to move on.

We've been married since we were 19. 13 years in August.

Crab cake

Oct 14, 1999
Separate bathrooms for us. She likes to set the towel warmer on scorching hot, whereas I like it just barely warm. I like the works on my pizza. She's very peculiar about the toppings. We always order a half my way and the other half her way. Most of the times, they get it right. It's quite a sight when they don't.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Originally posted by: ggnl
You'll be spenging a lot more time with her. She'll probably expect you to keep her entertained when you're just sitting at home, so be prepared to give up a lot of free time.

Usually the opposite....and forget sex everytime you see her once she moves in.

I thought that only happened after you got married? :confused:

That's oral sex.

Once married forget anything pink other than drapes and carpet and paint and ....

It's why God invented Duct Tape.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Crab cake
Separate bathrooms for us. She likes to set the towel warmer on scorching hot, whereas I like it just barely warm. I like the works on my pizza. She's very peculiar about the toppings. We always order a half my way and the other half her way. Most of the times, they get it right. It's quite a sight when they don't.

damn turn in your man card, is she making you sell your S2K? :beer:

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
I gave up finishing school... all m friends, moved away from my family... 1,000 miles.
he sunk every penny he had to buy a house in cash.

we do not really compromise on things here. we are very suited to each other and find it easy to share a home, and live together. But he snores and leaves dirty clothes all over. I have computer parts all over and spend too much time online. those are the only peeves we have for each other. but in the great scheme of things... all the good stuff we found in each other... those things dont really make a difference.

:)

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Originally posted by: RaiderJ
Originally posted by: iwearnosox
Originally posted by: exilera
What are sacrifices and compromises you've had to do when you two ended up moving in together?

You should NEVER have to sacrifice anything when you're with someone. If they want you to give up something you enjoy, your relationship will eventually hit a wall. Compromise is key, however. Sacrifice and compromise are very, very different things.

QFT to the maximum capacity of QFTability

His pointy is valid and true. You should staple your upper lip to the top of your desk at this point to compensate for your stupidity.

QFT = Quoted for Truth

Whoa - QFT doesn't mean "quit fvcking talking"?

apparently on some forums it does. but here the overwhelming majority use it for "Quoted For Truth". AFAIK

jamesbond007

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Originally posted by: rh71
not much - she rocks. ;) Well... she had to sacrifice being a bit cleaner than she used to be. I can't stand when there's something on the floor that shouldn't be. She would just walk right by it as if it weren't there.

Yep, mine too! Also, I let her put the toilet paper on the dispenser backwards...at least that is what I call it. She likes it so it rolls off the top and I like it so it rolls off the bottom and rotates counter-clockwise. It's easier to get it off the dispenser and just looks neater. :p

I have more clothes than she does, but I haven't bought anything since the 9th grade. I still wear pants that I wore in the 7th grade. ;) (I'm 22 now) I was a biggun back then! She has more shoes than me, but that's no problem. I calculate which is the better buy when it comes to cost per ounce at the store. She gets annoyed by that, but puts up with it because she knows I'm saving us money in the long-run.

We're still boyfriend and girlfriend, but I think one day she will be my wife and I'll be her husband. OOOOH it's a great feeling to think you know you might have the love of your life...mmm...! :D

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: KarenMarie
I gave up finishing school... all m friends, moved away from my family... 1,000 miles.
he sunk every penny he had to buy a house in cash.

we do not really compromise on things here. we are very suited to each other and find it easy to share a home, and live together. But he snores and leaves dirty clothes all over. I have computer parts all over and spend too much time online. those are the only peeves we have for each other. but in the great scheme of things... all the good stuff we found in each other... those things dont really make a difference.

:)

that's a compromise. it's not a BAD thing.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Amused
I had to give up bringing random hot chicks home from the bars and banging the piss outta 'em.

hand over the man card!

:p

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
DONT DO IT! I've been with mine for over 2 yrs and it's hell. Granted I love her and all, but dang, it feels like we're married when we're not.