For the TV Experts...

chazdraves

Golden Member
May 10, 2002
Allright, long-story-short, I'm getting a Phillips 27PT543S television which I'll be hooking up to my reciever and X-Box. I picked up the X-Box Advanced A/V yesterday, knowing the TV has a S-Video Port, however, I noticed it also has component video ins... My question is this... on a $250 27" TV, will it be worth it to use the component video ports, or should I stick with the S-Video? Basically, will I actually get a better picture with component on this inexpensive a TV? Thanks!

- Chaz

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
The improvement on a non-HD/EDTV between S-Video and Component Video is marginal; you might notice the difference if you're a video-nut and can nitpick at the most minute of details.

That said, if you still have the reciept for the Advanced AV Pack, and won't be using the component inputs for something else (ie DVD player) than you might as well exchange it for a High-Def AV Pack because they are both the same price.

kthroyer

Jan 9, 2004
I would stick with the s-video connection. Most people, myself included, can't notice a quality difference between S-video and component video connections. I have my X-box connected with S-video on a 50" mitsubishi, and the video quality is excellent. I have hooked up my DVD player with both types of connections, and I couldn't tell the difference. The price of the component cables alone will let you buy another game.

chazdraves

Golden Member
May 10, 2002
Well, it happens that I do have the receipt, but I'm afraid if the difference is that minimal, I'll save the component slots for my DVD player... Although, I suppose I could save an optical AND a component spot by using the x-box as a DVD Player, though I've heard mixed reviews on that... Hmmm...

- Chaz

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
stick with the svideo, the component will make a difference if your tv is an HDTV but not that much if its not