Question For i9-9900K, does it matter whether I use Noctua NT-H1 or NT-H2?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
Assuming that I use the spread all over method, should I just leave about 20% of each edge alone so that when the heatsink is pressed, the paste will spread the unfilled area? If I just spread the paste 100% of the CPU area, pressing the heatsink on it may spill the paste over the edges.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you are using a non-conductive paste, then you don't have to worry too much about any spilling out the sides. If you used something like liquid metal, yes, that is a HUGE problem if it is squeezed out over the edge.

Personally I was never a fan of the spread over the CPU area methods. You are more likely to trap a bubble of air in between the heatsink and paste using that method. Using the single line, or one bead prevents the air bubble as the paste displaces the air from the middle of the heatsink out to the edge as the heatsink presses into the CPU. However, this requires a soft enough paste to work this way (which I believe the NT-H1 and NT-H2 are soft enough).

Reactions: anandtechreader

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
It is more difficult to apply Kryonaut. I have assembled the PC. How do I know if I did a sufficiently good job in applying the thermal paste and no need to clearn and reapply again?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
It is more difficult to apply Kryonaut. I have assembled the PC. How do I know if I did a sufficiently good job in applying the thermal paste and no need to clearn and reapply again?

The easiest way is to apply once, run the system for awhile, and look for obvious temp problems. You can then unseat the HSF and look at the spread pattern once you've let it cure for a few days. If you like what you see, re-apply in the same manner.

Reactions: anandtechreader

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
The easiest way is to apply once, run the system for awhile, and look for obvious temp problems. You can then unseat the HSF and look at the spread pattern once you've let it cure for a few days. If you like what you see, re-apply in the same manner.

Thanks. Where and how do I look for possible temp problems?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I see that we are still discussing what Thermal paste is the best?
That really is a moot point, considering there are so many other variables involved in colling a CPU!!
Most high quality thermal paste are comparable!
Even the thermal paste that ships with your colling fan is still adequate for most applications!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Will running a stress test shorten the life of the CPU and other components?

Absolutely. I've heard if you run Intel XTU 3 times, the flux capacitor on your motherboard will seize up.
I'm kidding. :p XTU is safe to test your components. Just don't mess around and manually set your CPU voltages / speeds to high (just like with normal overclocking).

Last edited:

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
I installed ASUS Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. The Package Temperature varies between 29 and 31c. So is this considered to be excellent, good or so so? What temperature range is considered to mean one has good case and cpu cooling?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I installed ASUS Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. The Package Temperature varies between 29 and 31c. So is this considered to be excellent, good or so so? What temperature range is considered to mean one has good case and cpu cooling?

Seems a little warm for a 9900k. Did you use enough thermal paste like this master builder did (watch starting at 8:13)?

Of course that is a good temperature. You did read some reviews before dropping all that money on a 9900k, right? :p

https://www.techspot.com/review/1744-core-i9-9900k-round-two/
Temps.png

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
Hi, I need some consultations. I used the full-spread method. When I took off the heatsink, I took a photo. What do you think of my application of the thermal paste using the full-spread method?

I found it difficult to use the Kryonaut. As you see, they spilled all over the cpu area. Now I am concerned that it may ruin the CPU because some of them seem to reach the juntion between the cpu and the circuit board. I tried to use 99% alcohol and coffee filter and toothpick to remove the Kryonaut on the edge but it got worse. Do I have to worry about it?

Also, some Kryonaut went into the transparent plastic holder which came with the CPU. I used alcohol and coffee filter to clean it. There could be some residuals of fibre from the coffee filter. Is it a good idea to put the CPU in it or just the white foam-like container (the one that the plastic transparent holder that directly wrap the CPU that came with the CPU packaging?

Attachments

• thermalpaste.jpg
    thermalpaste.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 93

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
Looks ugly but I don't think it's a problem.

Why did you remove the heat sink when you had great idle temperatures?

Because my ASUS motherboard is defective. I am returning it.

Now I am a bit afraid to use Kryonaut due to such spilling.

I am concerned that some micro-fibres (from the coffee filter that I used to clean the Kryonaut off the transparent plastic packaging) may remain and get into the CPU. Is it safe to put the CPU directly in the white foam rather than in the transparent plastic package?

Attachments

• packaging.jpg
    packaging.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
The Noctua paste that came with the cooler is fine.

You should have just used it. :)

Good luck with the new board.

I almost cried when I saw the spills.

I need to send in the defective motherboard. Should I put the CPU in the white foam or transparent plastic packaging which have some small fibre from coffee filter and thermal paste residuals?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
It's safe to put the CPU on the foam. The CPU is pretty durable. since it has no pins. I tend to just leave them laying around. :)

Make sure you put the socket protector in the socket on the board.

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
It's safe to put the CPU on the foam. The CPU is pretty durable. since it has no pins. I tend to just leave them laying around. :)

Make sure you put the socket protector in the socket on the board.

Thanks.

Which socket protector? Is it the thin black plastic thing on top of the motherboard's cpu socket?

This brings to another question. During installation of the CPU, the manual seems to mention that we should not just remove it before inserting the CPU. Instead, we should put the CPU in the motherboard, then, put the level to make the pastic pop out autmatically. What is the reason for doing that? In my case, I just took it off manually and then inserted the CPU.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Yes, the black plastic cap that protects the pins in the socket when the CPU is not there.
If you ship the board without it, they can void your warranty.

Some boards have a cap over the top of the whole socket that will pop off when a CPU is inserted.

Some boards have a plastic "fake CPU" that fits in the socket just like the CPU. You have to open the socket and remove it.