For Honor

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
http://forhonor.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/home/

Outside of the fact that it's Ubisoft, this game is amazing. It's basically a fighting game in the guise of an MMO. Albeit a light MMO given the most players in a match is 4v4. I spent the open beta playing it. I did not like it at all at first. In fact I didn't like it until the last 2 days of the beta. The reasons it took me awhile are 1) to grasp the overall control scheme 2) learn a class's moves and combos and 3) learn a class's flow 4) and learn enough about the other classes to know how to play against them. Once I got a basic level of proficiency I started having a blast. Do yourself a favor and check it out. This might be a game of the year IMO.

Highlights:
-Excellent graphics
-High skill cap
-Fun game modes that have something for everyone
-3 factions (The Knights, The Vikings, The Samurai), 4 classes each faction
-Classes have varied strength and weaknesses
-Per class gear and aesthetic customization
-Daily, weekly, and global event quests
-AI Bots are no joke
-Faction War is a nice over the top meta game
-Single player campaign (haven't played it, but it's probably decent given the core mechanics are good.)

Things I don't like
-Neckbeards that think you must 1v1 in multiplayer modes. Something, something "you have no honor" is what they say. No it's that I know that made up rules are made up. Also, there is a "revenge" mechanic in the game. It gives a player a chance to defeat multiple enemies when ganged up on. You still need to be on your game, but the purpose is quite clear. Furthermore, every class has zone attack(s) designed for multiple enemies.

Last edited:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
this game looked awesome and fun in videos but i played the beta, did the tutorial and i had enough. seemed extremely boring and repetitive to me.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
I'm having a good time with the game. The combat is deceptively deep. Each hero type has a total of about 10 different attacks, as well as an block breaker, dodge, and parry mechanic. There is enough variety between them that you really have to pay attention to what hero you are fighting else its easy to get hacked to pieces.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Picked it up last night and did the tutorial only. Watched a few twitch streams and was impressed so far. It's basically like a Moba fighting game. Not really and MMO.

The game play moba aspects are similar to Gigantic with needing to control spawn points on the map, but there are other game modes as well. Difference being that you don't really "level" up your toon during game play really. It takes a lot of mechanical skill to do well from what I can tell. Although a few streams complain about a few broken/cheese types of fighting from some characters.

Evilviking

Jun 2, 2013
Looks cool. But then I read a bunch of negative reviews on Steam. Server disconnects and micro transactions :(

ksheets

Aug 11, 2000
I had a lot of fun playing the beta, the game is an interesting combination of 3rd person/MOBA/StreetFighter and is really complex. I decided to hold off on buying at launch, I just have a feeling this is going to be a humblebundle game in next summers Ubisoft batch....

Alamat

Apr 30, 2003
Tried the Beta and like the OP, started enjoying it after a few hours. Didn't buy it right away but my son wanted it so I got it. The fighting mechanics have a learning curve as its not just hack and slash kind of game. You have to know your guy's moves and all or else your screen goes black and white then red too quickly. Started using an Xbox controller on it too which made that experience better.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Tried the Beta and like the OP, started enjoying it after a few hours. Didn't buy it right away but my son wanted it so I got it. The fighting mechanics have a learning curve as its not just hack and slash kind of game. You have to know your guy's moves and all or else your screen goes black and white then red too quickly. Started using an Xbox controller on it too which made that experience better.

Yah a controller is a better experience over the mouse/keyboard. Some of the moves are really hard to pull off without a controller otherwise.

The game doesn't even give you all the "moves" to do, just the basics from the intro tutorial. Although I just started the story line mode at the moment and the first story was mostly a rehash of the first tutorial.

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
Yah a controller is a better experience over the mouse/keyboard. Some of the moves are really hard to pull off without a controller otherwise.

The game doesn't even give you all the "moves" to do, just the basics from the intro tutorial. Although I just started the story line mode at the moment and the first story was mostly a rehash of the first tutorial.

There is an advanced tutorial. Gives you more steel too. The game doesn't prompt you to do it which is odd.

Some more negatives. People leave, game resyncs, usually one of more people get booted, and general networking related issues. Uplay grouping is buggy.

Fighting system needs work. Guard breaking rules over everything. It's just a game of who messes up first. What else, the ability to dodge and block just as effectively while exhausted. You should have to manage your stamina better. Only offense suffers at this point. There are some interactions that just make no sense. Nobushi long strike into a berseker jumping. That shouldn't allow damage to the noboushi. Stuff like that.

Overall I still love the game. I know the devs are working on all of the issues I mentioned. Should be really solid in a few patches.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Just curious, Is anyone playing the single player campaign? how is it. Can you remap all keyboard controls to any key?..thinking about purchasing this. If the campaign is short and underwhelming, I'll wait for it to hit the $20.00 bargain bin. I hear the P2P multi matchmaking is a nightmare...

Alamat

Apr 30, 2003
Gone through the campaign in Hard. Its more of like "training" to get the moves and all decked out for you. You also get to choose what character you would like to be your main guy.
With regards to MP, its fine for the most part but right now, servers are probably getting hammered that it knocks you off. Quite frustrating especially if you are doing well in the round. Also, there is not much of what you would call "matchmaking" as everyone is thrown into the mix. I was playing last night in Dominion players vs players, and we had guys from 108 gear down to 3. Its either not enough players in the mix or the matchmaking sucks big time.

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
Gone through the campaign in Hard. Its more of like "training" to get the moves and all decked out for you. You also get to choose what character you would like to be your main guy.
With regards to MP, its fine for the most part but right now, servers are probably getting hammered that it knocks you off. Quite frustrating especially if you are doing well in the round. Also, there is not much of what you would call "matchmaking" as everyone is thrown into the mix. I was playing last night in Dominion players vs players, and we had guys from 108 gear down to 3. Its either not enough players in the mix or the matchmaking sucks big time.

This game doesn't use dedicated servers and that is it's biggest flaw. It uses a quasi host-peer-to-peer model. One person is the host and all of the rest are partial hosts. All of the information from everyone is broadcast to the others. Due to this, all people can see the other people's WAN IPs. It makes DDoS or lag exploiting trivial.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
bumping this thread - the marching fire expansion comes out next tuesday and adds the wu-lin (chinese) faction as well as the breach mode gameplay (4v4 PvP), a new solo campaign, and a new co-op PvE mode.

ubisoft also recently (within the last ~6mos?) switched to dedicated servers.

really loving this game. the fight system is unique, the character and map artwork is incredible, and the executions are fun as shit. dominion is the most popular game mode at the moment, though i imagine a good number of people will switch to the breach mode once the expansion hits. duels (1v1) and brawls (2v2) are also a lot of fun, though less popular, since you don't necessarily have to worry about someone ganking you from your blind side(s).

uplay/steam is fenixgoon. hit me up!

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Im amazed anyone still plays this, even more someone on this site.
This is a ps4 game, right?

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Ill tell the truth, i was intrigued by the idea of playing as a samurai, cleaving in two a viking with my naginata.

The game has MASSIVE hype before launch, and then immediate negative critique videos. Im not implying any of them are correct, because Youtubers will make a mountain out of a molehill, but i had assumed the game was either like Evolve (good looking but with profoundly flawed gameplay) or like Warhammer (boring, excessively easy, repetitive gameplay), and that it had died almost as soon as it hit the shelves.

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
This game was great until they put it on the most garbage p2p networking scheme ever. All they had to do was use dedicated servers.