For Govt. Jobs - What is Grade Pay/Band?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001

I started with a masters fresh out of school and got a GS-9. Engineers with a BS should start out with a 7 and then be promoted every year 7-9-11-12.

talyn00

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2003
Originally posted by: Aluvus
Originally posted by: njdevilsfan87
Seems like I should put the lowest of what they're looking for... because some of these seem high, like GS12... where it seems like entry level out of college should be GS5/GS7... but at the same time, GS5 seems below what I should be getting as an entry level engineer.

Fresh graduate with a bachelor's will generally start as a GS-5, in some cases GS-7. Government pay is lower than private-sector pay, simple as that. Some of that is made up in benefits (cheap insurance, education, 40 hr weeks). Please note that engineers typically use a different (better) pay scale than other federal employees. OPM's website is something of a PITA, but choose the current year here and that will cover at least the first few pay grades. There is also a locality adjustment typically of a few percent on top of that.

Why do they even need to ask this question... it'd be much easier if they just had some options like "intern, entry-level, senior X years experience" and etc.

If you have previous government service, there are sometimes-complicated grade and pay retention rules that the government must follow. But yes, it is a poorly-built system for people applying for their first gov't job.

I thought BS was a GS-7 and Masters was at least a GS-9. Phd is around a GS-11.

jteef

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2001
I know a lot of people with bachelor's engineering degrees who started at GS9, especially in the DC area. That's the minimum I would go. There is usually a 9-11-12-13 program at every major organization where your promotions to GS 11, 12, & 13 are automatically scheduled 6mos-1year apart unless you f up big time.

Drekce

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2000
I started as a GS-7 back in 2002 (right out of school with a BS in Comp E.) and am now a mid level GS-13 (though we are now on the NSPS system, so I am really a YD-02). I am going to be put into a temporary GS-14 position in the next month or so, but have to compete for the permanent. Wish me luck!

BTW, I have an MS now and am in Orlando, FL.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Also the Department of Defense civilians are on a totally different pay system. One that is supposedly based on performance.

schmedy

Golden Member
Dec 31, 1999
Government Pay for the same job between different agencies is a big mess. After I got out of the Marine Corps I worked for the DOD for a year, hired as a GS-11 with promotion potential to GS-12 in one year. I then took a job with the FAA, went back down to 11 for a year then back up to 12. We then moved out of the GS pay system in the late 90's to FG, then to FV and we now have letters instead of numbers. The buyout from GS to FG/FV moved most of us who were mid to high stepped 12's to above the pay bands. We no longer have longevity raises like steps and it is "supposed" to be based on performance but no so much really. Anyway in a nut shell bid in on the lowest you are willing to start at, all that matters is the promotion potential of the job, which will be listed in the bid. Another thing to realize is that the hiring process is typically slow, it could last well over a year before you even get any kind of contact, good luck all the same and if you have any questions feel free to pm me.

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
Originally posted by: gotsmack

I started with a masters fresh out of school and got a GS-9. Engineers with a BS should start out with a 7 and then be promoted every year 7-9-11-12.

how long did it take before you got hired?

Aluvus

Platinum Member
Apr 27, 2006
Originally posted by: Codewiz
Also the Department of Defense civilians are on a totally different pay system. One that is supposedly based on performance.

Some but not all DoD civilians are under the NSPS.

Uhtrinity

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2003
Originally posted by: schmedy
Government Pay for the same job between different agencies is a big mess. After I got out of the Marine Corps I worked for the DOD for a year, hired as a GS-11 with promotion potential to GS-12 in one year. I then took a job with the FAA, went back down to 11 for a year then back up to 12. We then moved out of the GS pay system in the late 90's to FG, then to FV and we now have letters instead of numbers. The buyout from GS to FG/FV moved most of us who were mid to high stepped 12's to above the pay bands. We no longer have longevity raises like steps and it is "supposed" to be based on performance but no so much really. Anyway in a nut shell bid in on the lowest you are willing to start at, all that matters is the promotion potential of the job, which will be listed in the bid. Another thing to realize is that the hiring process is typically slow, it could last well over a year before you even get any kind of contact, good luck all the same and if you have any questions feel free to pm me.

I recently received an offer pending security clearance at GS-7 step 1 with potential for GS 9 and 11. This is with an AAS + 120 credits and working towards an IT degree through an online university. I also have roughly 12 years IT experience and multiple certs. The whole process has lasted about 7 months to date, so it can definitely take a while. Hopefully it will be final in the next month or so.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
OP: Best advice is read the job descriptions very intently and then SPAM YOUR RESUME to anything for which you qualify. Seriously, fire away. I applied for 100+ jobs, had two interviews (offered a third too late), and was offered three jobs -- yes, one was without an interview.

I was given a step increase at hiring because of my experience and because (primarily) of my then-current salary -- that's how they based the step offered anyway (it was 4). Also, keep in mind that you can get a merit-based step increase at your annual review, which I did to step 5 (1 year early).

I've only been in civilian service for 15 months now, and it's still somewhat of a mystery to me. Job security is very nice in this economy, however!

Originally posted by: Aluvus
Originally posted by: Codewiz

Some but not all DoD civilians are under the NSPS.

And things could change under the new administration for all anyone knows. There are also specific groups which are either exempt or under a different system, Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System for one notable example (which is moving to pay bands, but modeled after the National Geospatial Agency, not NSPS). Other agencies use completely different systems. No wonder there's so much red tape!

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
Originally posted by: dbk
Originally posted by: gotsmack

how long did it take before you got hired?

Almost 3 months from interview to first day of work. I was offered the job a few weeks after the interview.

However I was sitting at home for 6 months waiting for the interview. I interned for a different organization at my job location while I was an undergrad so I wasn't worried.

The govt hires during certain times of the year and its different every year.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: njdevilsfan87
Seems like I should put the lowest of what they're looking for... because some of these seem high, like GS12... where it seems like entry level out of college should be GS5/GS7... but at the same time, GS5 seems below what I should be getting as an entry level engineer.

Why do they even need to ask this question... it'd be much easier if they just had some options like "intern, entry-level, senior X years experience" and etc.

Govt pay is lower than private pay. That is why GS5-7 seems like its lower than you should get paid. Federal jobs have fringe benefits. Like a high level of job security, federal employee pensions, thrift savings accounts, good medical insurance.