For Amazon Prime users - What shipping providers does Amazon use for your orders?

Pink Jazz

Jan 30, 2016
For the Amazon Prime users here, what shipping services do you get for your Prime orders?

Most of ours come using the hybrid Amazon+USPS shipping, where Amazon transports the item to a local post office and the USPS makes the last mile delivery. We do get occasional UPS and OnTrac as well. We never seem to get FedEx for Prime orders; anything that we order on Amazon that ships FedEx are usually non-Prime items that are fulfilled by the merchant rather than by Amazon. We haven't yet gotten any orders shipped using Amazon Logistics (the white Amazon vans) to our own address, since I think our address might currently be outside of the Amazon Logistics delivery area.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
UPS for most medium or above packages, USPS for small stuff. Fedex on weekends with larger stuff.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Mostly UPS and the Amazon white van delivery service. Really, the vast majority of it comes those two ways. I rarely see the USPS involved.

This in a highly urban NJ city a mere mile or two from NYC.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Generally UPS. USPS for small stuff and Sunday deliveries. I see OnTrac during holiday times.

When I first used Amazon Prime years ago it was pretty much always OnTrac. How times have changed.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Never UPS for me, which is good because they always come really late like past 5pm. Most of the time it's USPS at my door by 230pm. And maybe like 25% of the time it's Amazon local delivery (with grouchy drivers).

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I'd say it's about 90/10 USPS/UPS, which means I get nearly half of the stuff I order. Not bad!

Pink Jazz

Jan 30, 2016
Sorry to bump an old thread, but just as an update since I created this thread, I did get FedEx for a Prime One-Day Saturday Delivery order a few months back; this is the only time I have gotten FedEx for a Prime order so far.

Also, for a recent order that I have made, it appears that Amazon used the Prime Air transportation network. As stated, the majority of my orders are shipped using the Amazon linehaul network with the USPS doing the last mile delivery. However, historically the long distance Prime packages were more likely to ship UPS. However, this time I have an order from the Shakopee, MN fulfillment center that according to the USPS tracking went through Rockford IL, Wilmington, OH, and Phoenix, AZ before being handed off to the USPS. These are Prime Air (operated by Air Transport International) destinations. It looks like I will be getting UPS less often now probably except maybe for some heavy packages.

Pink Jazz

Jan 30, 2016
UPS, USPS, and UPS handed off to USPS for delivery.

The service where UPS hands off to the USPS is called SurePost.

Interestingly we have never gotten that for any of our Prime orders; every time Amazon has shipped UPS for our Prime orders UPS did the last mile on their own. Perhaps it may be more common in smaller cities or in cities more distant from Amazon fulfillment centers.

At the same time, technically every time that Amazon indicates the shipping carrier is USPS for our Prime orders, the USPS is really only delivering the last mile while Amazon itself is doing the rest of the shipment. You can notice when tracking these packages on the USPS website that it is with a "Shipping Partner" until the delivery day. We haven't gotten any Prime orders that used USPS for the entire shipment.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Split between UPS & USPS. I hate the Post Office deliveries because they don't provide good tracking, they show up at random times, they drop it in random places (sometimes stuffed in the mailbox instead of on the porch), and I feel bad for my mail lady because she's always delivered just the mail & now she has a huge payload of packages to drop off. I love my Brown Santa though, he's a cool dude.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Mostly USPS, which sucks because they won't deliver to my door. They bring the package to the office which is only open while I'm at work.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011

Interestingly we have never gotten that for any of our Prime orders; every time Amazon has shipped UPS for our Prime orders UPS did the last mile on their own. Perhaps it may be more common in smaller cities or in cities more distant from Amazon fulfillment centers.

At the same time, technically every time that Amazon indicates the shipping carrier is USPS for our Prime orders, the USPS is really only delivering the last mile while Amazon itself is doing the rest of the shipment. You can notice when tracking these packages on the USPS website that it is with a "Shipping Partner" until the delivery day. We haven't gotten any Prime orders that used USPS for the entire shipment.

I have seen this exact same thing for FedEX, UPS, and Ontract orders from Prime. You can tell this when according to Amazon the package has left its warehouse in Nevada, or Arizona, and carrier has no record of getting any package until the next day, in California. The tracking will show the next day the package was given to the carrier in California. Amazon uses an unknown freight service for many packages to move packages long distances.

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
Mostly UPS, USPS, and sometimes Fedex. Occasionally Amazon uses Ontrac. It's the only time I fear I won't get my delivery.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005

Interestingly we have never gotten that for any of our Prime orders; every time Amazon has shipped UPS for our Prime orders UPS did the last mile on their own.

UPS charges way less for SurePost and those packages are pretty low on the priority list. I would be surprised if Amazon sent any Prime user (i.e. someone with free two day shipping) a package through SurePost.

Nov 20, 2009
I'm still waiting on an Amazon Fire Stick. I ordered it a couple of weeks ago and it isn't slated to be shipped until the 19th of this month--and I have Amazon Prime. So, I may show up, or it may not. But for all other things it is a combination of USP[O]S, UPS and Fed Ex.

Pink Jazz

Jan 30, 2016
UPS charges way less for SurePost and those packages are pretty low on the priority list. I would be surprised if Amazon sent any Prime user (i.e. someone with free two day shipping) a package through SurePost.

I have heard of some users getting Prime packages via SurePost, so I can't say it doesn't happen at all. I even read of one Prime user who got a two-day Prime package using SurePost in one day during one of those occasions when UPS delivers the last mile instead of the USPS due to them being in the area.

Last edited:

Pink Jazz

Jan 30, 2016
I think it depends on the warehouse. I've gotten USPS, UPS, FedEx, and Amazon delivery services.

Perhaps, although your address may come into play as well. I think the reason why we never get Amazon Logistics is because we are outside their delivery area; as far as I know they only deliver to the more central parts of the Phoenix Area, thus for our address Amazon will let the USPS handle the last mile for the majority of our orders.

Even in areas served by Amazon Logistics, they are restricted by volume, and as far as I know, they get a lot of Same-Day and One-Day Prime shipments that Amazon will generally let the USPS deliver the last mile for the Two-Day Prime shipments to reduce the strain on Amazon Logistics.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Split between UPS, USPS and their own delivery.

Their own delivery needs work. Out of the two late Prime deliveries, both were Amazon drivers.