For a CPU that "loves fast RAM" the Threadripper sure hates compatibility...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
We need a new method for dealing with RAM. Honestly, WAAY back in the day I had no issues using RAM in an Intel, AMD, or Cyrix machine. It's gotten to the point now where XFR will work or it won't, and sometimes the system won't even boot at JEDEC rated speeds. IMO JEDEC should require certification for XFR DIMMs and manufacturers should do a better job overall.
I'm pretty sure that you mean XMP, not XFR.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
I'm pretty sure that you mean XMP, not XFR.

Yeah, auto correct for the Gboard appears to be crowdsourced or something now?!?! I originally wrote XMP, maybe it looks at your browsing history or something.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Is there an easy way to determine if ram is dual or single rank when shopping?

If it is 8GB DDR4-3200 CL14 or DDR4-3600 CL15 it is guaranteed to be single-rank Samsung B-die. Others, YMMV. There are some 8GB dual rank sticks as well (commonly Samsung E-die) but they usually have worse timings (and worse compatibility with Zen's IMC).

Assuming the manufacturer doesn't use different ICs for the same part number, sometimes you can look up the part number and look for forum posts where forum users have recorded the actual ICs (and single rank/dual rank) using an app like Thaiphoon Burner.

Reactions: PingSpike

gamervivek

Jan 17, 2011
On my Ryzen 1600 system, 16GB sticks can get upto 2933Mhz 14-14-14-35(original rated at 2800Mhz 14-14-14-35 and 3000Mhz 15-15-15-36(?)) if I put in only 3 sticks, but with 4 they can't go over 2666Mhz.

I tried tweaking the timings to 15-15-15 but they won't even boot at 2800Mhz and the motherboard beeps. Gigabyte gaming 3.

Reactions: lightmanek

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
I know this one keeps being beaten to death, but please, make sure you have the latest UEFI BIOS for your board.
Some boards that hated the fast RAM in an earlier BIOS, can use it without a hitch if updated to a newer BIOS that contains a more up to date AGESA ;)

Reactions: whm1974 and Markfw

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I know this one keeps being beaten to death, but please, make sure you have the latest UEFI BIOS for your board.
Some boards that hated the fast RAM in an earlier BIOS, can use it without a hitch if updated to a newer BIOS that contains a more up to date AGESA ;)
Isn't this one of the first things one should anyway when putting a system together?

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Most people buy pre builts and/or are scared of updating the BIOS let alone entering it. Not that most people visit these sites though. :p

Reactions: whm1974

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Most people buy pre builts and/or are scared of updating the BIOS let alone entering it. Not that most people visit these sites though. :p
Well given that you could brick your system if your system if you are not careful, caution would be advised for these folks then.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Well given that you could brick your system if your system if you are not careful, caution would be advised for these folks then.

Haven't had a bad flash in 20 odd years. But then I'm careful. Avoid Windows based updaters. Reset to defaults. Do the flashing in the BIOS with the BIOS provided tool, and I doubt you'll have such issues today. Heck, some mainboard vendors include dual BIOSs, so if one bricks, you can just switch and reflash the bad one.

Its thankfully not the bad old nail-biting days in the 90's... :D

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
Haven't had a bad flash in 20 odd years. But then I'm careful. Avoid Windows based updaters. Reset to defaults. Do the flashing in the BIOS with the BIOS provided tool, and I doubt you'll have such issues today. Heck, some mainboard vendors include dual BIOSs, so if one bricks, you can just switch and reflash the bad one.

Its thankfully not the bad old nail-biting days in the 90's... :D

I'll never forget the day I lost my Pentium 66 system due to a bad BIOS flash. The system just locked up half way through. After waiting 2 hours I decided to risk powering off/back on and well...she's dead captain!

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I'll never forget the day I lost my Pentium 66 system due to a bad BIOS flash. The system just locked up half way through. After waiting 2 hours I decided to risk powering off/back on and well...she's dead captain!
That's when you pull the ole switcheroo... you boot a different system to DOS, pull its bios chip out, put the chip from the dead one in (system still running) then proceed to force flash the last known good bios. Back then you could do that because the EPROMs were socketed on "most" (some OEMs had 'em soldered on).

Reactions: lightmanek

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Slightly OT...

Last one I lost was a Pentium 90 system, I think. Almost same procedure.

That's when you pull the ole switcheroo... you boot a different system to DOS, pull its bios chip out, put the chip from the dead one in (system still running) then proceed to force flash the last known good bios. Back then you could do that because the EPROMs were socketed on "most" (some OEMs had 'em soldered on).

That was one workaround. Not for the fainthearted though...

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I would've said "Update the BIOS" to echo Dark Zero's remark. My Sabertooth [Intel] board would not run 3200 RAM above ~ 2666 during the first six months or so in its BIOS revisions. At that point, a BIOS revision made it easy to configure one kit of 16GB 2x8, and -- unsupported by G.SKILL's tech support -- two of the same kit as 32GB 4x8.

I'm not an AMD user, and I only glance at threads or posts concerning the Ryzen CPUs. But G.SKILL's configurator offers results for the Taichi motherboard model for X399.

So I submit something of a wager on my part: G.SKILL would only list those models which they've tested with the Taichi board, and you could pretty much count on their running at the spec for those modules and kits. But you could easily pick the wrong kit of TridentZ for failure to consult the configurator. If I'm wrong about this, then I'm wrong. But I've been using G.SKILL RAM for my Intel systems exclusively for about 10 years. If they say those sticks will run at the spec speed for that board, you should be able to count on it.

ItzSlayerTV

Jan 17, 2019
youtube.com
Clearly you didn’t check compatibility before purchasing… On G.Skill’s website they have a list of compatibile RAM specifically for AMD processors. https://www.gskill.com/en/press/view/g-skill-releases-amd-compatible-trident-z-rgb-kits
The highest supported RAM for threadripper (that’s labeled as stable) is 32GB of 3200Mhz in a 4 lane 8GB config. It also has to be the AMD compatable model (TZRX) which is more expensive. Any higher Mhz or GB’s of RAM will have issues. New AMD compatable RAM at 32GB 3466Mhz will also be released sometime in the next couple months (Q1).

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000

I had no problems with 32Gig at 3100...about as fast as I could get it...corsair. But, I'm pretty happy with the speed....

Maybe you could get some tips of the video...

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Clearly you didn’t check compatibility before purchasing… On G.Skill’s website they have a list of compatibile RAM specifically for AMD processors. https://www.gskill.com/en/press/view/g-skill-releases-amd-compatible-trident-z-rgb-kits
The highest supported RAM for threadripper (that’s labeled as stable) is 32GB of 3200Mhz in a 4 lane 8GB config. It also has to be the AMD compatable model (TZRX) which is more expensive. Any higher Mhz or GB’s of RAM will have issues. New AMD compatable RAM at 32GB 3466Mhz will also be released sometime in the next couple months (Q1).
I have been running gskill 3600 cl15@3466 on my threadrippers since they came out with no problems.