Football vs American Football

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

se7en

Platinum Member
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by: bignateyk
Hockey > Rugby > Am. Football >> soccer >> basketball

hockey isnt a sport its a pastime when theres nothing else on.

Snapster

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
Originally posted by: flxnimprtmscl
58 seconds into that video has got to be one of the badest ass stiff arms ever.

Oh, and soccer is a bullshit "sport". I think we can all agree on that one.

Nope 'we' cannot. American football has it's positives as well as it's negatives, just like any sport and I will give it respect where it's due, it's fun to watch except when you get sick of the Pats this year. The two are not comparable, and would be unfair to just pick up on the good of one sport you love and bad of a sport you don't.

Football (soccer) is well and truly a sport. Every player bar 1 on the pitch runs at least 10 miles a game in under 90 mins at various paces, some up to 25. They do this whilst having to maintain the balance, skill and ability to control the ball with their feet and do something with the ball. I could quite easily say to anyone who plays sports that that they could catch a ball, and throw it, i.e. just the basic stuff nowhere near the skill required of NFL or collage ball standard. You can also say the same people would have greater difficultly in being able to control a ball whilst running, again just the basic skills. Football fans hate those that ruin the game with diving and cheating, but until rules are changed we are locked into accepting these bad moments along with all the beautiful plays.

Snapster

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad
football is a much more complex and team oriented sport than soccer.

You make it sound like football (soccer) isn't team oriented at all when it is. One person can easily cause teams to win or lose a game by a mistake or a moment of genius. You have to defend as a team, and attack as a team just like American football. Maybe you are drawing your conclusions from your plays. I will admit I don't know about them as I do not watch the sport enough to pick them up but I gather that things are very planned, these guys run here, these guys are to block these are to fake etc. There are similar situations in football, free kicks and corners can be highly scripted and practised on the training field even if they don't always come out right on match day.

overst33r

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Snapster

You make it sound like football (soccer) isn't team oriented at all when it is. One person can easily cause teams to win or lose a game by a mistake or a moment of genius. You have to defend as a team, and attack as a team just like American football. Maybe you are drawing your conclusions from your plays. I will admit I don't know about them as I do not watch the sport enough to pick them up but I gather that things are very planned, these guys run here, these guys are to block these are to fake etc. There are similar situations in football, free kicks and corners can be highly scripted and practised on the training field even if they don't always come out right on match day.

Why bother? He obviously hasn't played soccer at any level higher than recess.

Apr 17, 2005
Originally posted by: mariok2006

i never said it wasn't...i'm just saying football is more so than soccer.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: mariok2006

i never said it wasn't...i'm just saying football is more so than soccer.

i will disagree there. football you essentially have 2 teams - offense and defense.

soccer is 1 team - all 11 players are on the field at the same time. you are only allowed 1 substitution then entire 90 minutes of play.

jai6638

Golden Member
Apr 9, 2004
Originally posted by: LS21
soccer would be so awesome if the plays were start-and-stop.

and if they get the ball out of bounds, they could stop the clock, so the trailing team could strategize a come-back plan. and if the ball is too far from the sidelines, they could spike the ball, and then have the clock stop again! if they let teams extend a 2-minute stretch into 30 minutes of real actual time, it would be so much more fun!

Its great the way it is. I'd probably stop watching soccer if it was start-and-stop like Football.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
My main problem with soccer is that to me, it doesn't make any sense to eliminate what people have most control over.. their hands. Making a great catch, throwing a great pitch.. shooting a deep 3.. are all more exciting to me than seeing someone kick even an amazing goal. The whole point of a sport is to see great coordination and the hands/arms are a much better showcase than the feet and legs.. and I guess head.

I like watching goalies actually.. Does anyone else understand what I'm saying?

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
How come people bash soccer in an american forum? :Q /sarcasm

Every time someone makes one of these threads the content is the same :laugh:

Heres the bottom line: go indulge yourselves in your dear american football while the rest of the world enjoys soccer, cuz no one outside america gives a crap about it