Footage shows cops waiting in hallway during Las Vegas massacre

The Merg

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2009
Unfortunately, those cops froze with fear. The one officer even documented it in his report. And while those officers didn’t get the job done, there were plenty more that put themselves in harms way that night to try to protect citizens that were being shot at.

Your statements that cops just look out for themselves is completely without merit.

Here is a case where other Las Vegas cops pursue murder suspects that are actively shooting at them. Yup, I’m sure they were thinking it’s too dangerous, right?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W9699n4Hd2g&feature=youtu.be

- Merg

Mar 11, 2004
That is a shame, but it shows an inherent problem with policing and dealing with such situations. Human beings are too prone to not living up to the ideals that the badges and uniforms that we bestow upon them were intended to follow. Or maybe America just doesn't actually realize that those ideals are a sham and always were. Its actually so rare when they are realized that we go out of our way to signify them and bestow medals upon them for it.

Unfortunately, those cops froze with fear. The one officer even documented it in his report. And while those officers didn’t get the job done, there were plenty more that put themselves in harms way that night to try to protect citizens that were being shot at.

Your statements that cops just look out for themselves is completely without merit.

Here is a case where other Las Vegas cops pursue murder suspects that are actively shooting at them. Yup, I’m sure they were thinking it’s too dangerous, right?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W9699n4Hd2g&feature=youtu.be

- Merg

Sorry, no. There's ample evidence of such. One even took it to the Supreme Court to make sure that it was legally acknowledged.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia

I had a longtime friend become a cop. He straight up told me that their first priority was always Cover Your Ass (they say CYA because they know that it makes them sound like assholes so they abbreviate it). Certainly there are plenty of officers that are willing to eschew that, but saying its completely without merit is objectively false. The issue is that its become systemic in too many departments, where they openly view the public as their enemy and so they're just their to protect their own against the whole rest of the world.

The Merg

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2009
Self preservation is pretty important.

That’s true. And cops are taught that if you are dead or seriously injured, you can’t help anyone else, however, there are times they need to take action.

My issue was the blanket statement that because these two officers froze (one of which was still a rookie in training), accusing cops of only looking out for themselves is without merit.

- Merg

The Merg

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2009
That is a shame, but it shows an inherent problem with policing and dealing with such situations. Human beings are too prone to not living up to the ideals that the badges and uniforms that we bestow upon them were intended to follow. Or maybe America just doesn't actually realize that those ideals are a sham and always were. Its actually so rare when they are realized that we go out of our way to signify them and bestow medals upon them for it.

Sorry, no. There's ample evidence of such. One even took it to the Supreme Court to make sure that it was legally acknowledged.

I had a longtime friend become a cop. He straight up told me that their first priority was always Cover Your Ass (they say CYA because they know that it makes them sound like assholes so they abbreviate it). Certainly there are plenty of officers that are willing to eschew that, but saying its completely without merit is objectively false. The issue is that its become systemic in too many departments, where they openly view the public as their enemy and so they're just their to protect their own against the whole rest of the world.

I know all about that Supreme Court case, however, that doesn’t mean that cops only look out for themselves. As I mentioned in another post, cops are trained to take care of themselves first, because if they are dead it doesn’t do anyone else any good. I would think that maybe your friend’s CYA might be more along those lines.

I would say that there are more cops that would run towards gunfire as opposed to away from it, although there are going to be those that do (Parkland SRO and these Vegas cops).

Once again, it’s generally going to be those that fail to do their job or do it poorly for which we will hear the most about as opposed to those that silently perform their job the way it should be done.

- Merg

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000

Answer, robocop. Right?