'Foot in mouth' prize for Rumsfeld

Mrburns2007

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2001
"Reports that say something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know," Rumsfeld told a news briefing.

"We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know

Makes perfect sense to me !

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/12/01/rumsfeld.english.reut/index.html

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
John Lister, spokesman for the campaign which strives to have public information delivered in clear, straightforward English, said: "We think we know what he means. But we don't know if we really know."

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
lol I wonder if he can say that while patting his head and rubbing his tummy at the same time.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
What Rummy meant . . . "you cannot know the unknowable . . . but you can put it in the SOTU address . . . "

zzzz

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2000
Arnold is not much behind..
"I think that gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman," the new California governor said.

PaperclipGod

Banned
Apr 7, 2003
If you take Rummy's quote one section at a time, it actually makes sense. Reading it through quickly looks bizarre though. I certainly dont think it deserves the "foot in mouth" prize, though, since he really didnt say something stupid or odd... just wasnt terribly eloquent. :/

Arnold should have won with that gay marriage comment. :D

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
it makes sense to me.
known:
1. you know something
2. there are certain things you don't know, but you want to find out
3.unknown unknowns- things you don't know because you haven't been affected by them.

rjain

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
I think a better (as far as relevance to the progression of Rummy's statement) characterization of unknown unknowns are things that we will discover are known unknowns when we make the known unknowns into known knowns.

But what about unknown knowns (things we don't know we know, but we know)? Those are the really sticky problems. ;)

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Actually unknown unknown is more often a reflection of false knowledge . . . you think you know something when in reality you do not. Failure to acknowledge ignorance is arguably this administration's worst affliction.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
"We know they have WMD." What category would that statement fall under?

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
I think it is pretty easy to understand. Well, granted the repeated use of the words 'known' and 'unkown' make it somewhat difficult to read, but the substitution of other words would just complicate things.

Maybe, just perhaps, people need to think about what is being said.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
I think it is pretty easy to understand . . . Maybe, just perhaps, people need to think about what is being said.

Oh I can read between the lines . . . Rummy is saying he's FOS.

Shad0hawK

Banned
May 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Mrburns2007
"Reports that say something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know," Rumsfeld told a news briefing.

"We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know

Makes perfect sense to me !

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/12/01/rumsfeld.english.reut/index.html

not quite clintonesque but pretty close.

Shad0hawK

Banned
May 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Gaard
"We know they have WMD." What category would that statement fall under?

the same as this one?

"The community of nations may see more and more of the very kind of threat Iraq poses now: a rogue state with weapons of mass destruction, ready to use them or provide them to terrorists. If we fail to respond today, Saddam and all those who would follow in his footsteps will be emboldened tomorrow."

"In short, the inspectors are saying that even if they could stay in Iraq, their work would be a sham. Saddam's deception has defeated their effectiveness. Instead of the inspectors disarming Saddam, Saddam has disarmed the inspectors."

"The hard fact is that so long as Saddam remains in power, he threatens the well-being of his people, the peace of his region, the security of the world.The best way to end that threat once and for all is with a new Iraqi government -- a government ready to live in peace with its neighbors, a government that respects the rights of its people. Bringing change in Baghdad will take time and effort. We will strengthen our engagement with the full range of Iraqi opposition forces and work with them effectively and prudently."

all quotes by bill clinton, was he "lying" too?

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Shad0hawK
all quotes by bill clinton, was he "lying" too?

Yes. He was trying to distract the Republicans from Monica Lewinsky. Three or four days of bombing Iraq seemed to do the trick.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
It's a joke award. I'm sure if you try hard enough you can glean the meaning from the words - but honestly - it's pretty funny and could have been put much clearer.

Let's not have a sense of humour failure over it. I'm sure Rumsfeld would see the fun in it.

Cheers,

Andy