Foodies in Chicago: what's new, what's still worth checking out?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
No. Chains never are the best. There's 50 hot dog stands on the North side alone that blow that crap out of the water. Try Wiener's Circle, or Super Dawg.

Portillos is mediocre at best.
This place is the bomb:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/mister-js-chicago

As far as stuff around loop:
Union Sushi is great, especially the bbq
Havana for cuban is solid and cheap
Betweeen - hidden peruvian fushion gem in wicker park
Untitled - in the loop, great vibe (prohibition era speakeasy)

Booz:
BigStar - brewery, open on weekends
Revolution Brewing - brewery, have great food menu also
BillyGoatTavern - <3 that place

Last edited:

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Chicago is full of brunch places, I haven't been to any place that hits me as "wow, this is a must go" though.

Yolk is always decent, the bongo room has some great pancake/sweet seasonal specials (that one is a bit down south: wabash and roosevelt) and wildberry near the AON center has great portions and good food, but I go there a lot so I might have gotten used to it? :p

There's a little place near the face fountains on Michigan called "Russian tea time" that does a great little "tea time" tasting if you're interested in russian cuisine. Their tea is always excellent and is the main attraction (obviously) but the tasting platter is good for 2 and always fills me up. They serve it up until 2 or 3 I think so you can count that as brunch I guess?

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Portillos is mediocre at best.
This place is the bomb:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/mister-js-chicago

As far as stuff around loop:
Union Sushi is great, especially the bbq
Havana for cuban is solid and cheap
Betweeen - hidden peruvian fushion gem in wicker park
Untitled - in the loop, great vibe (prohibition era speakeasy)

Booz:
BigStar - brewery, open on weekends
Revolution Brewing - brewery, have great food menu also
BillyGoatTavern - <3 that place

I had a decent charburger at the Billy Goat on Wells but the last time I ate at the original location it was fairly mediocre. Max's on Adams was pretty good and better than the Billy Goat but the best, at least in my father's opinion but I thought it was pretty damn good too, was Peppers on Van Buren near the Exchanges. Man, that was good stuff, and they literally had a hole-in-the-wall. I went by there the other day and I noticed that it's all changed. Still Peppers but it didn't look like the original that I would hit up. They were closed that day so I couldn't give them a try. Been so long since I was down at the Stock Exchange I never knew after all this time.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Chicago is full of brunch places, I haven't been to any place that hits me as "wow, this is a must go" though.

Yolk is always decent, the bongo room has some great pancake/sweet seasonal specials (that one is a bit down south: wabash and roosevelt) and wildberry near the AON center has great portions and good food, but I go there a lot so I might have gotten used to it? :p

Bongo Room has two more outposts...one in Wicker Park and another in Andersonville. I'm sort of partial to the Over Easy Cafe in Ravenswood and the Original Pancake House (locations on Clark and Bellevue). Also like 2 Sparrows, City Tavern, and Au Cheval.

Sheep

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2006
Pequod's Pizza is the best pizza. Check it out.

This...and yes, that is a shark with a pair of panties on its head on their sign.

The Publican's my personal favorite in the city. The first time we went we ordered way too much food for two but it was all fantastic.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
How hard is it to get a table at Frontera Grill?

Not hard, just depends on your timing. They dont take resos but if you just show up you can likely get in right away. If you show up on a Friday at 8pm you're not going to get in obviously without a wait but its reasonable most times.

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
Not hard, just depends on your timing. They dont take resos but if you just show up you can likely get in right away. If you show up on a Friday at 8pm you're not going to get in obviously without a wait but its reasonable most times.

Cool... is it really good, or just famous and hyped?

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Cool... is it really good, or just famous and hyped?

A bit of both.. it's definitely hyped up but you will get delicious, authentic Mexican flavors there. It's not just a name in other words, they back up their reputation. The sister restaurant Topolobampo, the fine dining arm of his restaurant empire, is incredible albeit a bit pricey. They always do really interesting plates there. In a choice between the two I would go Topo because Chicago itself has so many amazing little hole in the wall Mexican joints as it is.

His caldos/torta concept restaurant, Xoco, is also really good. It's stupidly hard to get into because of their limited hours and there's usually a decent line, but it's worth going to.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
A bit of both.. it's definitely hyped up but you will get delicious, authentic Mexican flavors there. It's not just a name in other words, they back up their reputation. The sister restaurant Topolobampo, the fine dining arm of his restaurant empire, is incredible albeit a bit pricey. They always do really interesting plates there. In a choice between the two I would go Topo because Chicago itself has so many amazing little hole in the wall Mexican joints as it is.

His caldos/torta concept restaurant, Xoco, is also really good. It's stupidly hard to get into because of their limited hours and there's usually a decent line, but it's worth going to.

And be careful with the hot sauce. Holy shit.

Chapbass

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
No. Chains never are the best. There's 50 hot dog stands on the North side alone that blow that crap out of the water. Try Wiener's Circle, or Super Dawg.

Might need to disagree with you on this. Portillos is excellent, yeah some of the hot dog stands are better, but they're solid. Super Dawg, on the other hand, is awful. Never understood the hype. I mean, its okay I suppose, but definitely not "OMG LETS GO TO SUPERDAWG!"

Never been to Weiner's Circle though, I'll have to try it.

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Might need to disagree with you on this. Portillos is excellent, yeah some of the hot dog stands are better, but they're solid. Super Dawg, on the other hand, is awful. Never understood the hype. I mean, its okay I suppose, but definitely not "OMG LETS GO TO SUPERDAWG!"

Never been to Weiner's Circle though, I'll have to try it.

Portillo's uses the same dogs, buns, and condiments as everywhere else good, but their bring the kids turnstyle zoo atmosphere and their abominable Italian co-restaurant are deal breakers. There just way too much good Italian in Chicago to ever bother with that place.

Chapbass

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
Portillo's uses the same dogs, buns, and condiments as everywhere else good, but their bring the kids turnstyle zoo atmosphere and their abominable Italian co-restaurant are deal breakers. There just way too much good Italian in Chicago to ever bother with that place.

IMO, that totally depends on which Portillos you go to. The co-restaurants change depending on which location you're at, and some are much more calm than others.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Haven't had much down time, but I thought some of you would like an update. Only had one night free so far but we did it right - snagged a table at Next, took one of my beautiful co-workers, are for 3 hours and then went to see Mord Fustang at House of Blues. An eclectic evening but it was awesome. :)

Thinking Girl & the pig or Publican tomorrow.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Haven't had much down time, but I thought some of you would like an update. Only had one night free so far but we did it right - snagged a table at Next, took one of my beautiful co-workers, are for 3 hours and then went to see Mord Fustang at House of Blues. An eclectic evening but it was awesome. :)

Thinking Girl & the pig or Publican tomorrow.

Nice. How was "The Hunt"?

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
I loved the theme - nice range of simple and complex, familiar and adventuresome. We're still talking about what we enjoyed the most. Took home a ticket with the evening's menu and pairings, so I won't be forgetting about the specifics. Debating whether or not to go out for a drink, since it's a Monday. Gilt Bar is close but closes at midnight.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Looks like we're doing the Aviary for dinner tomorrow...happens to be V-day, no pressure! Lol.