Food stamps for KFC and tacobell ?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
i've tried very hard to live a life without any help or government assistance. but these days it seems these people have it better than i do. its no longer embarrassing to get food stamps. its like a credit card and quite popular

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
It's clear this would encourage the use of food stamps and therefore increase the cost of the program as well as the profit of the restaurants who get on board.

Other than the pushers motives, I don't have a terrible problem with that tbh, we are talking about feeding people. I'd like to see the program tied to volunteer work (for those capable) or some form of helping others to achieve maximum benefit. Smarter people than me can figure out a reasonable incentive structure.

The lobbying is the ugliest thing here, not the individuals who who stand to benefit. If the restaurants are going to be subsidized by the taxpayer dollar they ought to forfeit a high % of profit (back to the tax payer) from the ability to do so. Then we will see how much integrity is behind all the quotes from the lobbyists that act as though the restaurants are so concerned about the well being of the people they can feed. Those kind are worse than scum.

Better yet, if the taxpayers are going to take a hit from this type of policy, then let the god damned restaurants take a hit as well. Offer a discount menu for those on SNAP and see how that works while attempting to feed the needy at just under a break even cost.

Last edited:

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
It's clear this would encourage the use of food stamps and therefore increase the cost of the program as well as the profit of the restaurants who get on board.

Other than the pushers motives, I don't have a terrible problem with that tbh, we are talking about feeding people. I'd like to see the program tied to volunteer work (for those capable) or some form of helping others to achieve maximum benefit. Smarter people than me can figure out a reasonable incentive structure.

The lobbying is the ugliest thing here, not the individuals who who stand to benefit. If the restaurants are going to be subsidized by the taxpayer dollar they ought to forfeit a high % of profit (back to the tax payer) from the ability to do so. Then we will see how much integrity is behind all the quotes from the lobbyists that act as though the restaurants are so concerned about the well being of the people they can feed. Those kind are worse than scum.

Better yet, if the taxpayers are going to take a hit from this type of policy, then let the god damned restaurants take a hit as well. Offer a discount menu for those on SNAP and see how that works while attempting to feed the needy at a break even cost.

Restaurant/business response to your proposal?

Raise prices on paying customers to make up the loss. So the tax payer gets double screwed.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Once in a while a man, a woman or a child deserves a good meal. Are all men truly created equal?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Raise prices on paying customers to make up the loss. So the tax payer gets double screwed.

What part of "break even" did yo unot understand, not that it'll happen?

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Good idea. And after they become morbidly obese from eating fast food for every meal, we can pay for their medical care too.

Edit: For the record, I don't have a problem with food stamps. I don't believe we, as a civilized society, should just let people starve. I don't support letting food stamps be used for more than the necessities, however. If you want more options, pay for them yourselves.

Last edited:

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
The most obvious problem is that the poor will have even more options to buy garbage food. I have no problem with food stamps if they are used to buy good food. Why would the govt move in this direction? Why are there not more restrictions on what can be bought?

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Food stamps need to be cut back and made like WIC. Give them a list of stuff that they can buy and that's it. If they don't like it, starve.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999

You think they would rather raise prices than stop accepting food stamps?

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
If a poor person on food stamps wants lobster they should be able to buy it. If they want filet mignon who are we to say no. Stop being snobby and hating on the people who have so little. Seems like if most of you had your way the poor would be eating gruel, with stale bread, and dry chicken. Stop being classist.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
It's a crime; you're a criminal if you buy them; perhaps we should increase the security against this, requiring photo id.

Crime or not its rampant, and ID would help. As it is now i dont think any form of ID is needed to use them.

And because its so easy to abuse, its easy to see how [and why] freeloaders who normally would have no money for beer or drugs are able to get them by trading their stamps away for real money.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If a poor person on food stamps wants lobster they should be able to buy it. If they want filet mignon who are we to say no. Stop being snobby and hating on the people who have so little. Seems like if most of you had your way the poor would be eating gruel, with stale bread, and dry chicken. Stop being classist.

If a poor person wants a new car, who are we to say no? If a poor person wants a free McMansion, society owes it to them!

Goddamnit, everything should be free for everyone, then nobody would be poor!

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
These days fast food is probably cheaper than cooking. Unless you're talking about a diet consisting solely of rice.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Society is fucked, Honestly i believe its to late to change at this point. Whats next goverment supplied ferraris so the poor can rip to KFC and buy there chicken.

When i first moved out on my own i was so poor, making less than $8 a hour working not even full time and had a rent payment of $650 a month. I made all my own bread/buns from scratch and only bought crappy cuts of meat and usually only what was on sale. Bought flour in bulk and rice in bulk. Ate alot of ramen and mac and cheese and NEVER ate out for months on end, didnt have cable TV or go to movies. I did have internet and thats how i entertained myself. Life literally sucked for a few years but i was too proud to move back home or ask parents or goverment for a handout.

How many people would go through that nowdays? not many i'll bet, today everyone thinks they are entitled to a good life even when they put in zero effort, they think leeching off others is fine.

I dont understnad how people can just let themselves get cought up in this entitlement society, it would drive me crazy, i hate owing people money and never take handouts. its just not how i was raised.

People need to go out and get jobs, honetly its not that hard and if you are dirt poor you just dont pick and choose you apply for any and all jobs. I've had over 20 jobs in my lifetime so far, only maybe 3 or 4 that i liked. But you do what you need to do to put food in your mouth. I've worked roofing during the summer in 30 degree celcius heat, i've worked in shit processing plants, ive worked in warehouses of very dangerous chemicals where safty procedures were thrown out the window, alot of it sucked but it put food on my table. And i never went more than a week between jobs ever for the simple reason i never had enough money saved to support myself longer than that. You can ALWAYS get a job if you are willing to do whatever it takes to support yourself.

Now that i am older and have a much better job and i look back im proud of what i went though and how i made it on my own. What do people on the dole think, they look back and are proud of how they leech off everone else thats actually working and paying taxes? how they leech of people like me when i was 17 and barly feeding myself yet i had to support there lazy asses to by paying taxes. So there i am eating ramen and baking my own bread and they get to eat at KFC on the goverment dime? WTF?

Its crap like this that honestly makes me think I should just buy some land up north and become a hermit, dealing with the entitlement society we have now pisses me off to no extent.

Conscript

Golden Member
Mar 19, 2001
I'm ok with as long as it's contingent on them filling out an application when they show up at Taco Bell/KFC. If they can make it there to order, they can make it there to work. Annnd they will get employee discounts to boot.

Sorry in advance libs, know this already goes against your ideals, but your ideals are already turning us into a second rate Euro country. I'll take this option over mandatory Chinese language classes for my children, if we don't start getting back, and quick, to what made this country great once. And that is simply being rewarded for your own hard work, and not for soneone elses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
These days fast food is probably cheaper than cooking. Unless you're talking about a diet consisting solely of rice.
boberfet thinks your diet should be carrots and celery. Calories? What are those? I don't need calories because all of my energy comes from smoking meth.
Damn real food is ridiculously expensive (compared to starch). What's funked is that cooked chickens at Costco are actually cheaper than raw chickens. The only reason I buy the raw ones is because I like to cook stuff myself.

IMO, poor people shouldn't be able to afford Beef. I can't, so they shouldn't either. That stuff is at least twice as expensive as pork. Beef t-bone steak (called t-bone steak) is expensive as hell but pork t-bone steak (called pork chops) are slightly more expensive than a palm job from a shemale. Why do people eat pork anyway? It's more expensive than chicken yet it sucks. What the fug?

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Sorry in advance libs, know this already goes against your ideals, but your ideals are already turning us into a second rate Euro country.
Maybe you're not aware of this but poor parts of the US are much worse than anything you can find in Europe. Even the crappy war torn parts of Europe.

One thing Europeans and Canadians immediately notice about the US is how poor the poor areas are. It's just unbelievable. We don't see that stuff in our own countries.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Maybe you're not aware of this but poor parts of the US are much worse than anything you can find in Europe. Even the crappy war torn parts of Europe.

One thing Europeans and Canadians immediately notice about the US is how poor the poor areas are. It's just unbelievable. We don't see that stuff in our own countries.

http://www.neurope.eu/article/slum-dwellers-approaching-billion-mark
Slum dwellers approaching the billion mark
Article | January 12, 2008 - 2:55pm | By

Close to one billion people, or one in every six, live in an urban slum. At the European Parliament in Strasbourg recently, MEP Gay Mitchell of Ireland the Commissioner for Development Louis Michel about what is being done to improve the lives of slum dwellers. MEP Mitchell said:

I have also been to the Czech Republic... :O What a dump.

Last edited:

theevilsharpie

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2009
I'm ok with as long as it's contingent on them filling out an application when they show up at Taco Bell/KFC. If they can make it there to order, they can make it there to work. Annnd they will get employee discounts to boot.

Sorry in advance libs, know this already goes against your ideals, but your ideals are already turning us into a second rate Euro country. I'll take this option over mandatory Chinese language classes for my children, if we don't start getting back, and quick, to what made this country great once. And that is simply being rewarded for your own hard work, and not for soneone elses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

The minimum wage in the US is $7.25/hr. I'm not sure how much Taco Bell or KFC workers make, but I doubt it's much higher than minimum wage for anyone other than the managers. Assuming that the worker is working a full-time (40 hours/week), that works out to a yearly gross salary of about $15,000.

For somebody with one or more children, that salary would still make them eligible for food stamps. And although I've never worked in the fast-food industry, it's my understanding that full-time non-management positions are not the norm.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

Please don't post again until you move out of your mothers basement.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

You've never been to a Bulgarian ghetto have you? The US doesn't know what real poverty is anymore.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
The minimum wage in the US is $7.25/hr. I'm not sure how much Taco Bell or KFC workers make, but I doubt it's much higher than minimum wage for anyone other than the managers. Assuming that the worker is working a full-time (40 hours/week), that works out to a yearly gross salary of about $15,000.

For somebody with one or more children, that salary would still make them eligible for food stamps. And although I've never worked in the fast-food industry, it's my understanding that full-time non-management positions are not the norm.

Ok, they can still get food stamps while they're working, just not as much as they used to. But why work for the same amount you get for not working?